Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on June 17, 2017
Historically speaking, this two volume set fares well. Unfortunately, the techniques that are discussed suffer from both time and a lack of clear diagrams. In some instances, I had to look up some of the terms being used as they are no longer referred to as they're used in this book - "tins" and "zincs" for instance were used as cutting surfaces, but modern cutting surfaces are not referred to as these metal surfaces are. Another issue I had was with the editorial comments throughout this book. Claiming that a binding is of an elegant design while another is gaudy without having pictures of them had me confused on more than one occasion. Once past the dated dialogue, I was able to get quite a bit of valuable research and helpful hints that will make my own bindings better.
on June 22, 2012
I'm the author of the YA series, "The Library of Illumination" about an ancient Library that is home to all literature. One of the duties of the young curator and her apprentice are to repair some of the wonderful old books that have been neglected, abused, or ravaged by time. Edith Diehl's "Bookbinding: Its Background and Technique" was highly recommended as a reliable source of information. I use it as a reference, and I have not been disappointed.
on October 20, 2009
I got this book hoping it will give me some simple, yet thorough advice or guidance to book binding, as I'm into handmade paper making and would like to create different sorts of journals, notebooks, book covers, etc.

The book has amazing historical information and detailed explanation on various techniques, but my level is too low and I don't understand much of the technicalities. Also, the illustrations are scarce and that's not a good thing for a beginner.

Will look for another book on the subject.
on July 20, 2012
The book is a good introductin to the world of bookbinding, in particualr the part on the history of this craft/art. The practical part, being very well explained, lacks explicit illustrations. After all, as the authro says, one cannot learn a craft from books.
on December 21, 2015
super good book for bookbinders!
on February 21, 2010
I bought this among others for my daughter. She decided that she wanted to get into bookbinding. During the summer, she worked at one of the big libraries in Philadelphis, PA doing for some hands-on learning. Now she is at the MIT library in Cambridge, MA doing the same thing. Nothing like the good old books.
on May 5, 2016
Too much blah, blah, but can not find anything worth illustrative to see inside.