Customer Reviews: BOESHIELD T-9® - VALUE PACK
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

Price:$33.99+ $8.99 shipping

on June 5, 2014
Update 2014-07-21: I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with the T-9. After less than 2 months, one of the cast iron wings on my brand new table saw started showing signs of surface rust--it looked like a big reddish stain covering about 1/4 of the surface. I stripped the wax and T-9 off with mineral spirits, and continued to scrub for a while with a rag but the rusty-looking stain wouldn't go away so I thought I'd try the Rust-Free. That was a mistake. Sure, it got rid of the rust, but it turned the formerly shiny, polished table saw wing into a blotchy gray mess. I'd recommend only using Rust-Free on heavily-rusted items, and lightly sanding other rust with steel wool or 2000 grit sandpaper.

I bought this value pack because it wasn't much more than just getting the T-9.

Boeshield T-9: Numerous people in online woodworking circles recommend Boeshield T-9 as an anti-rust coating for cast iron tools. You can either spray it on and wipe it off for a thin coat, or spray it on and leave it for a thick coat. After each coat, you have to let it dry overnight. The finish after curing is a bit tacky, so you need to apply a coat of non-silicone wax over the T-9. I ended up putting heavy coats on the sides of my table saw top and extension wings, and two thin coats over the top. After putting a coat of Renaissance Wax over the top surface of the table saw, the surface is nice and slick again.

Blade & Bit cleaner: I was using some of the milky white eco-friendly mineral spirits to clean the grease off various parts of my new table saw, including the saw blade. It worked ok, but on the saw blade it didn't do very well around the teeth. I did a second and third pass with the blade & bit cleaner, and the blade seemed a lot cleaner. I'll probably also try this out on my circular saw blades since they're pretty gummed up.

Rust Free: I do NOT recommend using this for light surface rust. If you apply Rust-Free to a nicely-polished cast iron table saw top, it will ruin the finish. You're probably better off with just a light sanding.
on November 1, 2015
I bought a very rusty Jet jointer off craigslist. Paid $125 for a jointer that was around $900 new. I tried to clean the rust with penetrant (the kind you use for stuck bolts on a car or something) and steel wool, and it didn't do a very good job.

This stuff worked great. The spray is an acid. It doesn't have strong fumes like the penetrant does, and cleans the rust off much, much better.

I used steel wool and a steel bristled brush to scour it. Basically spray it on, scour it, clean it off with a paper towel and repeat over and over until it is clean. It wasn't crazy quick, but it go the rust off.

Fair warning, it does sort of change the look of the metal, if that bothers you. Looks kind of discolored, not shiny like a new tool. I wouldn't expect something that had so much rust on it to look new of course, but I have the feeling if you used it for a small spot on an otherwise shiny new looking top, it would leave some discoloration on it. I've attached a picture of the jointer that used to be covered with rust. Wish I had took a before picture now.

The protectant works great too. I used it on the jointer and also on my table saw. You just spray it on, then wipe it a little to even it out and let it dry. It leaves a hard protective layer. I went over it with Johnson's paste wax as well, but that might be overkill.

As far as the cleaner, I haven't used it yet. I'm happy with the value just from the other 2 products, if the cleaner works well too than that's just icing on the cake.
review image
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2010
I bought the kit because of the Boeshield T9. Previous experience with this product showed me its value in the workshop keeping rust at bay from all the iron work surfaces, shaper, jointer and table saw tops. But I had my doubts about Rust Free, until last month. The state police returned a new shaper that had been stolen in July and left outside for 6 months. The top was covered with rust as was to be expected. After inspecting it I decided there was nothing to lose so I sprayed it with Rust Free. After a few minutes the rust turned black. When I wiped off the black material the surface looked as good as new. I highly recommend this product.
on June 23, 2016
The Rust Free bottle has a small crack in it, and some liquid leaks out fortunately it's at the top. But on the positive side it works pretty decent. Do not place the bottle on your equipment because any drips from the bottle will create marks or rings. Especially since mine has a small crack in it.
I've used the T-9 on my band saw and jointer, and have not exactly been happy with the surface being slippery. It's maybe more of a preventative measure for rust, but at the same time wood does not slide very well. Johnson's paste wax is the ultimate in getting your wood to slide across the equipment including on the rails of my table saw jigs.
I use the Blade&Bit on my band saw tires to remove the pitch. I bought this saw used and it needed some basic cleaning, but those tires were fairly gunked up. Wow, what a difference. I have not tried anything else, but one quick and simple application of this cleaned them up to almost new again.
So mostly happy with the performance. Would buy again minus the T-9. If I figure out something else with it, I will update my review.
on December 13, 2009
There are several rust prevention products available, and Boeshield has worked as advertised, but with limitations in areas with high humidity. In the shop, I've used "Boeshield T-9" on cast iron and unprotected steel tools. Saw tables, drill press tables, grinder tool rests, radial arm saw support tube, clamp screws and bars, squares and saw blades. The best results with Boeshield alone have been on the small tools, clamps, chisels and combination squares. The next best result was a drill press table, cleaned and wiped with Boeshield and then a coat of paste wax. I'm not convinced that it is any better -or - worse than J&J Paste Wax alone on larger flat surfaces like a saw blade or cast iron saw table. If you don't inspect or use your tools regularly, it may not be for you. Once Boeshield is applied and dry, it is tough to remove. If any rust has started, you'll have a mess cleaning it back down to bare metal again. If you're not sure whether this is the way to go, satisfy yourself with it on a small tool or saw blade first. Follow the instructions on "Rust Free" and "Blade & Bit Cleaner" to clean the surfaces you want to protect, then apply Boeshield. I cut the bottom 2" inches from a 5 gallon bucket to clean saw blades and small tools in.
on March 31, 2013
I can't say enough good things about this product. I live in Houston, land of 100+ degree summers with 100% humidity and it is always a fight to keep machine tables from rusting. I use the rust free, let it set overnight then spray on the T-9 buff it off with a sanding pad wiping the table off and spraying again then buffing again. I finish by rubbing a couple coats of paste wax on to the table rubbing the last coat off well. End result I have only had to repeat this procedure once every 4 months or so and never any rust. My tables continue to look brand new.
on May 10, 2015
Keeps the iron tables, ways, columns, and tooling on my woodworking and metalworking tools looking like new, even in the humid and salty air here along the gulf coast. Will preserve raw cast iron for months of inactivity without a single rust spot.
on June 7, 2014
Using on Powermatic cabinet saw. Do not spray the cleaner on your surface if you are scared of having your tools look like work has been completed on them. It makes no difference to me, whether it turns my saw a lighter or darker color. I would be happy with a rainbow across my saw if it was free from rust.
on December 28, 2013
Spray this on your blade/router bit and within seconds, pitch and gum wipe right off. Have tried other cleaners and had to scrub for hours to clean a blade. Using this product, it only took a few minutes to clean a blade like new.
on January 31, 2016
B9 worked as well as advertised
No surprises there. Great product great price
Order received quickly soon I'll need to order more. I haven't used much of the accompanying products, but I expect good things