- Paperback: 156 pages
- Publisher: Book Architecture; 1st edition (May 5, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0986420409
- ISBN-13: 978-0986420405
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.4 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 10.4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 42 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #191,491 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Book Architecture: How to Plot and Outline Without Using a Formula 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Author
As writers, we want to create something original, so we need to "pants" first (write by the seat of our pants) and then find some tools - such as the three tools of Book Architecture - that can help us to assess what we've done. These tools: the grid, the arc, and the target, help us evolve our thinking over the next horizon better than using a formula or a beat sheet ever could. By using a method instead of a formula we find ourselves in a constant dance with our own unfolding imaginations. And that's the best thing about writing that there is.
From the Inside Flap
How Is Book Architecture Different than Blueprint Your Bestseller?
- You can use the information before you begin writing or after you have written a whole draft.
- It introduces three tools: the arc, the grid, and the target that can be applied to fiction, film and TV, or creative nonfiction.
- It has a lot more pretty pictures!
- It offers detailed, concrete examples that reveal how the Book Architecture Method works with everything from literary classics to blockbuster films, including The Social Network, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Corduroy, and Catch-22.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 66%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I downloaded the Kindle version of this book (because I'm a bit cheap!) and read it through once without truly understanding it. Then I went through it again and started to 'get it'. The problem is the author's use of the term 'series' to mean theme. If you can get past that, you can get it too!
I love analyzing books to see how they were written and why it is that they work so well. This book helps you understand other people's books and then go on to improve your own and/or write better books.
Both books demonstrate techniques for physically taking apart your story and laying it out to see what goes where and what goes...away. I modified the key points and created a digital version of the series grid. So far I really like it.
Book Architecture is one of those books that I believe will improve my writing now, but will also continue to improve it in the future. I feel that each story I apply the Book Architecture method to will be stronger and cleaner in the end. This is not a formula. It takes work.
I received an advanced reading copy, but halfway through the book, I just bought my own because the actual Kindle version is easier to navigate than the PDF and I really liked the method. Then I pulled Blueprint Your Bestseller to the front of my Kindle carousel for easier access as well.