Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Game of the Year|Change
Price:$29.99

Showing 1-10 of 284 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 327 reviews
on July 24, 2014
Borderlands... wow. Nothing more needs to be said. The first Borderlands was something entirely new to me; I'd never seen a cross betwixt my two favourite genres (RPG+shooter) before. With the artfully balanced skill trees and unending randomised weaponry system (no two guns are ever exactly the same), just the gameplay mechanics alone are enough to give this game five stars.

It doesn't end there, though. I am in love with Borderlands' franchise-wide irreverence. It never takes itself seriously for too long.
You're treated to this from your very first encounter with bandits, screaming things like "You gonna squeal before we cook ya?" and "Shove this up your arse!"... followed not too much later by crazed lunatics known as Psychos screaming such sickness as "I wonder what your face... would look like on mine" and "Strip the flesh! Salt the wound!" as they charge at you, active grenade in-hand. Yeah, this game is insane.

From the very first scene, we notice how the game doesn't avoid obvious references to its game-ness (an in-game character hands us an HUD which, among other things, includes an "Experience Display Module", and we are soon introduced to the 'New-U' machine, which will reconstruct us when we die), and yet it manages to escape the ridiculosity of Nintendo-esque lines like "You can focus power in the blade (hold the B Button) [...] using the secret technique handed down by our people." It's very hard to put into words, but too many games these days try to "feel" like "real life" and try too hard to explain away the "game-ness"-- Borderlands feels like you're playing a game, and that's okay, because it's a damned good one.
on January 3, 2015
Hello,

The game of the year edition is much more fun to have and play than the basic version of Borderlands, because you get bonus areas to discover for example The underdome A.K.A Mad Moxxis underdome, where the 1st time around beating all 3 domes gives you an skill point to use for your character, not to mention also test your skills to the max so to speak in the arenas and oh yea wait till you get the option to do all 3 domes again but instead you have to beat 20 rounds per each dome instead of the standard 5 rounds but don't worry each round has the same amount of waves as the original 3 domes have witch is 5 waves, but I warn you ahead of time they are much tougher waves than before as in more added deficiencies against you to try and beat the wave and I do mean it as in they aren't easy to beat when the game takes more things away from you to try and beat the round so ya might wanna bring a friend or 2 before tackling to complete Mad Moxxis Underdome heh heh. The game is still definitely fun to play even though it's quite old now and also nice to reminisce if you haven't played the 1st Borderlands in awhile, besides that originals are always the best, well usually ;)

Happy 17 & up gaming,
A fan of Amazon Ծ_Ծ
on August 9, 2013
You'll know that this is a game that is very enjoyable to play that I am still playing on a regular basis till today. The looting element in the game keeps me coming back, and see if I can get a better item.

The story
- This is not a novel, not a grand scifi novel. It is sufficient to say that it is good enough story for a game of this nature. There are interesting characters (yes I am talking about you too, Claptrap) reasonable amount of side plots which may or may not be related to the main plot.

The mechanics
- The aim of the game (beside getting to the end boss, and killing it) is to get more stuff for your character. Logically the better stuff comes into play at higher levels which means a whole lot of leveling before you get to a stage where you'll almost maxed out your equipment. I didn't bother too much about the items in the earlier levels because as you level up better items comes along pretty quickly.
- The other element in the game mechanics is the skill tree, which introduce a nice "strategy" element into the game. The game doesn't lock you as you choose your skills, it has a feature which you can pay with the in game currency to reset your skills. Getting the right skills makes the game a little easier to advance to the next level / task in the game.

The graphics
- It was quite nice when the game first came onto the scene, it's a blend of cartoonish 2D images in a 3D game world. There are lots of places to explore and look at the in game scenery.

Conclusion
- If you like something that you can keep playing for years with no pressure of completing any quest urgently and you like to get better items each time you play, please give this game a try. Thanks
on February 8, 2013
You need the STEAM software to download and play the game!! Luckily, steam has some other good games for sale through their system so it's not such a big deal. You can even play multiplayer through the Steam system.

You play the role of a "vault hunter" sort of an interplanetary treasure hunter. You get a choice of four characters with very different skill sets. You can give each character some bonuses (more health, more shields, more bullets in the magazine, faster fire rate, more experience, better skill with a type of gun, etc.) as you level up. You're on a planet called Pandora, looking for a mysterious Vault that seems to have some treasure or something, nobody really knows if it even exists. Between you and the vault are space pirates, strange alien creatures, and corporate raiders. Luckily, you get some nice guns: acid-round shotguns, flaming submachine guns, and lightning sniper rifles among them. The GotY edition includes the main game as well as Moxxi's Underdome (where you fight enemy waves for rewards), Jakob's Cove (where you fight a zombie horde), Fort Knoxx (where you fight the army and steal their weapon stash), and Cl4ptrp Robolution (where you help another company stop a robotic revolution). The expansion missions have unique weapons and enemies, as well as a higher level cap than the main game. Anyway, if you like shooting space pirates and alien monsters while hunting for a bigger gun to shoot them with, this game will keep you entertained for many long hours.

Also, if this interests you, they have Borderlands 2 with a few expansion packs now. I haven't played that one yet because I can only afford games when they are old and cheap, but I hear it is even more fun than this game.
on July 22, 2015
When I got this game, it came with discs that were a NON-Steam Version. Lousy Secure-Rom Software wouldn't let me complete the installing of the game. However; Steam had a tool called the "Borderlands Granting Tool" which allows Non-Steam Versions to be used on Steam and be able to play Multiplayer as well. And Yes. It removes the Secure-Rom DRM crapware. So I logged in my steam account, downloaded the Tool, Ran it with my main Disc in drive, and I was able to install the game, Entered the CD key My game came to install ALL the DLC and everything was installed right after. Never needed the disc again. For a 14$ price I got from amazon, it was worth it.

This game is a lot of fun. I played both the PC and PS3 versions of the game and I think the PC version is by far the best. Better Graphics, Smoother Frames, and can do 1080p Res
on March 9, 2012
I purchased this last week, right before the Steam price drop which I'll get to in a minute. I see a bunch of reviewers here complaining about having to download the extra content. Either they're on the wrong listing for the game, or else I got an updated or special version from the secondary seller - this says Game Of The Year, and included a full disc for the extras. I just watched it install off the file path from the disc. I really don't know what else to say about it, but there does exist a version that has it on a disc... For the record, mine actually came from Canada somehow (didn't notice that when ordering), and it has both English and French in the manual and cover. I'm not that surprised by this since I live in NY and used to work at EB Games and we got a few Canadian games in stock from time to time.

As to the game itself, I haven't played very much of it because I've been busy, but I did enjoy the opening area once I fixed the mouse sensitivity. For the last four months I've been playing Skyrim so the controls take some getting used to, but that's just me. They're not too much different. I enjoy the humor of the game (although not for the faint of heart as it can be pretty brutal right from the get go), and I like that it is cel-shaded. Not too many games can pull that off. The only other ones that come to mind as being GOOD and cel-shaded are of course The Legend Of Zelda: The Windwaker, Jet Grind Radio, and Sly.

The Steam sale... well that just drives me crazy. My game arrived on I think Tuesday, and then Thursday night the version I WOULD have purchased was almost 40% cheaper than the one I bought. C'est la vie... I bought the Steam version too. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to mess around with both, since despite another review here I wasn't able to find a way to use my physical copy on Steam. I'll edit this if I find a way to do so, and then just let my husband use my Steam copy.
on April 13, 2016
Submitting a review this long after the game came out... maybe there's people like me who had forgotten about it and then though, hey how was that game anyway? Well...it was fine. A little dry and repetitive. Art design was a cool idea, but the colors don't do it justice. Very gray and tan, pale, bleak colors, not like the cover at all. There was zero character development or interaction, which I guess I should have expected, and may have been better if I played with friends, but I kind of doubt it. If you waited this long to play, I say skip it and play the sequel. I understand that it's just an upgraded version of this one.
on May 25, 2012
Borderlands GotYE contains all of the DLC associated with Borderlands. Other reviews say that there is a one-time download. ****THIS IS NOT TRUE OF THIS PRODUCT****, and should not be on the Digital Download version's page. The boxed edition (the one you buy in a store) had download codes and yes, that was a terrible method.

This digital download does not have that restriction. You activate the game with Steam using the code that Amazon gives you. Once you do that Steam will offer you the two codes that you will need to unlock further DLC (2 require the codes, 2 do not. Without looking at it, I think it's Zombie Island & the Underdome that Steam gives you the codes for). Steam holds these codes for you, you copy and paste them into the game at the appropriate time to unlock the content for yourself.

Now, more about the game: Borderlands is a first-person shooter with action-RPG elements such as skills & experience levels. It is an outstanding cooperative multiplayer experience with many of the individual class skills helping your teammates as well as yourself. They can be either directly helpful, such as the Soldier's medic skills (his bullets will somehow heal you, it's bizarre yet awesome) or more subtle, like the Hunter's scavenging skills which will allow the team to get more drops (ammo, health, money, weapons).

The downside is that the story is not very good (it's pretty basic and disjointed... which is quite an accomplishment, however dreary) but that is more than balanced out by the frantic action, diverse array of weaponry and effects, and the amusing sense of humor permeating the whole thing. Yes, it's very puerile and sophomoric, but it's pretty funny at times and will at least make you smile if not laugh outright.

The game is okay for single player but multiplayer co-op is where it shines. Grab a few friends and play.
on June 18, 2014
I enjoyed playing Borderlands quite a bit. The GotYE is a great value if you're a fan of the series. It's quite an interesting twist on the FPS genre with it's RPG aspects scattered about. The UI is not the most intuitive, often proving confusing and clunky. Navigating can be difficult due to the lack of a proper mini-map (You're limited to a navigation compass at the top). The quests also have scaling issues, as you often find yourself underleveled for where the game feels you should be. This can cause a lot of deaths and frustration.

That being said, the storyline is great and the characters are fun. You wouldn't think such a deep storyline and epic experience could come from something that's primarily an "FPS". I highly suggest you give this game a try, as you get hours of play for the money. And if you enjoy this, you should also check out the sequel which is a more polished version of this with more story to enjoy.
on October 8, 2013
I been playing Borderlands since it came out but on 360, the PC version is identical to the console version and i did manage to snag about 25 hour of playtime and beated the the Zombie Island DLC + the Main quest and after playing the s*** out of the game on consoles beating all DLC and leveling up 4 characters up to the cap of 69 the game is still fun years later. The game shines the most when playing the game online with your friends or local co-op the fun of playing with friends and sharing the guns you have found trough your jorney makes the game all that more enjoyable.

This game has 4 classes each with their own unique action skill and set of skill tree's which makes them unique at how you chose to set them up and play. This game is an RPG at heart with gazillions of different guns and alot of guns with unique effects and abilities. The best of both worlds an RPG with shooter elements give this game a chance and i promise you wont be disappointed, then try out Borderlands 2 which is out already which improves of everything you loved about the first 1 and din't like.

I give this game 5/5 stars, the best 30$ you will spend on a game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.