- File Size: 444 KB
- Print Length: 225 pages
- Publisher: Akashic Books (June 19, 2012)
- Publication Date: June 19, 2012
- Language: English
- ASIN: B007UW58E4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#382,558 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #61 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > War & Peace
- #193 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Vietnam War
- #279 in Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > War & Peace
Born on the Fourth of July Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY is Kovic's unpolished, sincere, aggressive and searingly sad remembrance of his Vietnam experience. Kovic was gravely wounded on the first day of the Tet Offensive. Returning home as a paraplegic, Kovic tells us of the hideous treatment he received at the hands of the Veterans Administration, a bureaucracy so rotten that it neglected and abused the very men and women it was supposed to aid.
The sheer contempt with which Kovic was treated turned this All-American young man into a cynic, turning him against the war, and forcing him to confront an uncomfortable paradox: millions were being spent on war machines while America's wounded soldiers had to live with filth and rats in their hospital rooms.
The experience drove Kovic to become a public speaker for Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW). Interestingly, Kovic never mentions John Kerry, a founder of that organization, but he does recount how VVAW was infiltrated by Nixon operatives and almost derailed.
Kovic also tells us---in various flashbacks---about his psychological journey as a paraplegic, about his loneliness, his depression, his pain and misery, and his frustration at being unable to walk. He writes frankly and cathartically of coping with the loss of his sex life.Read more ›
The unique aspect about Kovic's book, "Born on the Fourth of the July" is that Kovic wrote the entire book from personal experience. Kovic is not a writer but had a lot to say. He writes his beliefs and thoughts down to tell the world.Read more ›
I was too cool to believe any of that, and guys like Ronnie were unenlightened. I felt sorry for them.
I have become an old man now and these days I am trying for all I am worth to be a good father to my son who is Ronnie's age. When he began telling me that he was thinking about joining the Marines, I began reading to him from Ron's book. Reading to him at night while he lay in his bed as I had when he was a small boy. I wanted him to know that if he went to war in Iraq and was wounded horribly there, his government and his country would not care about him. I wanted him to know that the same people who were in power in America and who sent Ron off to war, were in power once again. The same pathetic collection of clowns and liars eager to have wars so long as they and their children don't have to fight them. Cowards, really. I told my son that he would be fighting for a commander in cheif and a vice president and a secretary of state who are cowards. I told my son that the same conservative republicans who spit on Ron Kovic after he gave his body for America were in power once again and that he could expect them to spit upon him when he came home from war if he opposed them. Ron Kovic's magnificent book persuaded my son not to fight for his country in Iraq. I am forever in the author's debt.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
There is something about the way he writes-stream of consciousness and uniqueness. Makes all his important points without being preachy. Not too long either. Very impressed.Published 4 months ago by Terry P
This is not only the extraordinarily moving tale of Vietnam Veteran Ron Kovic’s quest for the value of human life, but also a plea to the United States to maintain everything he... Read morePublished 4 months ago by E.R.3.
Lets be clear on this.Born on the fourth of July is a sad, depressing book. Certainly not for the faint hearted and it is brutally straight-laced, honest and spot on true portrayal... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Arindam Dhar
Very good book, glad I finally got to read it. Better than the film as per usual. God bless you Ron.Published 6 months ago by CODY DUNNING
This book is gritty, honest, and forthright. I read this book for a class and it was definitely great to learn a human perspective of the Vietnam war.Published 7 months ago by Naomi Moran
I have been wanting to read this book but was apprehensive at first. I knew it would be an emotional one. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Maria Schneider
Sometimes people write their own stories and they make themselves out to be better people than they are. Better people than any of us are, really! Read morePublished 8 months ago by Jen
This is a book about the true horror of a soldier being maimed for life, and dealing with the adversity he encounters along the way, during and after the war. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Ernie Graziano
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > United States
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military > Vietnam War
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Political
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > Military > Vietnam War
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > War & Peace
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Vietnam War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > United States
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Military & Spies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Americas > United States > 20th Century
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > Vietnam War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Specific Topics > War & Peace