Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 24, 2013
It's unprecedented to have this many typos in an accounting/number related educational book. The irony! It was pointed out in another review (which I wished I had read prior to buying) that the book was published with numbers where symbols should be, defeating the entire purpose of clear explanations. Unbelievable. Is the publisher even aware? The poor people that get this book and are trying to understand something as DRY as bookkeeping and might believe for a minute (or more) that "A 5 E" vs Assets = Equities.
on July 16, 2010
I am training a young lady who works in my office on the basics of the General Ledger. She is currently handling accounts receivable/payable successfully, but having trouble grasping the concept of debits and credits in the general ledger. I purchased this book and set up a self-study program for her. It covers all of the basics of double-entry bookkeeping in a workbook format.

There are a couple of things I don't like about the book, mainly the layout of problems and answers. In some instances the worksheet and questions are on the left page and the answers on the right page, side by side. This arrangement makes it too easy to look at the answer page without having to concentrate on working the problem. Also, the worksheet ledger pages are simply copies of an actual ledger page on which the problems and answers have been written. The pages have been copied on a dark setting so all of the horizontal and vertical lines and the writing on the page are the same dark black color with everything blending together, making it hard to read.

Around page 30 the book explains very carefully that assets and liabilities must be equal on a balance sheet. The problem that follows give you a set of numbers to fill in that end up with the balance sheet out of balance.

The author had the right idea and there is a lot of good information in the book, but it is not very well put together.
on October 29, 2009
As a new business owner, I recently determined that in order to have an intelligent conversation with my account, I must learn basic accounting terminology and how the accounting cycle operates. I showed this book to my accountant to get his opinion. He said, "I wish more of my clients read this book."

In a simple manner, "Bookkeeping Made Simple" enlightened me on the subject of bookkeeping. I do not want to become an accountant or full-time bookkeeper. I just want a broad understanding of how it all works so I can confidently enter transactions in QuickBooks and keep my books organized for my accountant at the end of the year. I feel this book helped me achieve my goals.

If you have questions, such as, what are drawing accounts, ledgers, and journals? Or, how do I read a balance sheet and an income statement to determine the financial health of a company? Then this book is for you!

I'd also like to note that this title does not discuss accounting or bookkeeping software. It is purely old-fashioned manual bookkeeping. I believe learning the manual method will give you a greater understanding of your accounting software. It's kind of like learning arithmetic by hand before moving to the calculator.

There are technical errors in some of the exercises. For example, a few of the balance sheets don't balance. Also, there are many transcription errors where numbers from the exercise are not correctly reflected in the answer. The author does emphasize accuracy throughout the book and states, "perfect practice makes perfect." Because he did not follow his own advice, he gets docked one star.

Overall, I feel "Bookkeeping Made Simple" presents a great intro to bookkeeping, which every entrepreneur must comprehend in order to fully understand his own business.
on May 9, 2013
The text of this book is helpful and straightforward but.... In Chapter 2, on "The Bookkeeping Equations" the symbols "=" "+" and "-" are not used. In their place is "5" for "=", "1" for "+" and "2" for "-". So instead of getting "(Assets) = (Liability) + (Equity)" you get "(Assets) 5 "Liability) 1 (Equity). Or even worse, $25,000 5 $20,000 1 $5000. If you can figure that out it's because you already understand bookkeeping and don't need this book.
on July 28, 2015
There are so many errors in this book that one feels like a genius for spotting them. But if you have never studied accounting you will be thoroughly confused. this book deserves to be out of print
on December 19, 2013
It is the book that I was looking for bec I needed it for a class that I am taking. When I received it, I was surprised by how much highlighting was in the book but for the price, it was ok. Overall, I am happy about my purchase and with the efficieny of the seller.
on June 26, 2006
This book was puchased to teach a teenager the basic principles of bookkeeping prior to learning a computerized bookkeeping system. I have been "keeping the books" for businesses for 30+ years and feel it is important to know what the computer is doing behind the scenes. This book will help you to understand that. Both the teenager and I are very pleased with the logical and simple to understand explanations of bookkeeping. We especially like the worksheets which accompany the lessons. These give the student a feeling of accomplishment and help to reinforce the lessons.
on October 30, 2013
The book is full of errors- it is extremely difficult to learn new subject material when the book is incorrect in many many locations. I returned the books Amazon sent new ones which had the same errors in those. Bookkeeping was not Made Simple.
on April 4, 2014
Didn't really prepare me for a bookkeeping job. Lacks the "digital experience" and uses outdated terms that are not really relevant to the workplace.
on July 25, 2010
It is written very simple so everyone can understand it.
Gives you all the basics.
Has many excercise and answers so you can practise.
If you have a small business and want to know the basics you will like this book.