Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

on July 21, 2016
I love this cookbook! The author's love for French cooking is evident in each recipe or suggestion, but this is not the complicated, heavy sauce-laden food that most people associate with French food. I have probably made around 30 of the dishes since I purchased the book, many multiple times. Each and every one has been delicious. When I describe what I have made to friends, (after they are finished drooling and asking for the recipe) they don't think it sounds like a French dish at all. The recipes aren't complicated and most ingredients can be found at a regular grocery store. If there is a special ingredient, she gives great substitute ideas. I would HIGHLY recommend this cookbook many times over. The five stars are well deserved!
on May 18, 2016
So far I've made at least 15 of the recipes and enjoyed them all. I have to say, these are not the quick to put together meals I was expecting from the description. They aren't difficult, just takes some time, more than most people I know want to do when they get home from work. That said, I really like the book, it's almost a go-to book for me. Most people think of French food and immediately think lots of heavy cream. But that's not the case here. I also love the use of all the fresh herbs. It inspired me to start my own herb garden on the patio, and I had to order chervil seeds from Amazon since I couldn't find the plants locally! I enjoy having them all available right outside my door now. And now that I've stocked up on everything, when I'm at a loss for what to cook, I can always find a meal in this book that I have everything I need to make it. I always make extra sauce though. The recipes are a little short on that most of the time.
on July 27, 2015
After cooking many of the recipes from this cookbook I can't recommend it enough. It is, perhaps, one of the best cookbooks I have ever purchased. The recipes are practical for everyday home cooking for people with average to above-average home cooking skills. It uses simple, easy-to-find and mostly cheap ingredients. The flavors did exactly what I wanted-they took me back to my time in France and the home cooking I experienced there without fussy restaurant techniques and unusual ingredients. How practical are the flavors and recipes? I am the home cook for my family which includes an 8- and 6-year old. I seamlessly made 3 different 3-course meals using only recipes from the book each time (and cooking them for the first time too) in less than 1 1/2 hours. When I cooked some of the dishes a second time, I was able to cut that time down further. My children and husband LOVED the food. My parents came to dinner, they LOVED the food. I enjoyed cooking it.

With this cookbook my family and I have rediscovered the "joie de vivre" of French eating: lingering at a table, conversation over excellent food, slowing down, smaller portions but more courses, children enjoying real food.
on February 10, 2016
This is probably the best cookbook I have ever had. The recipes are easy to make, using ingredients you can actually find in a grocery store, and the result is simply fantastic. The food is delicious. My new weeknight go to recipes come from the sauté deglaze and serve section. The recipes are simple, quick, and stunningly good. For the weekends, there are plenty of options as well in the roasting section and other Sections as well. Regardless of what you choose, it will be tasty.

There are no pictures, but I haven't found that to be an issue. Go by ingredient and what looks good to you and enjoy!!! There are A LOT of recipes in this book. You are bound to find a few things you like. I have found a bunch!
on June 4, 2014
When my husband, who is French, saw the title of this book he exclaimed, "What a horrible title! In France it's an insult to call a woman a 'bonne femme,' like a housewife who can't do anything else." (My husband is, adorably, a French feminist. :)

Well, it turns out THIS housewife can cook! All the recipes we have tried are easy to make, delicious, and so authentic they even impress the finicky French eater in my home. I also appreciate the little anecdotes describing each recipe, and personal stories from the author. Knowing the history of food makes it taste even better, in my opinion.

Anyone in search of a great French cookbook should look no further! Highly recommended.
on December 27, 2016
Bought this for a daughter who loves to cook ... and her mother now wants her own copy after reading just part of the book. The author is highly credible, having lived and vacationed in different regions of France, worked for the publisher of Better Homes and Gardens, and been a restaurant reviewer. As a non-chef myself, one thing I appreciated in reading a few pages of this book is that that the author says she chose to simplify recipes and suggest alternative ingredients so you don't have to shop forever to find hard-to-get items, two things that help reduce prep time without sacrificing the quality and spirit of simple, splendid food.
on January 27, 2014
I consider a cookbook a success if it has a handful of recipes that I return to now and then. The Bonne Femme Cookbook has dozens of recipes I return to again and again. More importantly, some cooking techniques were formerly a mystery to me. When I got the book and saw it had a deglazing chapter, I immediately started working my way through it. Not only did I come to understand deglazing, but I had some great sauces for my dishes. Tonight I was just following a simple recipe and suddenly realized I'd just made a roux (quite successfully I might add). Had I encountered the instruction to make a roux, I would have panicked. If you've mastered Julie's Mastering the art of French Cooking then perhaps this book is beneath you, but for the rest of us aspiring to put some delicious, delectable food on the table without spending all day in the kitchen, Wini's recipes are just what we need. By the way, I confirmed with the author that it is ok for a "bourgeois gentilhomme" like me to cook from the bonne femme cookbook.
on February 25, 2014
My sister gave me this book, and I have also bought multiple copies for gifts...it is universally loved! Practical, intuitive recipes, explained in a warm and inviting way, with sidebars that offer insights into real French kitchens. I have prepared meals using Bonne Femme recipes for every course, to rave reviews from my guests. Even something as simple as the "all green" salad gets an enthusiastic response for the clever blending of flavors. One of my favorites is the Mushroom Fricassee side, which had people arguing over who would get the leftover portion. One of my "giftees" texts YUM every time she prepares the rice creameux for her family. A must for anyone who enjoys great food, simple preparation and huge impact.
on July 14, 2016
This is a great cookbook! Easy accessible, no ingredients I can't find at Publix (except the fine herbs - order them, you'll need them & you'll like it!), and just great, great food. I've probably made the Bonne salad 20 times already.
on July 17, 2012
Finally a book that's easy, fast and yummy! All the ingredients are available at my local supermarket + Trader Joe's, so no detours to delicatessen/specialty stores needed. I first found this book at the town library, but after 5 successful dinners desided to get my own copy.
To those of you who complain about "time consuming recipes" - everything is relative. I have a french cooking book from 70s and most recepes take at least twice as long plus have twice as many calories. Sure some dishes are not meant to be cooked after looooong day at work, but there are plenty of simple and fast dishes for mid-week; save the stews and more elaborate recipes for weekends.
I like that the author describes the cuts or gives American alternative names - it does simplify communication with your butcher!