Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change
Price:$0.82+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 137 reviews
Written in 1970, it's a foundational book in the subject of body language. It's also a great case study on how to make a million dollars from an instructional book without having to do any research.

Fast has a pattern with every chapter. He starts with amusing anecdote, then quotes a book of research that someone else has done, and then dedicates that chapter to the book of research.

It answers questions like, "Why don't we talk to each other in elevators?" And many more.

One of the things I wanted to figure out by reading this book is if it was better than one of my favorite books, "Emotions Revealed" by Daniel Goleman, about facial movements being indicators of emotions. I was disappointed, kind of, that I couldn't answer this question, because one of the chapters is based on the early research of Golemen and how he had just started to test his theories with Australian aborigines.

I really liked chapter 9, the chapter on eye contact. I think everyone should at least read that chapter. Here's an excerpt:

"In the subway or bus where long rides in very close circumstances are a necessity, we may be hard put to find some way of not staring. We sneak glances, but look away before our eyes can lock. Or we look with an unfocused mouth, the body--for any place but the eyes is an acceptable looking spot for the unfocused glance."

"If our eyes do meet we can sometimes mitigate the message with a brief smile. The smile must not be too long or too obvious. It must say, "I am sorry we have looked, but we both know it was an accident."
Sandy and Clint have been the best of friends since their teens. They grew up in the same run down apartment complex and learned to depend on each other early on. Clint travels for his job, but stops in every now and then to spend a few days here and there with his pal. This time he's visiting with a purpose, it seems he finally has come to realize that he is in love with her, he wants to tell her. But when Clint shows up in the middle of the night his hopes for her returned affections are dashed when all she can talk about is a new man she is interested in.

This was a lighthearted and fun read. Up until about the midway point I was enjoying every minute of it as I happen to love stories about best friends coming together romantically. Clint decides to teach Sandy the art of seduction and body language to help her snare her love interest and also in the hopes that it will make Sandy look his way. It's a kooky idea, but it works for this book and it gave me a couple of chuckles here and there.

After about the midway point in this book I started to get a bit frustrated. For best friends these two lack some serious communication skills with one another. I couldn't help but want one of them to be honest with the other and face facts; it got silly after awhile watching the two of them pining for one another all the while thinking the other wanted nothing to do with a more intimate relationship.

Then for some reason at about the same midway point, Ms. Brockmann started peppering, excessively, Clint's dialogue and thoughts with "Lord, "Mercy," "Have Mercy" and any variation of the sort. It didn't fit his rugged and sexy motorcycle man character and it gave him this sort of hokey golly gee wiz vocabulary, a different feel from the beginning of the book.

Although this book was originally published in 1998, I am happy to say it didn't show its age at all. If you can get past my few nitpicks I think you will find a quick and enjoyable easy read, great for the up and coming beach weather!

Cherise Everhard, May 2008
1717 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2016
This is a very basic book and although it gives you some good info for basic body language, it's a bit difficult to read due to the dated language it uses to communicate making it a bit boring to read.
on November 10, 2013
Although dated, the knowledge purported by the author is sound and informative.
And, really... not much has really changed, in the past 40 years, when it comes to
human interaction, and, well... body language . This is among my top 10 favorite books.
It is very well written and thought out.

I give it five stars.
on February 9, 2006
I'll agree with most of the other reviewers and presume you are looking for a book that gives guidelines for reading meaning from movement and non-verbal cues. This book is more of a sociological study than that, and the insights it offers are the ones that have by now already worked their way into the culture. It's very honest and doesn't promise mind-reading affects based on the angle of a glance, and it is well written if dry. Still, this probably won't be that beneficial to the average person looking for information to sharpen their social skills.
on September 5, 2016
Good condition but had a musty smell so bad I had to discard it.
on February 27, 2014
I AM IN PROFESSIONAL SALES. AFTER READING THIS BOOK AND WATCHING HOW THE BODY LANGUAGE TALKS LOUDER THAN WORDS,,, I HAVE COME TO DEPEND ON CERTAIN BODY SIGNATURES TO CLOSE SALES AND CATCH MY GIRL FRIEND LYING WITHOUT GETTING INTO BIG ARGUMENTS :)
on November 16, 2012
Great examples on how to read peoples body language. For instance how do you eat dinner? do you eat one item at a time and then go to the next. Do you eat a little bit of everyting. Do you mix the food up? You can tell alot about some one on how they eat. That is why some executives take their clients out to eat.
on January 24, 2015
A book about friends who are already in love and just have to discover that they are loved in return. Unapologetically sentimental, this is just a "lovely" book.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2014
As all of Ms Brockmans books it was well crafted, great character development, the action scenes and knowledge of the Seal,
Ranger, etc teams nomenclature and activities. Admirable.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse