Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 867 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,160 reviews
on May 24, 2014
Lana Del Rey seemingly gets a lot of negativity thrown her way because most people discovered her via You Tube with her song "Video Games." However, for those who can look past how she was discovered there is a lot to appreciate on this album. I'm not even quite sure how to classify her music - it's soulful and brooding, but at the same time catchy. I particularly like her lyrics, which often borderline on overtly sexual - but her delivery doesn't make it sound crass. Hip and glamorous would be a good way to describe the overall feel of the album. It's honestly good from start to finish, and her sound is entirely unique. I haven't heard anything like what she's doing before.
on March 17, 2014
as a writer I recognize great lyrics and metaphors when I hear them, even if I cant imitate them or even wanted to. lanas use of her darkly erotic and sensual voice tentacles itself deep within ones heart and makes one ache for the need and wonder and power of it all. then, after a few listens, it strikes you just how brilliant the lines, the songs, even the album concept actually is.
it is easily the most gorgeous album ive heard since jazmin sullivans " fearless," and though just as poetic, lanas album may be more cohesive. lana sees things as they actually seem to be in my experience, though we're worlds apart. and she does not glamourize prostitution( "carmen"), as has been falsely represented by others. she simply states that it happens and that these women ( in this case) deal with their situation in their best fashion as they can and with real humanity. but the song that really set off the extremist fascists, oh my, I meant to write extremist feminists-dear me!, is the line in "this is what makes us girls," which is, 'this is what makes us girls/we don't stick together 'cause we put love first.' now that's insightful poetry!
so, if you wish to delve into an incredible artistic, emotional experience and perhaps even gain some insights while falling in love with a new poet, embrace lana del rey and be wafted away in the tornado of song in the gentle guise of a warm breeze.
on February 14, 2012
What an amazing voice. I am an admirer of female vocalists and I have a new favorite. I loved some of the songs, liked a few, and there are three I didn't really get into BUT 9 out of 12 is very strong don't you agree? In an age of one hit wonders made business' like Itunes a success with the ability to buy just the song you liked and not have to waste your coin on a CD finding an album worth buying is rare and a blessing. And at $6-$9 it's well worth the price. I'd skip the deluxe and stick to the regular album. I sampled the deluxe here on Amazon and the three extra songs were weak in my humble opinion. In her defense the three songs I didn't dig were all geared towards women. I'm a man and didn't really get their message nor was I supposed to I don't think. So here is my star rating of each song 5 stars goes to Born to Die, Blue jeans, Radio and Summertime Sadness.4 stars to Video Games and Diet Mountain Dew. 3 stars to National Anthem and Dark Paradise. 2 stars to the remaining four songs. Now this isn't like rating a movie so 2 stars doesn't mean they sucked just ok. 3 stars means I liked them, 4 stars really liked and 5 stars were amazing tracks. BUY IT
on August 18, 2014
I am a Lana del Rey BELIEVER despite the SNL mishap. I love her soulful, sultry voice and the interesting, unique song compilation. She tends to have certain themes repeating throughout her songs, but they do not get boring or stale. Some people find her music a bit depressing or not lively enough, but I disagree. I have probably played this CD on repeat over 100 times. I love every song except "Carmen" - find that one kind of odd and too slow for my tastes, but in particular I have gravitated towards:
1. Blue Jeans - This is the song that got me hooked on Lana in the first place. I liked the range of her voice, and the unexpected but totally perfect "rap" in the verse.
2. Off to the Races - I absolutely hated the verse when it first played, but once the chorus came on, I started to tolerate and then really liked the verse. The chorus is amazingly catchy, chaotic, and fun.
3. Summertime Sadness - There is usually one song besides the initial radio hits that become popular with good artists. I honestly would not have pegged this one to be it. I thought "Dark Paradise" or "Diet Mountain Dew" would have been more popular, but I understand why people like this one. The verse is cool and swingy, and I eagerly await the bridge (cause it is SO FUN to sing) every time this song plays.
4. Radio - I like the sweet sounding melody paired with the expletives. It was unexpected and kind of fun. Though it sucked that the first time I had this playing, I was in my car, next to a minivan with kids in it. Definitely got some evil eyes from the lady driving the van... sorry, lady. I had NO idea!
5. This Is What Makes Us Girls - This song is completely on point. It's unapologetic in pointing out that us girls tend to kind of leave each other to the wayside in the pursuit of romance, but that it's a "curse." I see it as a frank assessment, but something that we can improve on!
6. Dark Paradise - Lyrics are super relatable. This is definitely something you listen to when you've just gone through a bad breakup. I like that her songs have clear situations in which they apply but are still good to listen to outside of those situations.

Overall, her lyrics are super nostalgic, both in calling back times far gone and times of our childhood and youth. It takes me back to the days when I used to play my scant few CDs on repeat, and that's how I would find all the hidden gems that no one else knew about. Though I understand the ease and convenience of purchasing single digital songs, unless you download the whole album and play it on repeat, you don't get that same experience as popping a CD in and being somewhat forced to listen to all of the songs. This album is definitely worth listening to in its entirety. (Except "Carmen." I really don't like that song.)
on November 1, 2014
Wow. I've known of her, but I didn't give her music a chance until very recently. And I am so glad I did! The combination of her voice and music is so unique; it's like nothing else around, and at the same time, it feels like it could be music from another time. She looks and sounds like a 50s/60s icon, but her voice never hijacks the modern sound of the music - it just compliments it beautifully. She is definitely an underrated artist who hasn't quite been given the praise that is rightfully hers. In a day and age when most artists are starting to all sound the same, it's awesome to hear a young woman making her own mark on the music world, and quite frankly, just not giving a damn. She's seems comfortable embracing her dark side and doesn't apologize for anything. I hope she keeps making this kind of music since there is just not enough of it out there (in my opinion).
on April 4, 2012
Lana Del Rey is a refreshing new arrival on the music scene. With other female musicians gaining fame by proving how trashy they can be, Lana, like Adele, shine through as woman who are not trying to roll around in the mud. Not that she won't sprinkle a few "f" words around here and there, to spice things up a little.

I have kept this CD in my player and listened to it over and over because Lana's delivery on several songs is unique: on a song like "Born to Die", sounding almost monotone, her voice is carried along by soaring strings and bouncing hip-hop in the background. This rich mixture of sound throughout the album makes the album enticing for the ears. Her voice winds up leaving you haunted and hypnotized by the words, playing in your head long after you've finished listening. Thus, they are also sticky.

Sometimes, the lyrics resound in your head because of repetition. In "Summertime Sadness," the song's title is repeated many times in the song, like a mantra. This is one of my favorite songs. The wistfulness of summer coming to an end brings to mind The Doors' "Summer's Almost Gone," very much capturing the similar spirit. This song, along with "Born to Die," the richly orchestrated and lush "Video Games," and "Dark Paradise" are the tunes I would put on a chill out playlist. Feeling like chilling out, a bit blue, or winding down for the day, these tunes help sync with that mood.

Other tunes are more playful and energetic, where Lana uses a fuller range of voice, as in "Off to the Races" and "Diet Mountain Dew," both of which bounce along, but moderately--she's not trying to hit the disco dance floor here!

One thing I like is use of very descriptive language, really painting pictures of things, as in "Off to the Races": Swimming pool glimmering darling/ White bikini off with my red nail polish/ Watch me in the swimming pool / Bright blue ripples.

"National Anthem" has a clever touch with the lead in of the sound of muted fireworks in the background.

The rest of the songs that round out the album are okay, but don't stand out like the previous ones mentioned. If you're looking for something different, definitely check out Lana Del Rey. If she has more material like this, I can't wait till her next album.
on May 21, 2014
I can't say I liked Lana Del Rey at first. Maybe it was her lackluster live performance on SNL, but I admit I judged her before I listened to anything of hers beyond Video Games. Even that song annoyed me at first.

Now, this album is one of my favorites. Del Rey's near monotone warbling isn't for everyone, nor are her themes and lyrics centric on decadent, materialistic, and empty living, obsession and love that is often shallow, and issues faced by the beautiful, fickle, and female. But her lyrics are witty, cheeky, and brilliant beyond their surface meanings. Her voice is hauntingly sensual, even if not wholly impressive in regard to range, but that's her style. It does well for the themes of her songs and it suits the imagery, especially for tracks like "Young and Beautiful" (not included on the album), "Off to the Races," and "Video Games." Even if she is a "manufactured" artist, she's a good one.
on April 18, 2016
I need to clarify my star rating. I love this album and, by and large, it sounds amazing on vinyl. The reduction of stars is because the copy I received was mildly warped and has a significant pressing error on Side A which seriously detracts. It's almost enough for me to worry about damaging my needle. Buying an album new should, in theory, prevent these issues.
on December 18, 2012
I really like Lana Del Rey. "Born To Die" is a solid album. Video Games is definitely kick a$$ song - arguably THE song of the year. It's one of those great pop songs that comes around once in a long time. When it came out, everyone I know that has heard "Video Games" loved it. And then it just disappeared. Title track is another incredible single. Some of my personal favorites are "Off To The Races", "Dark Paradise" and "Summertime Sadness". I played this CD a lot when it first came out. I really liked it. More than anything was Lana's distinctive voice ... Personally, I always have to like voice on the record for it to do something for me. Lana has unique voice. So about 9-10 months later I re-visited this CD and it is still solid. Tone of the album is cool. As the end of 2012 nears, Lana is on all kinds of lists of nominees for awards but NOT Grammy. In some ways, that makes her cooler and more mystique or whatever ... but there is something wrong with that. People on this web-site have responded very positively to her album. It looks like Academy has lowered the standards majorly. In the absence of Grammy nomination, in my book Lana remains the best BY FAR of all artists that came out this year.
on April 11, 2016
This was so great of an album, once I was able to have a record player, this was top on my list. I feel like It's part of the experience to listen to records will putting on lipstick in a dim lit room. I prefer this album over any other of the albums she put out. I feel like this one is the most solid in songs I like. National Anthem is my favorite song out of all of them though.