Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 22, 2013
I had this same product with the glass carafe, and broke it when I dumping out the grounds. At first I thought this was perfect because it was just like my glass one but the plastic seemed considerably more durable. Boy was I wrong. The plastic started showing cracks after a couple months, but it was just inside the plastic and it didn't leak. After a few more months the cracks had spread considerably. After about 8 months it started leaking whenever you pushed the plunger down. Now, ten months in, it leaks so bad that I'm on here shopping for a new one...and I can guarantee it won't have a carafe made of plastic.
18 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2017
DO NOT PURCHASE!! I've never been spurred to write a negative Amazon review before but my experience with Bodum has been horrific! I purchased a Bodum Chambord 8 Cup Shatterproof French Press on 12/16/16. Like many other reviewers, the shatterproof "vessel" soon developed several stress cracks, even though I'm quite certain that I handled it with care. I've tried to have the vessel replaced via Bodum customer service. The initial phone rep. strongly implied that the damaged press MUST be due to my neglect. I followed-up with an email: receipt pdf & jpeg photos of the damaged vessel - this email went w/out a response from Bodum for 5 days. I followed-up with a second email at which point Bodum FINALLY responded to state that they couldn't open my attachments. (Funny how the image files work for Amazon though?!) Additional follow-up emails have again gone unresponded to and I can't gain access to a customer service supervisor via the 800 number. End analysis - big headaches and now searching for a better French press
review imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on July 22, 2012
I bought this as a gift, based on the reputation of the brand, and some personal experience with other (cheaper) presses. I just visited the gift recipient, and got to see this press for the first time myself. How disappointing to see it in person! Overall it works fine, but the top & filter assembly is flimsy & cheap-feeling. The flask is nice with a good enough metal frame, but the top is cheap metallic-flash-coated plastic, and the fit of the lid is a little loose. It doesn't seal tight against the flask. The filter looks like a flimsy plastic assembly (maybe nylon?) - it may work OK, no idea about longevity, so neutral comments about that piece. However, the plunger is too long for the flask, and therefore when pushed all the way down flat against the grounds, it does not hold the top in place. That means during pouring you have to put your thumb on the (hot) lid, or else the lid will lift up about 1/4". This may not seem like such an issue, but that means the seal around the lid lifts up from the flask, and the coffee pours out the lip, but also around the lid near the lip, making an unruly waterfall of coffee, not a directed stream from the spout. Overall I am disappointed to see what I gave as a gift, having expected a higher quality item. I suppose this is the risk of buying a gift on line instead of directly from Macy's or some other retail establishment, where I could hold it in my hand before buying. If I could sneak it out of this house & return it I would. It just is not the quality object I had expected from this brand. It works, it's OK, so I cannot rate it any lower than "OK", but it definitely is a let-down from the nice glass-and-metal French press that I had expected, and I definitely cannot say "I love it". Functionally, my own 2 other cheaper French presses work better, even if they are not as elegant in appearance.
4 people found this helpful
on February 26, 2012
I've used glass Bodum French presses for over a decade. (Our son is adult now, but I never worried about using a glass carafe around him. I always kept it out of his reach because of the scalding hazard from hot coffee, not that the carafe was glass.) But after breaking my last glass carafe I ordered this plastic carafe version in May 2011. It differed from the description (and my other Bodums) in having a silicone rubber 'mesh' filter rather than the standard 3-part stainless steel filter assembly. After the first few months this silicone filter became stained, and the stain won't come out. (I did stop just short of trying bleach on it, though. Vinegar soaks on the filter didn't work.) The plastic carafe also doesn't keep that clear clean look very long (at least not using the well water we used to have). I've noticed no difference in the taste of coffee over the glass carafes.

However, for the last 2 months I noticed the filter plunger would stick when pushing down on it. I thought it was the silicone filter breaking down and sticking on the side of the carafe. But now there are times it won't depress at all; I looked and there is a group of small vertical stress fractures in one area of the plastic carafe. These fractures have made the inside of the carafe rough so that the press won't always work. I'm guessing that the carafe will split any day now. (Note: I used this press once a day. I washed it mostly by hand and occasionally in the dishwasher with no heat drying. Just the same as I had done with the glass Bodums all those years. I have never dropped this carafe. Our water is from wells, with no chlorine, etc like you would have on a public water system.)

So this Bodum French press is now basically useless after only 9 months (really after only 7 months). I found that the plastic carafe is thin-walled and not up to the stresses of normal use. (Maybe Bodum wants people to have to replace the plastic carafes also...) I will go back to a cleanable glass carafe & stainless steel filter model or try to find an all stainless press. But I will also be looking for brands other than Bodum after this experience.
14 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on September 2, 2017
I am very disappointed. I've been using a French Press, made by this company for decades. The stem/plunger mechanism in my old one forced me to replace.

This is a sorry excuse, for the price. The "Shatterproof" canister is PLASTIC!!! Can't get it clean and it makes the coffee taste terrible. I replaced it with my old glass canister!!!

Do not buy this product.
One person found this helpful
on March 9, 2017
Love it! Bodum is the best at French press equipment, and this one is no different. Cleans well; makes perfect coffee; highest quality materials. One thing to note: the filter part is made of plastic, unlike the stainless steel filters used on other/earlier models. No difference at all in the quality or taste of coffee, but some may be surprised to see the plastic. Will see how it holds up.
One person found this helpful
on December 13, 2016
I originally had the glass carafe, but it shattered when I bumped it in the sink. So I bought this "shatterproof" and "dishwasher safe" version made of polycarbonate plastic. Guess what? Polycarbonate expands and cracks when heated . Like when hot water is poured into it. Or when washed in a dishwasher. Every time I pour hot water in it, I hear the creaking and cracking. After a few weeks the cracks grow deep enough that coffee leaks out of the carafe. Whose bright idea was it to choose this material for a hot coffee carafe?
on March 6, 2015
I like Bodum french presses - I have 2 larger ones. I went to get this 3 cup one for a single morning cup of coffee. I didn't read the description carefully since I'm familiar with the brand, nor did I save the packaging. Then, I was shocked to see the beaker was plastic - not glass. Non BPA plastic, but still plastic - BPA is not the only issue as far as I'm concerned. Another $15 for a glass beaker. Worse news is that the one with the glass beaker was $10 cheaper than this one.
on December 2, 2012
Let me first say that I don't typically write reviews for products. Most products I purchase work as advertised and I never feel compelled. This french-press, however, does warrant an exception. While it IS advertised as shatterproof, that would be correct if you dropped it, slammed it, or otherwise tried to break it intentionally. It is not made of glass, it is made of plastic, so shatterproof it IS. On the other hand, if you do what you're supposed to do with this shatterproof material, which would be to add coffee grounds and hot water to it, the container will crack and leak due to the temperature differential between room temperature and the hot water. This is junk and I will be contacting Bodum for a replacement carafe, hopefully made of GLASS. I would gladly sacrifice break-ability for something that held up to hot water being poured into it. 2 stars only because it's worked fine for the last 6 months since I purchased it. It's become cooler out due to the weather changing and it seems this plastic composite just can't hold up.
7 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2016
This is a plastic carafe we are talking about here. Hoped this would reduce worry of shattering. Plastic carafe started crazing almost immediately and now vertical cracks have progressed to the point where they fill with coffee liquid and I have totally lost confidence. I fear that my next press will explode the carafe. Bodum should stick to glass. While fragile, glass doesn't fail like this. Amazon seems to have stopped selling this model. Wonder why....