Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 229 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 395 reviews
on February 4, 2016
I had a few friends with synesthesia growing up, and hearing them describe how they saw the world was fascinating. I have a math/science background, and Daniel Tammet has always intrigued me. After finding this book for my kindle, I was quite excited to read it. I really enjoyed reading this book for the first few chapters. It was intriguing, compelling, and absolutely fascinating how Tammet describes how his mind works. What follows was not so fascinating. After the hook, Tammet pretty much goes through his life growing up, but to me it came off as almost an emotionless list of events. I did this. Then this happened. I did that. The events didn't feel particularly coherent and there seemed to be a lack of explanation of how the things that he did and the things occurring around him had any significant impact on anything at all. It was like providing a connect the dots picture of his life, but without connecting the dots. I fell disinterested and left it half read.

My sister read was reading this book at the same time I did and loved it. She found it fascinating and compelling in its entirety.

Summary: This book isn't for everyone. Make sure to give it a try if you're interested in Savant-ism, Aspergers, or Synesthesia. It's a different kind of beast altogether.
on December 22, 2015
Fascinating biography. I teach first year college students and mention Tammet as an example of how we need to understand our strengths and weaknesses. When someone (like Tammet), is at genius level in one area of brain function then by necessity his brain can't make connections to optimize other brain functions. By studying and reflecting upon brains that work exceptionally well at certain extremes, we learn more about how "normal" brains have their sets of strengths and offsetting weaknesses as well.
on July 25, 2017
3.5 stars. Nicely written autobiography. Tammet, a man well known for his Asperger's syndrome and related savant capabilities, is open and frank about growing up and feeling different. Many doctors and scientists have found Tammet an especially interesting case because of his great introspection and ability to articulate how his savant capabilities feel to him - making him an important window into processes that most savants cannot explain. Tammet's honesty and willingness to share his vulnerabilities, and the challenges he faced, make this book well worth the time. That said, it still feels a little short and sometimes jumps around a bit or doesn't go as deeply into major milestones as a reader might like. Despite these slight shortcomings, the book is nicely written and offers a vantage point into living with Asperger's that is welcome and necessary.
on May 3, 2017
Reading this savant's book made me realize how much differently abled people can accomplish. His childhood was so unusual you will have to stop & think about how you navigated your formative years. He helped me see the special world where inability to recognize emotional states of others means ignoring everything outside your own attention span. It is a short book. I read it in about 4 hours even with some intentional back tracking to be sure I understood the implications of his unique view of world. You will think about this book for a long time after closing it.
on September 12, 2016
Fascinating. This book gave me an inside look into the mind of an autistic savant, also I have a better understanding of epilepsy now. It amazes me how Daniel Tammet sees numbers as colors and shapes. I read the whole book in one session.
Read this book if you are looking to be inspired and are looking to explore new perspectives of people with disabilities and how they see the world.
I find it interesting how he can describe his mathematical abilities so clearly.
VINE VOICEon March 11, 2007
After seeing this appealing young man on a 60 minutes video clip, I bought the book to learn more about him. In the tv interview, I found it hard to believe that he was particularly autistic, but his memoir convinces me that, yeah, he is pretty autistic. In spite of his high-functioning, he does have fairly serious difficulties with normal living. He is able to make a living, of a sort, though in a somewhat sheltered environment. He has fallen in love and the warmth of his affection towards his partner and towards his family members is particularly touching since he seems so naive and had to actively learn to be cognizant of other people and their feelings.

But in addition to overcoming the limitations of autism, he also has very impressive savant abilities. Under controlled conditions, he has proven that he can memorize thousands and thousands of digits of pi and that he can learn the fundamentals of the vocabulary and grammar of an unfamiliar language in less than a week. (I do disagree that Icelandic was a stunningly difficult language choice. It's not a bad choice, since it's a language that few people know any little snippets of. But it is actually related to Old English and is nowhere near as unrelated or difficult as Vietnamese or Navajo would be for an English-speaker.)

The story is sweetly and gently told, reflecting the mind of a sweet and gentle guy with a highly unusual mind. And the implications of savant abilities continue to suggest that our minds are far different than we might suspect.
on June 27, 2017
In a literary era of memoir, it takes a lot to stand out. This book does so. The prose is indicative of the writers unique world view and conveys an interesting life story.
on June 29, 2017
interesting first person account of asperges's syndrome.
well written
kept my attention
on July 20, 2017
We meet people every day and everyone is different. Daniel allows us to look out on the world through his eyes. In an age of hate and intolerance, the more we see life through others' eyes, the more accepting we become.
Anyone who enjoys autobiographies, those with friends or family on the autism spectrum, those in a service related field all would enjoy this remarkable book.
on August 1, 2017
The author describes his life, the successes and challenges, so the the reader gains a perspective on autism and ausbergers.