Truck Season Automotive Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Borderlands - Playstation 3
Format: Video Game|Change

on December 13, 2017
Looked really cool ! Got this for my boyfriend ! The game design really looked amazing ! ⭐

About the game : 🎮 The games in Borderlands take place on the planet Pandora in an unknown time period. Tales of a mythical Vault with fabulous wealth and treasure led to the planet becoming central in a power struggle between business, military, and mercenary groups over the years. This has also attracted a number of specialized Vault Hunters, loyal only to themselves, that are lured by the myth of the Vault.
Borderlands is a series of action role-playing first-person shooter video games in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.
on August 25, 2011
I bought this game (like most games) about 2 years after it came out. I just finished up with a somewhat disappointing Bioshock 2, and was looking for anything that wasn't a sequel to something I had played before. In spite of the comments from other reviewers that it was like Fallout3 with some more action (I liked Fallout3, but it was my intro to the Fallout franchise) and my resolution not to play sequels, I picked this up at it's current bargain price.

The artwork for outdoor settings is great. Unlike anything else I've played. Indoor settings don't match the outdoor slickness, and are mostly just OK.

Warning: strategy discussion pro/con below may be considered minor spoiler, or more like walk-through material.

The RPG aspect is OK. I didn't start playthrough 2, instead chosing to start playthrough 1 again with a different character. Definitely the different characters require different combat styles to be most effective. Also the active skill trees are hard to predict which branch has most value to develop, and rebalancing skill points occassionally creates some interest and variety in combat style.

The vehicles actually handle quite well, but there's a knack for it that took me a perhaps embarassing amount of time to figure out. If you just put the cross hairs where you want to go and hit the throttle that's where you go. Because the throttle is on L joystick I had a hard time overcoming the normal PS3 move/turn on L, slide on R, kind of control scheme, to have L be just move, and R be turn.

The other aspect that took a little to figure out was strategy for levelling up. Be very selective about the order of the missions/bounties. The difficulty rating is *relative* to your current level. As you level up impossible ones become hard, hard ones become tough, tough becomes normal, and normal becomes trivial. It's much easier to tackle the trivial/normal ones first to level up, until the hard ones drop in difficulty. I discovered this only after my first multiple death experience going up against the same scenario.

Enemies respawn more frequently than loot.

You spend WAY WAY WAY too much time in the inventory screen. Inventory is limited, all the guns are different, and there's a huge variety of shields and grenades, so it's non-trivial to manage having the best guns for different enemies, best grenades, etc.

Saving at save points or manually via exit says "saving all progress" but not really. You get to keep all your loot, but you go back to the beginning of the mission or sometimes a different close-by save station, and you have to re-fight some of the same battles again (seen enemies respawn comment).

Some of the boss battles are tedious. Bosses don't move very fast generally but take huge damage to kill (unless you've over-levelled) so you can spend minutes with fairly repetitive combat to get past them.

Overall a fun game, and one you can easily spend hours without dying once you learn a few small tricks, and the artwork for the outdoor scenes really is great. I might have to reconsider my "no sequels" rule in another 2 years when borderlands 2 is at bargain prices!
on March 24, 2010
Ahh Borderlands... I was curious about this game for a long time. I enjoy most FPS's, but this one looked like it might turn me off in certain ways. I saw it used on Amazon, so I decided to take the plunge, and I'm really glad I did.

First of all, you have four classes you can choose from. I really wish there was more variety within the classes. Really the only differences are the special abilities that they have. It says certain classes are better with certain guns, but I don't really see a difference either way. Also, the game forces you to adapt to different play styles. For instance, if you're dead set on being a sniper, you'll have a hard time getting by the first "boss" character.

On the surface, the game has a rather large amount of depth. There are three tiers of upgrading your character, with about six or eight abilities in each tier. However, I wish there was more variety in the upgrading system. A lot of the upgrades don't make a huge difference on the surface, though many are very helpful overall.

This game has guns. Lots and lots of guns. There are possibly several hundred thousand different guns in the game. Many of them are junk, and you'll either leave them on the side of the road or sell them to one of the many weapon vending machines. Once you find a gun that you really like, you'll really start busting some heads. There are also a large variety of grenades and grenade mods that you can use. There will always be different ways to off your enemies.

If you play this game by yourself, you're doing it a dis-service. It's fun, sure, but the game comes alive when you're playing co-op with four people. Enemies are more numerous and tougher to take down, and your loot becomes better and more lucrative. So, it's still fun by yourself, but definitely play with other people when you can.

If you're a fan of the Call of Duty franchise, don't pick up Borderlands expecting a similar experience. It's not a twitch and shoot FPS. It's an action RPG played from a first person perspective, a lot like Fallout 3. This game has an art style and presentation that is quirky and unique, and it's one of my favorite parts of the whole Borderlands experience.

Give it a try if you want something unique, fun, and entertaining on a variety of levels.
on July 5, 2011
Just finished this fun game.

Mission based game to gain exp to upgrade your character. Played the sniper character but actually need to go back and try the others. RPG/FPS combo.

Constant upgrade of weapons finding them. Dollar amounts do not always accurately grade the weapon.

Run around Pandora. Missions gain experience to upgrade character. Few things I wish I incorporated earlier in the game that I missed.

Read the load screens carefully as they have very useful information.
Weapons should have a high consideration on accuracy in selection.
Second wind - never understood it till later. In the end the respawn of character cost $200K as there was so much enjoyable character death. There are some funny lines. Death is not final as you get a second wind/chance on killing anything once you are fading to black.
Reallocate points - well worth it as I discovered in the end to fine tune the character development. The final 'boss' needed to reallocate the points so my character had max firepower.

The mix of character development and mix of weapons made the game very interesting. Wish I had purchased the version with the DLCs.
on April 20, 2010
I have never had much interest in first person shooters. They all felt so similar and quite a few of the more recent ones have felt so generic that it's almost painful to sit through them. That being said, I loved this game! I am a long time fan of role playing games, and the creation of the first person role playing genre was a lot of fun to play. I kept me interested by keeping with the rpg elements of leveling up and customizing different builds while also making the first person shooter genre feel a bit more appealing. I enjoyed the different classes and still found blowing the enemy's head off in a standard shooter style fun. Those who found this game to be lacking are more than likely your typical first person shooter fans. I have always hated the first person shooter genre because it's always so multiplayer focused. Even one of the best shooters, COD Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, cater to the multiplayer crowd more than creating the best possible campaign/story. So it was very refreshing to find a shooter style game with the mechanics and story of a role playing game.
I did enjoy the co-op play and always found it more fun to jump online with a buddy or two to kick some tail and snipe some heads. That being said, every game has it's issues. My primary issue with this game had to do with the frame rate suffering when there were four people in a game together. This game was obviously designed with cooperative play in mind. So why everytime there were four people together did one notice slow down and decreased framerate is beyond me. The developer Gearbox has been pretty good about fixing most of the issues that arose and keeping the fans happy with affordable DLC (downloadable content) to keep us coming back. That's my two cents, if your opinion is different so be it. I had fun and this game has been well worth my money and that is what counts in the long run anyway.
on June 13, 2010
I finished the main Borderlands game and much of two add-ons. The combat (which dominates the game) can be intense and keep you on the edge of your seat. With so many weapons to choose from, it is fun just deciding what guns you'll have handy for the next encounter. I've always liked sniper weapons and there are some wonderful ones in this game. As the game progressed, I also found myself getting more and more use out of the powerful shotguns available. Scoped weapons were my favorites. The weapons look very good too. Some very cool ones.

Though I've had a lot of fun playing Borderlands, the are some things that I did find annoying (which kept me from giving Borderlands the highest rating available). The save feature is one of the weak spots. You have to rely on save points, which seemed to work pretty well in the main game, but not as well in the add-ons. Very frustrating to work through countless battles, get to a save point, end your session, and then find out upon restarting that you are right back to where you started that particular adventure. The fast travel locations, which helped a lot in the main game, were really missed during the add-ons. Most of the time it was okay, but not being able to get a true save position whenever you want is a minus. If this game had the wonderful save features from Fallout 3, it would have been much better.

Enemies respawn regularly and quite frequently. I don't mind enemies respawning, but not while you are still grinding through a tough location. A long, drawn-out, skirmish can sometimes have the nasty side effect of the most recently killed enemies re-attacking you from behind as you are still engaged with the current enemies. Respawning would have made more sense only upon re-entering the area another time. The dead should stay dead while you are still working through a level or area.

The game excels with the combat though. The variety of weapons allow for different fighting strategies and 4 of the weapons are always ready for "on the fly" changes in the heat of battle. The special features for the 4 characters you play are great. I have the Machine Gun Turret (with shield) that my character can deploy in the heat of battle. After a while, this upgradeable aid becomes very strong and a lifesaver. Many times, this machine gun saved my hide and at the very least, gave me a fighting chance against numerous or "strong" enemies.

If you like first person shooters, this game will not disappoint. The flaws, though annoying, did not take away from the fun of the fire fights. Overall, I still prefer Fallout 3, but for combat, think of this as Fallout 3 on steroids. You won't have to look hard to find something charging at you, spitting damaging fluids at you, or shooting at you. It's a good thing there are so many guns to choose from, because you'll most certainly need them.
on March 29, 2014
I bought this as a cheap impulse buy, because I had no games to play, and I must say, it's been a blast. It's a funny, fun, interesting FPS. I'm a huge fan of Bioshock, Fallout and Far Cry; although Borderlands doesn't live up to those, it doesn't try to. The actions and quests are cool in their own right, and I find myself laughing as much as fighting--which just can't be a bad thing. There are also different ways to go about missions, which I think is a key point of well-crafted games. I was pleasantly surprised, given the gameplay teasers I saw didn't really capture the real feel and fun of the game. No surprise that this comes out of the 2K shop.
on May 3, 2016
My husband and I loved playing this split screen co-op version of Borderlands, along with quite a lot of downloadable content.
We are already into Borderlands 2 and it's a blast! If you're looking for a split screen or couch co-op game this is your game.
The graphics are good and the game play is smooth. We have been taking our good sweet time and savoring every mission.
Warning..it's totally addictive! ;-)
on January 9, 2014
Addicted to this game. For those who like the first person style shoot 'em up games, this is a great buy. I personally don't like many games like this, but this is an exception. I love the half realistic, half comic book type graphics on this game. The beginning is a little slow, so don't get discouraged when all your shooting is skags (dog-like creatures). Soon you will be going up against all kinds of men and monsters alike. Tons of guns to choose from, as well as characters. I can sit there and play this game for hours and hours. Recommend to any and all gamers out there!
on December 14, 2013
I bought this soon after it first came out and I was happy. As I was playing it, expansions kept coming out and as I furthered my adventure in the game, the list of things to do just kept growing.

It's funny, it's addicting, it's great.

My one gripe with the game is that it was initially limited in terms of repeatable exploration. Once you knew an area, you knew it well and there was nothing much else you could do. I, however, mitigated this by using my imagination and environment! I played as Mordecai as I loved the idea of taking out threats from afar and would leverage the environment as much as possible to make my missions and tasks seem much more enjoyable.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.