Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 767 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 808 reviews
on September 5, 2016
I've watched Bonanza all my life, but I'm not quite old enough to have watched and remembered the episodes during their original run. I've never seen these episodes look so gorgeous and in full glorious restored color as they do on this set, and of course they're uncut and unedited. The syndication reruns on TV are of course edited and washed-out looking, and the cheap public domain collections of episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 are washed-out looking, and the original theme music replaced with some horrific generic crap. These official season sets, long as they took to arrive, remedy that. The set also comes with some nice behind the scenes production shots and such, original NBC Peacock logos and network bumpers, and a few vintage episode promos that haven't been restored like the episodes, but well worth seeing at least once for any Bonanza fan. One minor quibble I have, and it's minor, but I wish the original NBC Peacock logo and bumpers were put on every episode, but they're not. They're only on the first episode and a couple others in the set. All in all though, a beautiful set, and recommended to any serious Bonanza fan.
on August 9, 2016
I started watching this show because my husband recommended it. All of my favorite television shows are older and my absolute favorite is Little House on the Prairie. Knowing my television preferences, my hubby was shocked to find out I had never watched Bonanza before. We put on the first episode and it was okay. Not the greatest thing I ever watched, but I liked it enough to keep putting it on for him to watch it. It took about 6 episodes and I was hooked. Now I put it on just because I want to watch it.

I love that they intertwine historical events into the show and explain interesting things. I don't know if any of it is accurate at all, but it's still fun. I especially liked meeting Mark Twain.

The entire cast is great and I think it was one of the better made shows I have seen from this era. I wish I had found it a long time ago.

All opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own. I have shared my personal experience with this product and cannot guarantee that you will have the same experience with the product that I had, nor can I promise that we will share the same opinion of the product.
on August 30, 2016
This review is about the Amazon Video version that is free to prime members. The first season is excellent with the original music. The picture is crisp and clear and the color is brilliant. The second season is disappointing to say the lest. The music is bland and horrible, not the original at all. It is very annoying to have to listen to it as it is out of place just as the crappy music that was added to Nick Adam's The Rebel. There is no excuse for replacing the wonderful David Rose Theme song. While I rate the first season 5 star, I am taking two stars off due to the crappy, out of place music on the second season.
on September 18, 2009
To be completely honest, I already had the German DVDs of seasons 1-6, but I figure you just can't have too much Bonanza. I'm sorry it took so long but it's still worth the wait. The color is crystal, the picture gorgeous, the sound perfect, and the special features are terrific. I watched six episodes today and two yesterday and I bet I'll get another dozen knocked out before the weekend is over -- Bonanza never gets old. And having it on DVD with the original music, with special features, and in a format that means you don't have to plug up the region free player or watch some fuzzy public domain piece is just so special!

I grew up during Bonanza's first run -- we are the same age. I was born in July '59; the series debuted in September of that year. I still remember sitting on the floor of our little apartment in Chicago eagerly watching and learning my moral code from Bonanza and shows like it. There are worse ways to grow up. This was a great show and though I have watched it many times since, it's either been in syndication with chunks cut for more commercials, or on fuzzy public domain DVDs with hollow sound and weird music. When I bought the German DVDs, even then I found an occasional odd piece cut. And figuring out the German menus and bringing up the English soundtrack is something I could figure out, but it is wonderful not to have to! I'm loving this boxed set and eagerly awaiting season 2. Don't let it be too long, TPTB!!!
1414 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2017
Well done series. It has the "it" formula that goes beyond the taming of the west, probing the convictions we need to live by today and tomorrow in order to bless the world around us with a taste of goodness in his neighbor.
on January 18, 2017
I used to watch Bonanza when I was younger. I think I started because my grandmother liked it. As an adult, I'm surprised when I watch something that was my favorite and find that "what was I thinking!!!" and realize that the old show wasn't that great. Not so with this one. As I watch this season, I realize that there is some great stuff here. The personalities of the sons are so individual but very charming. Little Joe is such a loose cannon. I think of my son when I watch his carefree style. Hoss reminds me of my best friend's husband - so easy going and he keeps his cool. But once you push him too far, watch out! I like that they can show how human people are, and still stick to their standards. Basics that we should live by... don't steal, don't lie, don't take what isn't yours.
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2009
I have been waiting for this box set for ages! And it has finally arrived. I wasn't around when this show first aired. But I remember my first viewing of it sometime in the 90's (I know, really late to the party) and I fell in LOVE! Ugh, there was just something about it that made me obsessed with it. For some strange reason there is a sense of tranquility that I got from that one viewing that there just doesn't seem to be on TV anymore.

From that one viewing, I started watching it religiously, it came on as a two hour block. And I watched every flippin' two dang hours, every dang day of the week. And was happy to find out that they spazzed out with marathons of it on weekends! I was in Bonanza heaven! And then the networks took it from me! No more Little Joe, Hoss - Adam! I had some serious withdrawals. And I was not only shocked but a little bit upset to find out that this classic television show was not available on DVD!

But that has been fixed. The packaging is OK. Nothing to rave about. It doesn't even come in a box! You just get two dvd cases. Would it have killed Paramount to give us loyal viewers a customized box! You do get a summary of each episode and you do get the original theme song. Yes, I find that very important. On youtube, you get some bastardized version and when I want my Bonanza I want the original. The discs look great, a bump in quality than what they usually look like on television. The extras are not mind blowing, some of them consist of: alternate pilot ending, a tribute remembering Michael Landon/Dan Blocker etc.

I don't have to recommend the show to those who love it, but for those who don't, give it a chance.
44 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2017
I haven't watched any of the DVDs yet since I'm in the process of moving to a new house, but I'm quite sure based on previous reviews that these will be fine. I love the show, especially the first couple of seasons. now that I have this first season, I'm waiting to order the second one. don't know if i'll get all seasons, but will be nice to have the first couple anyway. for the price I'd highly recommend getting this complete first season because it shows how far ahead of its time the show was, especially for being a western. all the cast were superb and for its time, the color was superb and still holds up today very well.
on May 21, 2016