Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on May 7, 2015
Marvelous, marvelous book! With deft prose and well-chosen pictures, Lyons goes through the history of the printed word. Starting with wedge marks on clay and going up to the digital Kindle, he sweeps the reader through the torrid history of books and reading. Divided into 5 sections, with smaller subheadings, this is a easy, fast, interesting read. It's on overview, not a comprehensive work, so it will leave you with the urge to go find out more about lots of people, places, event and ideas. Just my sort of book. Anyone who is a bibliophile will enjoy this wonderful volume.
on September 28, 2016
I don't know why but I'm having a hard time getting through this book. I think it's beautifully done but it seems more academic than I thought. The author did a great job with the book, no doubt and it's beautifully layed out but for me, it's a slow read. I think I was looking more for a quicker read and it's probably more of a reference book. I'm glad I bought it though, it will be something I will use many times over the years.
on January 15, 2016
Interesting look at books from the beginning to now-ish. Early entries discuss codex form and parchment as well as reading culture and literacy. This moves all the way to digital revolution circa 2010. In between there is a sampling of book types and authors that encompasses the world not just Western culture. Really interesting.
on May 4, 2017
Unique view of the world of books.
on December 7, 2016
Fascinating text!
on February 6, 2013
So I'm using this book for an online class and I must say that I absolutely love it! I've always had a passion for books and this class has helped me to understand how the books that I love today came to be!
on April 30, 2013
A perfect book for booklovers. It tells the history of the book up to our days in an elegant and simple style and is richly illustrated. A treat for the mind and for the eyes.