Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc  Every Time I Die Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > The Child Thief: A Novel forum

Books like the Child Thief?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2010 11:21:46 AM PDT
Zooropa94 says:
I just finished reading The Child Thief and I absolutely loved it. I plan on checking out Brom's other works, but does anyone have any recommendations for books that are similar to The Child Thief? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 5:39:05 PM PDT
Lostgirl says:
Check out Gregory McGuire's work for some dark fairy tale retellings for adults: Wicked (NOTHING like the musical of the same name), Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and Mirror, Mirror
Also Neil Gaiman's books. He writes for adults and children and even his children's books (Coraline, The Graveyard Book, etc) tend to be very frightening and dark

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 1:39:56 PM PDT
Allison says:
Robin McKinley has some great fairy tales retold, also:
Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast

Rose Daughter

Spindle's End

are a few.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 5:09:59 PM PST
Try the "Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly. It has the same dark twist on classic fairy tales, and deals particularly with the monsters in our minds. The plot is compelling, the characters captivating, and the message hits remarkly close to home. Read it. Love it. Preach it obnoxiously. I do.
The Book of Lost Things

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 8:21:17 PM PST
Zooropa94 says:
"Love it. Preach it obnoxiously. I do."

That's precisely what I did with Child Thief; I hope I can do it with this book as well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I look forward to checking these books out.
I'd also like to amend my previous question somewhat: I'd love any dark (and I don't care how creepy or demented) fantasy books - retelling of a fairy tale or no - with MALE protaganists. Female protaganists can get... annoying, putting it delicately.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
The Child Thief: A Novel
The Child Thief: A Novel by Brom (Hardcover - August 25, 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars (284)