Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Books to help with Step 11

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2006, 9:34:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2006, 7:54:35 AM PDT
Anyone have suggestions for books which help with step 11: prayer and meditation for conscious contact with God?
I have one that has worked well for me, Meditation by Eknath Easwaran, but I'd like to know what other people in AA recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008, 12:54:51 AM PST
Nicholas try the writings of Emmet Fox. His works have helped me and I would suggest starting with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2008, 9:39:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2008, 7:47:29 AM PST
J. Michna says:
Aside from other books, we do certain readings out of the BB on Saturday mornings... sort of an "AA's greatest hits" thing, which includes the 3rd, 7th and 11th Step Prayers. You might find these readings help put you in the right Step 11 frame of mind:
- Page 86, paragraph 2, through end of page 88 (includes the 11th Step Prayer)
- Page 215, paragraph 5 "God, here I am, and here are all my troubles..."
- Page 62, paragraph 1 through page 63, paragraph 2 (includes 3rd Step Prayer)
- Page 68, paragraph 2 and 3
- Page 76, paragraph 2 (7th Step Prayer)
- Page 417, paragraph 1 (Acceptance)
- Page 420, paragraph 1 through end (Acceptance)
- Page 552, paragraph 1 (Resentments)
- Page 164, paragraph 2 through end
Page 30, paragraph 1 through paragraph 3 (We alcoholics)
Note: the page references (215, 417, 420 and 552) are for the 4th Edition of the Big Book. They are different in the 3rd Edition, for example page 417 (4th Ed) is page 449 (3rd Ed), and page 420 (4th Ed) is page 452 (3rd Ed).

I've also found that the "Joshua" series of books by Joseph F. Girzone to be a real eye-opener re prayer and my perception\understanding of God. The first book is entitled "Joshua: A Parable for Today"

One last thought, for me "prayer" is me "talking to" God while "meditation" is me "thinking about" God. I learned this while reading "Father Fred and the Twelve Steps: A Primer for Recovery" by Fr. Fred. Maybe this distinction might be of value to you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Alcoholics Anonymous: (Persian)
Alcoholics Anonymous: (Persian) (Paperback - Aug. 1991)