Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mere Christianity forum

Books on Searching for God

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2008, 5:53:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008, 6:53:18 PM PDT
M. Pederson says:
Does anyone have any suggestions for books that can help one believe/find God?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008, 8:00:50 PM PST
The books that I found most helpful in my search for God are:
1) "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis
2) "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis
3) "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel

Strobel's book is probably the easiest to read. It was the first one that I read. It helped me, but did not totally convince me. The C.S. Lewis books had a profound impact on my life, but they are not easy reading. Lewis was British, and they use the language a little differently from Americans. While he wrote for laymen, as opposed to scholars, he used classic logic to make his case. I found myself having to reread many of his arguments before I could decide whether they made sense to me. Hopefully this will be helpful. God wants to be found. The key to finding truth is keeping an open mind and being sincere in the search.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2009, 7:27:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2009, 7:28:15 PM PDT
Recent books that I have read that I can wholeheartedly recommend:

1) "The Reason For God, Belief in an Age of Skepticism" by Timothy Keller
A compelling read. The first half of the book addresses the most frequently voiced doubts that skeptics have brought to the New York City church of Pastor Keller. The second half of the book addresses the reasons for faith. Keller presents Christianity as a soundly rational belief, held by thoughtful people of intellectual integrity. Surprisingly deep for a book that was so quick and easy to read.

2) "The Faith of a Physicist" by John Polkinghorne
Written by a distinguished quantum physicist who stepped down from his chair at Cambridge University to become an Anglican Priest and theologian. This book is probably most useful for those who have an academic or scientific bent. Although the book includes a glossary of some scientific and theological terms, Polkinghorne likes big words. This book clearly shows that true scientists and intellectuals are also Christians. As The National Review said, "If you are looking for easy and pat answers to difficult questions, you had better look elsewhere....Polkinghorne proceeds with laudable candor and intellectual integrity as he examines the credibility of major tenets of the Christian faith in the context of a contemporary, scientifically informed world picture." Heavily footnoted with a 6 page bibliography. This book is not an easy read.

Posted on Sep 1, 2009, 1:50:07 PM PDT
Jakkkke says:
I added this last, almost forgot. pastor Leiter with a great book on JUSTIFICATION and REGENERATION. I wish I had this book years ago. It is absolutely basic and assumes no prior theological knowledge and explains these crucial concepts. He also has several free mp3 sermons on the internet about multiple biblical topics.

1. The Bible ESV or NASB is my preference for accuracy and readability. KJV for me is good if I read it with another bible to help me when I get stuck on the 1600s english lingo.
2. Knowing God JI Packer
3. John Macarthur The Gospel according to Christ
4. Anything by Martyn Lloyd Jones
5. The bondage of the will. Martin Luther
6.The sovereignty of God Arthur Pink
7. The Christian in complete armour William Gurnall (takes time to read the puritans, but well worth it.
Smaller work edited by James s. Bell, jr. The Christian in complete armour (daily readings in spiritual warfare) isbn 0802411770
8. EG White had 5 volumes which was VERY helpful as I read through the bible as a christian for the first time. First is Patriarchs and Prophets, I found this extremely helpful reading along with the Bible.
9. Eventually a good commentary. You reading the bible yourself is important. Just because it is in a commentary, doesn't make it right.
Mathew Henry best (one of those puritans, very weighty reading and meditating, but absolutely the best.)
John Macarthur's commentary, 27 volumes, just made available on cd's.
Warren Wiersbe
Geisler
Boice
But overall, make your central source the bible. Helpful Christian friends, good church with a pastor who believes in teaching from the bible, prayer, and it is the holy spirit who does the work in you.
Being saved is not the end, it is the beginning. Once you have your heart right, nothing can touch you on this earth in a spiritual sense.
"Who you are in front of God is all you are" S. Charnock
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mere Christianity forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Mere Christianity
Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (Hardcover - September 8, 1988)
4.7 out of 5 stars (3,207)