Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Book Love: Help Your Child Grow from Reluctant to Enthusiastic Reader
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on December 16, 2012
I love this book - I got the kindle version and plan to buy the paperback. I really liked the ideas for a "too sitty" child - especially the "sounds hopscotch" (my daughter is very active so I can't wait to try this with her). I have been brainstorming other chalk games that also could incorporate sounds and sight words - that tip alone was worth getting the book (I never thought of doing that!).

I also love the short bullet-point format and the colorful, pleasing layout - perfect for my busy life and short attention span - and easy to find just what I'm looking for without reading a lot of text. Buy this book if you want to help your child learn to love books - even if you don't think they're "reluctant".
on November 21, 2012
As a former Kindergarten and Special Education teacher, I highly recommend this book to parents and teachers. I have been a fan of Imagination Soup, Melissa Taylor's blog, for a long time. Now I am a fan of her book. It is written by a mom with impressive credentials who has tried everything imaginable to help her children develop a love of reading - and it worked. This book is not just to help with reluctant readers - but gives advice on how to discover and pinpoint problem areas or even if there may be learning disabilities. She has extensive lists of books and resources to help motivate, inspire and teach reading. It is an enjoyable read because of great visual appeal with pictures, colors and fonts. I can see how it would help parents and teachers of special education students as well as beginning readers or reluctant readers.
on December 30, 2012
I homeschool so I'm always looking for ways to make our day more productive and enjoyable. My first grader is an excellent reader but also a reluctant one. My 5 year old likes to read but has a harder time with it. This book gave me some good ideas for both of them. It's a short book so you can read it quickly. The ideas are simple and don't require much effort to put into practice. I am also planning on keeping these strategies in mind for my 2.5 year old who is learning his letters.
on December 25, 2012
This book not only provides ideas for helping your child learn to enjoy reading. It also includes incredible resources for additional help. It is obvious that Melissa has used these techniques, and she provides suggestions for many different types of learners. I highly recommend this book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 14, 2012
I was truly amazed by this beautiful book. Not only is this author insightful, but it is obvious she feels passionate about this subject. I could not agree more with her that instilling a love of reading in our children is important. What also impressed me with this book was the way it is organized and formatted. The text looks rich and beautiful and the pictures are perfectly matched to the subject matter. If you are looking for a book about building a love of reading, this is the best one I have seen yet. I like the easy approach this author uses toward reaching the parent and teaching them the steps through patience and understanding of their child rather than giving this a textbook kind of feel. I was so impressed by this book that I think schools should all get a copy of this book and learn to teach their students at the child's pace. What an awesome book from a great author. Will recommend this one for anyone who has a young child or first stage reader. Excellent!
on December 30, 2012
I like this book as a resource. Unfortunately, I have a 2nd generation Kindle, so the links do not work as efficiently as I'm sure they do on Kindle Fire or even when reading the book through a Kindle app or on a computer.

I am a speech-language pathologist and from what I read of the book (again, without actually following the links) this looks like an excellent resource to give to parents to encourage their children to read. It goes through alphabet books as well as phonological awareness parts (such as rhyming) which are all precursors to reading. I really enjoyed the lists that she had toward the end that were listed by genre. I wish they could have been categorized a bit more by age range within the genres, but I'm sure a quick Amazon search (or simply following the link to the book) would let someone know if it was appropriate for their child or not.

I actually thought this book would be a bit more informational reading, but it is mostly links to resources. Well organized and put together. I'd be interested to see how her paperback book looks since this one had so many links to outside sources.
on January 19, 2013
This is a wonderful book that not only delivers enthusiastically on the promise of its title, but it is just plain fun to read. It has the coolest formatting I've ever seen in a Kindle eBook. The pages jump right out at you, lots of photos and text boxes. I found myself laughing out loud by page three.

Note: If you buy this through your Kindle, note that there are two editions of the book, one formatted for older Kindles, the other for new models like the Kindle Fire. If you go to the product page and find a message that says "this title is not available for you device," go back up to the book cover picture. Underneath is a link that says there are two editions. Click it, and you'll see both versions listed. Select the one that says "Published by Imagination Soup LLC." That one will work on your Kindle, and will have a "buy" button where the error message was before.
on November 11, 2012
Book Love is a wonderful helper to assist any parent in guiding their kids to becoming a stronger reader. Filled with several ideas, activities and games-it empowers you to recognize why kids may be reluctant to read. As a mom of two young boys, I appreciated the variety of solutions. I can't wait to put them to use, and allow my kids to enjoy books to the fullest.
on December 31, 2012
Most adults don't read enough. Here's a book that hopes to change that for the next generation by turning kids into book lovers.
Here's a philosophy that's potent, and the first step is almost intuitive: turn off the TV.
Don't tell your kids what to read...let them become inspired, and then help them make time for reading.
Melissa's magic can work for you, and she has a growing community at Imagination Soup, so look her up!
on December 4, 2012
How does an A.D.D mom help her kid learn how to read? Read this book. It is so easy to access exactly what you need, and the advice is perfect. A lot of what is here I had to learn on my own volunteering in my child's classroom. This book has all those tidbits and more. It is a must buy!