Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc  Trolls Starting at $39.99 Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition ErrollGarner Shop Now STEM

Book description is a bit strange....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2012 9:36:17 PM PDT
Oishya says:
The book description reads " Following in the footsteps of Christopher Hitchens, Roger Penrose, and even Stephen Hawking, Jim Holt emerges with an engrossing narrative that traces our latest efforts to grasp the origins of the universe." Now, please don't take this the wrong way, but why is Christopher Hitchens mentioned? I am a fan of Mr. Hitchens' work but unless we count 'god IS NOT GREAT' as a read in metaphysics it seems to me he has not contributed much to our understand of cosmology....Again, I am not trying to make an attack against Hitchens, i simply feel that he is not a cosmologist, physicist, or any sort of scientist and probably should not be counted as such.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 9:53:44 AM PDT
Kurt says:
Checking "Look Inside the Book," I see Hitchens is mentioned a couple of times. I strongly suspect that his rather prominent position in the book description copy (written by the publisher or Amazon) is primarily to capture the interest of more readers by associating the book with a popular and bestselling author, and thus potentially generate more sales.

Contariwise, if the book description read, "Following in the footsteps of Jean-Paul Sartre, Derek Parfit, and even Adolf Grünbaum," the vast majority of potential buyers would probably look elsewhere.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jul 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about