Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,704 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,625 reviews
on June 28, 2016
To be honest I never thought that I would ever believe that I could read a book around the topic of running and enjoy it, but this has turned into one of my all time favorite books and changed the way I think about running.
Distance running is the fountain of youth (if done correctly), and this book both inspires you to run and gives you tips on how to run without hurting your body.
on September 18, 2015
My husband, a living gazelle, convinced me to read this book. I did so, begrudgingly, because I've never been much of a runner and didn't feel like suffering through another book that left me wondering why so many people seem to like running and I just don't. Well, I stand corrected. This book was amazing and I have not stopped talking about it since.

First, Christopher McDougall's career as journalist serves the book well, helping him paint an incredibly vivid, engrossing story, rich with facts and characters that will keep you interested, even if you have no intention of lacing up your running shoes. Second, its focus on preventing injury by targeting form has helped me immensely. I found myself itching to get outside and give it all a try - to see if I, too, could enjoy the "moving meditation" that running provides for so many others without hurting myself. Here I am 10 weeks later, running up to 10 miles at a time for the very first time in my life, injury-free, and really enjoying it. When did I become one of "those" people?!

If you're looking to change how you think about running and how you feel when you're running, look no further.
on May 28, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The Tarahumara Indians are a fascinating people, their joy and peace loving nature as well as athleticism is inspiring. The other ultra runners mentioned in the book were interesting people also. I also found it interesting that runners injuries increased after the development of running shoes. I think non runners will enjoy this book also.
on June 1, 2017
Don't want to sound like a broken record, but here goes nothing. Too many times we focus on a single tree and lose the whole Forrest. Runners can/should remember why we do things. Why do we run or live for that matter? This book gives you a peek into why we must run. In a single journey we see that runners are about more than running. Who would've thought, lol. Ever hear of compassion and fun in the same sentence with running? It's in the book. Worth reading. Unless you're totally weird. But then again all runners are weird. Enjoy a good story about good people.
on March 12, 2013
"A hidden tribe, superathletes, and the greatest race the world has never seen"

Thought provoking - Entertaining - Motivating - A must read for runners and non-runners alike!

Once I started reading this book I could not put it down. It has been a while since I have sacrificed night time TV watching for a book, but this one became an addiction. I devoured it in two days and was raving about it non-stop afterwards.

I must admit that after reading the first few chapters I was questioning whether this was a fictional book. I am not that familiar with the ins and outs and personalities within US running circles. This coupled with high tales of the Tarahumaran Indians and a reclusive gringo gone grunge in the deadly Copper Canyons going by the name of Caballo Blanco just threw me for a six. As I eased into the story however I realized that what the author Christopher McDougall was doing was representing every character and their story. If something didn't make sense, it wasn't meant to as there more was to come and loose ends would be tied when they needed to be. He did an outstanding job of not only weaving a magnificent tale but also intertwining tidbits and findings about running science, history and anthropology.

For the reader each character comes alive and you empathize and sympathize with them during their part of the journey. You also begin to question everything that you think you know about running that has been fed to you by the big brand names. Do I need stabilizing shoes to minimize injury or does the shoe in fact cause the injuries? Will running over twenty miles kill my joints or will it set me free?

This book has also been the catalyst for a miracle... my husband has started to run and has been enjoying it. Now, he hasn't read the book (yet) but he has spent a few hours on and off with me discussing a lot of the pertinent issues and findings brought up in the book. I think the enthusiasm and excitement I displayed along with the gleam in my eye as I shared this tale convinced him (or at least tweaked his curiosity) that there was some sense behind running.

This book has inspired me to believe that I was in fact born to run. Oh - and that I want a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (or the like) for Christmas (please Santa).
on July 27, 2017
A non running chef enthusiastically recommended this book when I was last in his restaurant. Not a subject that I would normally want to read a book about although I was a marathoner. But this is one brilliantly written book that deserves to be the national best seller that it has become because people tell each other about it. So well researched. So many compelling stories. So much I've learned. Ever hear of Emil Zatopek? Could be one of the greatest men to ever live. You will have to read the book to find out why. He has my vote.
I do not get excited about many books, but I really liked this one. I was expecting a book about running but this book delivered so much more. This book opened my eyes up to a whole new world of possibilities and did it wrapped around some very interesting stories.

I love to run, but running does not love me. I cannot run on roads without getting horrible shin splints, knee pain, and heel pain. I assumed it was due to my size, 6' 1" and 225 pounds. I assumed I was too big to run, most runners weigh about 150. I was packing about 75 pounds too much muscle to run. I would run 2-3 miles on the road and suffer, but then I noticed if I went off-road and ran on dirt trails I could log 5, 6, 7 miles without pain and feel great! I assumed it was due to the softer surface of the dirt trails. But then again there are many rocks on the trails and after tripping once or twice I realized they might be harder than the paved road surface. So I figured it was all the side to side movement for foot placement that was making my runs more pain free and enjoyable. Then I read this book and realized I run so much better on the trails because I am constantly scanning for foot placement, normally using a shorter stride, landing on my toes way more than my heels, focusing on the scenery, and just having fun and not worrying about times or distance. Were all my running injuries a direct result of my heel-striking running style?

There are hundreds of great reviews for this book, so there is probably not much that I can add. If you are not a runner, you may want to be after reading this book. You will enjoy the story, which is loosely based on running, but offers a great lesson in history and evolution of modern man. If you are a runner you will really enjoy this book. If you are a runner plagued by injuries, you will love this book even more.

ps:If you buy this book you will most likely end up buying new running shoes. Not your average running shoes, but minimalist running shoes. I picked up a pair of Merrell Sonic Glove and really like the way they feel. I have run in them a number of times, and while it does take a little getting used to, the running style is much nicer.
on May 8, 2017
I liked how this turned out to be one of the best running self-help books I've ever come across and, yet, it is a written as compelling story and not at all as a self-help book. The author has a fun and captivating storytelling style and also uses his journalist skills to pop the cap on lots of important data that has long been hidden from most runners without boring you with statistics and numbers. I am already changing some things about my training because of this book and, more than anything, it has changed my overall mindset about running and about my future with it. The tough part has actually been keeping myself from making the changes too soon because I picked up this book just a week or so before running a half marathon two days ago. I was tempted to try some things right away on raceday but held off on that because I know it's important to race the way you've trained.
on December 20, 2015
I've heard about this book since it came out and just assumed it was all about the basis of the barefoot running craze, so I wasn't all that interested. After a friend convinced me it was more than that, I went ahead and bought the book, and am so glad I did!

The book is about the author's journey to meet the Indians in Mexico (who wear nothing but thinly soled sandals when they run ultra-marathon distances) and his help in setting up an ultra-marathon in Mexico with the Indians and a few elite runners.

While the story itself is interesting and engaging, along with much of the history the author provides, the author writes very well. I happened to read "A Walk in the Woods," after this book, and feel Bill Bryson's style of writing is akin to Christopher's. It's interesting, has history mixed in with humor, and overall is just a great book to read whether you're an ultra-marathoner or someone like me, a casual runner who will partake in the occasional 5k or half-marathon (if feeling particularly motivated). Needless to say, at the end of the book, I felt inclined to lace up my Mizunos and run a few miles. So read this book, even if you're not into fitness, or running, or moving your body any more than it takes to raise the remote to change the channel. It's a good story, and good stories are for everyone.
on March 30, 2017
This book is a game changer. All humans should read it. It was recommended to me numerous times and I had trouble finding it. I was not sure if it would be relevant to me and help me run. Not only did it help me run and dispel some stereotypical beliefs I had about running (runners are everything, they aren't) but it also answered some deeper questions about how we survived as a species. Fascinating read.