BodyWisdom Media: Tai Chi for Beginners
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
DVD HIGHLIGHTS: - 8 customized lessons to learn the Yang style Tai Chi 24 form
. - Easy to follow, step-by-step instructions.
- Exclusive Interview with the instructor.
- Modifications of poses for less-flexible people.
- Routines from 10 - 30 minutes
- Over 3.5 hours of instruction
Top Customer Reviews
- camera angles change throughout each lesson to clearly show important details from front, sides, and rear
- in each of the 8 lessons, 3 moves are taught slowly and repeatedly without rushing
- instructor points out minor but important details, and also the things that beginners often do wrong
- good video and sound quality - the instructor is easily heard over the soft music
- includes a separate warmup routine, and shows all 24 moves from beginning to end so you can do it with him after learning them all
- simple menu navigation
- optional subtitles
- like on any tai chi DVD, at times you will need to deal with the "mirror image problem", but the changing camera angles minimize this.
- some people will be frustrated by the slow-paced lessons, but this is necessary to learn the proper details of the moves
Mr. Pei does a very good job breaking down each pose slowly and methodically. There are 8 different sections, each one describing 1 or 2 poses, with the last session combining all of them into a singular routine.
Previously this year, I've completed a rotation of P90X: Tony Horton's 90-Day Extreme Home Fitness Workout DVD Program
I've been looking for something slightly less rigorous to work on- to focus more on balance, tensile strength and breathing. I was very surprised when my core and back were a little bit sore after day 2 of Tai Chi, so there is a very subtle workout, even for someone in decent shape used to strenuous workouts.
It's very enjoyable and relaxing, I highly recommend this.
As stated by other reviewers, other DVDs will often "cheat" by omitting parts of the form, starting slow but then speeding up, offering muddled instructions...very frustrating and futile.
This is the first DVD in which I feel as if I were participating in a class with a very patient, kind and generous instructor.
This DVD is for you if you are completely new to Taiji, if you took a class once but forgot the moves, if you have had physical difficulties because of surgeries or other types of traumatic experiences and, above all, if you need a gentle yet precise approach.
If you are very physically active, if you are confident with the basic form, or if you have access to regular classes, one of the videos by Jwing-Ming Yang may be better for you.
But as a first experience or a refresher, this DVD is as good as it gets. Highly, highly recommended. I am very grateful to Christopher Pei and to the makers of this DVD.
UPDATE: I eventually learned the short form from this DVD and I started practicing every day. It has made an immense difference in my well-being and my posture. If you persist with this one, you won't be disappointed!
The moves are broken down in manageable lessons in the amount that is being taught with each one. He breaks each move down, then progresses with very good tips and pointers to keep in mind then runs through the moves fully.
Clearly marked and easy to work with.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Only thing i wish is that he would have worn different colored shoes because i had a hard time seeing which foot he was moving otherwise is an excellent dvdPublished 7 days ago by vkf
I really enjoy this DVDs. You do these exercises and you think, "this isn't doing anything" and the next morning you have sore muscles! Read morePublished 12 days ago by Retired needs exercise
Wow! We love this video! Chris Pei is an excellent teacher plus he has that soothing and calm voice. Read morePublished 19 days ago by Nickie Cimaglia
I was able to complete the warm up exercises but unable to succeed with the actual Tai Chi positions because of my poor balance. Read morePublished 25 days ago by Kathy M.
Love that the instructor gives you guidance on common mistakes. You don't realize you're making the mistakes until he demonstrates so it helps you become more conscious of your... Read morePublished 25 days ago by Amazon Customer