Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on September 19, 2010
My friend told me today that Robyn sounds like a current version of Cyndi Lauper....and it's kinda true. similar voice, and just so different than most singers out there! I love this album. She rocks it out, and I found myself drawn to the radio during certain beat sequences that intrigued me. I believe when our brains hear certain beats that they haven't heard before, it draws our attention. This is what happened to me listening to this album. Especially on "We Dance to the Beat" around 1:55.....she introduces a new kind of metallic repetitive sound that is just so damn brilliant! We Dance is my favorite song, followed by Include Me Out, Love Kills and Criminal Intent.

The first song In My Eyes is okay. a tad bit boring pop music, especially when she's singing to someone she calls "Little Star". ugh. hate that phrase ever since Madonna used it as a song title. I wanted to love the Snoop song too but I just couldn't go there. It was okay, and listenable. but nothing like Sexual Eruption duet she did with him prior. I also really wanted to love Indestructible, but I couldn't for some reason. Maybe because it was layered with strings? Maybe it'll grow on me.

In any case, please buy this album. This singer is amazing.
on October 1, 2010
Robin Miriam Carlsson (aka Robyn) is still dancing on her own. Yet, this time she's doing it in front of a packed U.S. audience at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, California.

In time with the beats of "Dancing on My Own" (the lead single from Body Talk Pt 1), her arms swing wildly outward, defying the constrictions of her seemingly tight outfit. Robyn looks pumped as she crouches and darts under a railing before reeling back while the synths from the DJ booth, manned by Canadian house producer deadmau5, power up.

35 seconds. This is how long Robyn's televised performance lasts before MTV cuts to a commercial.

Surprising? Hardly. Despite putting out some of the best pop music this year, Robyn is still something of curio in the United States outside of the many music blogs, newspapers, and magazines that lavish her with praise.

Personally, I don't think Robyn minds. She's energetic and determined, seemingly less concerned with popularity than she is with experimenting with current pop music mores.

Body Talk, Pt. 2 may be lacking in variation and experimentation than its predecessor, but with that comes a stronger adherence to consistency. Compared to Pt. 1, the songs on Pt. 2 are eclectic, louder, and rapturous.

On "Hang With Me," the first single from Pt. 2, Robyn sings about the gulf between friendship and love, advising her object of affection that they can confide in her, but not to fall "recklessly, headlessly in love with [her]." If "Dancing on My Own" was Robyn as the girl standing unnoticed in the shadows of the discotheque, then "Hang" is the singer confidently asserting herself next to an unknown suitor. As a power anthem, "Hang" has a gentle, hypnotic quality to it.

At its heart, Pt. 2 is a pep rally, a friendly pick-me-up next to the wavering and hesitant Robyn of Pt. 1. There's the motherly Robyn on "In My Eyes": "Hey, little star, don't be afraid / We all fall apart and make mistakes." There's the busty, brash Robyn on the Diplo-produced "Criminal Intent": "Somebody alert the authorities, I got criminal intent / Conspiracy to engage in lewd and indecent acts and events." It's confident and (dare I say it ohmygodTyraBanks) fierce pop, strung together by what the New Yorker's Sasha Frere-Jones calls a "casual kind of feminism."

As strong as "Hang With Me" and the above tracks are on Pt. 2, it's "U Should Know Better" that begs to be played over and over again in a crowded college dorm on a Friday night. Along with Snoop Dogg (whom the singer collaborated with on a remix of "Sensual Seduction"), Robyn zooms around the globe, taking names and not thinking twice: she dances with the devil, she tells the Romans that they need a black Pope and "she'd better be a woman," and she gives the record industry a middle finger.

Mainly, they should all know better than to [well, y'know...] with her. It's a bold statement, but from the mouth of Robyn, I have no trouble believing it.
on May 12, 2013
It's interesting that Robyn released the Body Talk project in three parts, because that makes it all the more difficult to talk about either of the three parts without comparing it to the other two. Not only that, these aren't definite albums, I feel like they are what Robyn described them to be, songs that are put out as they are ready. Part one was great, and I feel like although part two has a few moments that I could have done without, it's still so addictive as a whole that it can stand apart from parts one and three and still be the most dynamic of all.

The whole album is upbeat and Robyn has a repertoire of imaginative and solid lyrics that I don't think are unmatched, but that suit her so well, that if any other artist were to have come up with them I wouldn't have found them fit. Right off the top of my head I think that "We Dance To The Beat" and "Indestructible" are incredibly well written. I also think that they are two of the stand out tracks on the album. From beginning to end, there is a flow that keeps you up but changes it up enough that you're not listening to the same thing over and over.

Of course I think that the ballad version of "Hang With Me" in Body Talk Pt. 1 is superior to this one, but in this album it becomes a moment of nostalgic value. It becomes a feel-good song in part two. "Love Kills" follows it, and not only is it the longest track on the album and one that I think has the most club value, it's probably the slowest point in the album for me. I don't particularly enjoy "Love Kills," nor do I enjoy the fact that it was in the Body Talk album instead of "Criminal Intent," but hey, it changes things up. Everything in this album contributes to the flow, which I feel is Robyn's strongest suit. Girl knows how to keep a flow going like nobody else.
on April 28, 2014
Amazing music from a creative and talented musician. A must have if your a fan of Robyn's music!
I recommend you have both body talk 1&2. I am looking forward to the release of her mini album collaboration with Royksop.
I also advise you to watch her live if she tours in your city.
on July 11, 2011
On my review for part 1 i really just ranted about getting the EPs and not the album. I didn't talk about how awesome the EP was so i will be reviewing part 1 and part 2 here!

Part 1
in this EP you get 8 great sons including an acoustic version of 'Hang With Me' which is basically a preview of the studio version on part 2. and you also get a BEAUTIFUL traditional Sweedish folk song 'Jag Vet En Dejlig Rosa' this is such a beautiful song sung almost acapella with very little music behind it this song could be comared to 'Eclipse' on her self titled album.

Part 2
This is another Great EP Every song is filled with Robyn's Awesomness. 'U Should Know Better' is a duet with Snoop Dogg where every line says that someone 'knows better than to F*** with me' and snoop really is an asset that helps robyn's innocent voice sound more naughty. and you get anothe preview the acoustic version of 'Indestructible' which is on part 3.

both of these are are a must have for any music lover!
on October 16, 2012
This is a great album. I have Body Talk Pt 1 and now Pt 2. My favorite song is "Criminal Intent". Give it a try, listen to it a few times and (assuming you like this type of music) you will like it!
on November 29, 2010
Body Talk pt. 2 is even better than Pt.1, the beats are stronger and dancing is required while listening to it. Hang with me sounds amazing as a dance track, but the best ones are definitely Love Kills, Indestructible and U Should Know Better (Snoop!!!)
on January 10, 2014
Robyn is one of the most underrated pop act out there. The mixture of avant-guard stylings with likeable dance music makes for an interesting and fun CD.
on December 19, 2016
I love Robyn and this album is no exception.
on September 4, 2016