YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 3,113 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on March 24, 2011
I stumbled across this page and saw a handful of 1-star reviews that left me puzzled. Then I realized that all of them were regarding the supposedly-poor quality of the Kindle version. Well, I can't tell you anything about the Kindle version. I'm one of those old-school guys, so I bought the paperback set, and it's undoubtedly worth the money. Obviously, the content is 5-star worthy (see the reviews for each individual book), so I'm going to limit my review to the box set itself. This set contains each of the first four books in the Song of Ice and Fire Series (that's A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows), with all-new cover artwork. Out of all the versions released, this is the most visually enrapturing artwork yet. The novels are brightly colored and contain designs that are brilliant in their simplicity. The outer box contains some high-quality shots from the upcoming HBO series.

Highly recommended for:
-Someone who's never read A Song of Ice and Fire. This is the place to start, and a great value too (4 loooong books for $23).
-Longtime fans whose old paperback copies are worn from reading and re-reading in anticipation of A Dance With Dragons.
-Hardcore series collectors who want to own the best versions.

I lent my older copies of this series to my ex-girlfriend, and since I never got them back, I decided that this box set was a worthy purchase. I'm so satisfied with it, I can honestly say that I don't miss the books I lost, not even one bit. I've posted some pictures of the box set so you can decide for yourself if you like its look enough to drop the money.
4444 comments| 1,467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2011
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the formatting of this bundle -- my copy has a TOC at the front with links to each book and has a separate TOC for the chapters of each book -- so it seems like everyone else's probably has this too. When you open the bundle for the first time on your Kindle, it doesn't take you to the actual beginning of the book (I've found this to be true of basically all Kindle books -- what it considers "the beginning" skips the cover, table of contents, forwards, etc.). If you use "Go to" on the menu and then choose "Cover" (again, something I do at the start of every Kindle book), you will be brought to a picture of the box set. Three page turns brings you to the Contents page, which has links to the cover pages of all 4 books, as well as the bundle cover, title page, and the bonus material at the end (including the excerpt from A Dance with Dragons). If you don't choose a link from this page and instead turn 4 or 5 more pages or so (through the title and copyright pages), you'll come to the TOC for the first book. I would think that it probably doesn't give TOC as a choice on the Go To menu because there is more than one table of contents to choose from!

In addition, as you can see on the bottom progress bar, the start of each book is marked with a dot on the bar. So you can judge your progress through a particular book by seeing how far away you are from the next dot. Also, from the cover pages in the beginning, if you hit the right arrow on the directional pad, you will be taken right to the cover page of the next book. Hitting the left arrow takes you back to the start of the previous book. This will work from any cover page. If you are in the text of the book itself, hitting the left or right arrow takes you to the start of the next or previous chapter. If you have a Kindle 2, you would push the 5-way controller left or right.

I haven't begun reading this bundle yet (though I have read all the books previously -- twice), so I can't comment on the text of the actual bundle -- though of course the books themselves are fantastic! I have browsed through it, though, so I can tell you that the maps are all there as well as picture covers for each book as well as a picture of the box set. The beginning pages of each chapter all have an illustrated border at the top, and the text itself looks great (no problems with text formatting that I can tell).

I also can't complain about the price, since I preordered this for $17.99, which was a great deal for all 4 books. I would agree that the price is kind of high now, but it's really pretty much the same as the 4 books separately in Kindle editions. As it says at the top of the product page, the price was set by the publisher -- not Amazon.

So, in summary, I really don't see the problems that the other reviewers are pointing out. If you are wanting all 4 books for your Kindle, either because you haven't read them before or because you want your next re-read to be in Kindle format, this is a great way to get them!

Edit 3/31/11:
Amazon has updated this book set, and there is now a link in the Go To menu for table of contents, which brings you to the page at the front with clickable links to each book. This page was already there, but now you can get to it from the Go To menu instead of having to go to Cover and page forward.
1818 comments| 732 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
I received this book set the day it came out. Love this series! I would recommend looking at book #3 "A Storm of Swords" because I am having to replace mine as a result of publisher error. It is missing pages 561-592 and it has a double inclusion of pages 593-624. Make sure that your book set doesn't have the same publisher error! Otherwise, I am very happy with this purchase.
1818 comments| 356 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2011
I will write this review in two parts, because there are two important aspects to this particular edition of this series:

1. The Series, Itself - FANTASTIC
Martin writes a gritty fantasy epic, that truly IS epic. Raw, dark, honest, but full of liars, this series will shatter any notion you have that fantasy is for kids, or that adults cannot have their pleasures. Martin does not shy away from butchering his characters, yes even the main ones, and this lends a sense of urgency and real alarm to the series. Find yourself liking one of his characters? Watch it, that character could be next. Meanwhile, the dishonorable and "evil" in the series really seem to get away with their acts. While the series is not without the comeuppance of evil, get used to darkness thriving, as Martin does not pull his punches. There's a reason HBO has been successful, and a large portion of that reason is the source material.

2. The Kindle Edition - JUST FINE!
I've seen complaints about the Kindle edition being horrible, from the formatting to the fact that it's 4 books squished into one. I have seen nothing that convinces me that the Kindle edition is anything less than perfect. Yes, there are 4 books. On the Android versions of the Kindle app, there is nothing to distinguish the books on the progress meter. I am 31% of the way through the series, and I don't know when this book ends and the next begins. On the Kindle, itself, however, there are marks where each book ends and the next begins, so you can more easily see where you are in the 4-book series. However, there is a total Table of Contents (ToC) just after the cover of the Kindle book, so you can quickly jump to the beginning of any of the books.

The formatting, also, receives no complaints from me. I don't see how there could really be a problem...there are words, which are strung together to form sentences, which are likewise strung together to make paragraphs....what's the problem? New chapters start on a new "page".

And with the kindle edition, you can bookmark and highlight the book to your heart's content. Honestly, it really is the best of all worlds.

That being said, the paperback series is currently being sold for less than the Kindle version of the same product. This is seriously annoying, as the Kindle edition does not have the overhead of paper, the printing process, etc...This is more a complaint about the pricing of kindle books by publishers than a complaint about this particular book, however.

Verdict: Awesome series, in an awesome format. I love not having to carry around multiple books when I'm getting close to finishing one. I also love being able to read on multiple devices, and having the latest page read sync to each device. All standard features of a Kindle book!
Fans of George R.R. Martin's smash hit Game of Thrones shouldn't hesitate in ordering these books, to accompany (but not replace) their viewing of the popular television series.

But please recognize this important point -- the box set on this page (either the hardcover or paperback versions) was put together before the fifth volume in the series was available in paperback, and so it does not represent the best value if you want the full collection of books.

That is available here --> George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set, which includes all five books A Game of Thrones,A Clash of Kings,A Storm of Swords,A Feast for Crows (the same four books included in the box set on this page), plus the most recently released fifth volume A Dance with Dragons.

That would probably be the best you can do for now. There is a sixth book planned for release in the near future, though, so be prepared to want that one as well, just as soon as it is available.

Do you need any more justification? How about this - the expense of this five book set can easily be rationalized by considering that it provides one of the best 'bangs for the buck' currently available on Amazon for popular fantasy literature.

Think of it this way:

- Game of Thrones 5-book box set (refer to the link above) -- 4272 pages of high adventure for only 1.2 cents per page!

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy -- 1350 pages of Russian historical fiction, slightly less expensive at 0.9 cents per page, but three thousand pages shorter and far less racy and titillating!

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon -- approximately 4000 pages of real Roman history, originally published beginning in 1776 and with the final volume published in 1789, comparable in length to Game of Thrones but, lets face it, nowhere near as interesting to read (sorry, Rome), and somewhat expensive at 2.2 cents per page (nice slip-cased hardcover books will look good on your bookshelves and impress your friends and neighbors, though)

World Book Encyclopedia -- over 14,000 pages and still being printed in actual paper volumes annually (!!) for those holdouts who stubbornly and inexplicably refuse to consider wikipedia to be the source of all information available to mankind. The 2014 edition does not seem to be available on Amazon at the present time, but can be purchased at the companies own website for a stratospheric 7 cents per page!

The battle lines have been drawn, and the choice is clear! Game of Thrones is the obvious winner (and again, don't forget to order the 5-volume set, not this outdated one here).

(NOTE: cost/page calculations are based upon current Amazon pricing for the particular editions I've linked to above)
on January 13, 2017
I love this series, and this is a great collection of the books. More books are out now, so you are probably better off buying the 5 volume set. I just wish George R. R. Martin would hurry up and finish The Winds of Winter. If you are a fan of the Game of Thrones TV show, you should definitely check the books out. The characters are a lot more developed and seeing inside of their heads gives you much more appreciation for certain characters that the show kind of glosses over.
on May 16, 2011
If you like this genre as I do, you will thoroughly enjoy it. G.R.R. Martin wrote each character, scene, place, setting with great detail and displayed his mastery with the language of that time. The story is full of intrigue and conflict. The heros fight against evil from several fronts, against evil doers in the south and north, then also there is the great terrible winter. The tale moves fast and is easy to read. And as far as its worthiness to read with the HBO series under way, I think it's better in the sense of how a book is nearly always better than the movie, which is saying a lot, since the HBO production is so well done. To those who find it hard to keep up with all the charactors names and roles, as well as the many different places they travel throughout the book, I will recomend the HBO Game of Thrones website that makes it easy to keep it all together in your mind.
on July 17, 2012
I originally got into this series after seeing the first season on HBO. It is fantastic. A real page turner. I've heard it described as "Lord of the Rings" meets "The Sopranos", and that is about as accurate a description as I could think off. The only caveat is that the 4th book is not nearly as good as the first 3. There are several reasons for this, but the main one is that the best characters with the most interesting story lines don't appear in "A Feast for Crows". I burned through the first 3, whereas with the 4th one I almost just wanted to get through it. It was a chore. I've started the 5th book now, and I'm thankful that the series seems to be back on track. If you're looking for a great summer read, it's tough to beat this series.
on December 11, 2013
This is a great set. It's obsolete now that there's a set with the first five books, but I had bought this without knowing when that set would be released, and I later bought the fifth book by itself. But this is a great deal anyway, four very long stories for a little over $20.

As for the stories themselves, George R. R. Martin is a fantastic writer. You get involved with each character, even the ones you realize are evil, and you feel wrapped up in their lives. There's a sense of betrayal when something unfortunate happens to them, and it makes you realize how much you care about these characters. The world itself is also very fleshed out and detailed, so if you love it, there's so much to take in and learn. This is on par with any other fantasy world in popular fiction, and you will want to know every little crook and cranny the characters talk about.

I have not watched the show yet, but I'm looking forward to starting it, and although I already know there will be some missing details, it should serve as a visual companion to this fantastic story.

EDIT: don't watch the show. It's terribly written and it's all about sex and gore without any of the nuances that makes the books wonderful.
on April 22, 2014
Love the books, but I did end up getting them on my tablet. I find that I like reading on my tablet better these days or my cell phone. But I like keeping a "real" book on my shelf, so hence why I got these. Love this story and the show.