Top critical review
79 people found this helpful
Just say no people, this is a ripoff in the worst way
on April 3, 2013
You can read my review of Borderlands 2, in which I lavish praise on a game that's seen more support in 6 months then most games see in their entire run (maybe to include sequels too).
However, this is a money grab in the worst possible way. Let me count the ways:
- The Season Pass costs $30. This will give you Captain Scarlett, Torgue's Campaign of Carnage AND Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt AND the released Level Cap increase AND the 4th DLC to come out in June.
So right there, you're getting $25 worth of DLC that this does NOT include for $25. Meaning you'll have to end up eventually paying $50 to have all of the DLC items that would have cost you $30. If you want to pay another $20 bucks for that, it's your choice.
But let's go on:
- The Gearbox Guns are crap. Pre-Order adopters got this initially. They'll help you get *MAYBE* through the first area but by then you'll find other guns that are superior to your level.
- The Creature Slaughter Dome is an OK place to level up, and yes, you get a rocket launcher from Moxxi, HOWEVER...the Norfleet, among others, are superior RL and you'll most likely never use it. CSD was a pre-order exclusive from GameStop. You won't miss it.
- Yes, you do get Gaige, but with the patching of The Bee shield as well as the Evil Smasher glitch AND the fact that after 5 months there are bugs with her character that GBX has yet to patch, you'd be better off just doing this separately with the $20 you save from the Season Pass (Gaige is $10 on PSN). Honestly, you can get by with the other 4 just fine.
- Heads and Skins have made GBX millions I am sure by this point. They add nothing and do nothing to help you play the game. The only ones that are tradable are the ones found in-game by drops.
- The Fireworks grenade is outclassed by many, many others (hello Longbow Stormfront) in the game. You'll use it once like the Moxxi RL and be done with it.
And there's one final caveat: You MUST HAVE the Borderlands 2 game to use this. Period.
So please, if you are that into BL2, buy the season pass, and if you REALLY need every character, get Gaige. In spending $40 that way, you will get 4 DLC's and the level cap increase. Vs. spending $25 and missing several updates.
One final point. GBX released a Game of the Year edition of BL1. You can expect the same once DLC 4 releases a few months later for BL2.
There is absolutely no reason to buy this, so save your money. BL2 the game, 5 stars. This is a 1 star rip-off money grab that no one should buy.
UPDATE!!! (28 August 2013). And wouldn't you know it, the Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition was just announced and will be available effective 8 October 2013 for PS3 and Xbox 360, and this will include:
- All pre-order bonuses
- All 4 DLC packs
- The level cap raise (to 61) as well as the Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
With this, and no offense, but you have to pretty much be dense to pay $30 for this, $20 for the regular game, and then still be shorted in the DLC department. The GOTY will retail for $60 at launch but with various discounts you could probably get it at $45-50 at launch.
PLEASE, for the love of all things sacred, do NOT buy this! Period! Save your money. :)