Simon & Schuster Digital Sales Inc.
Price set by seller.
Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Borrowed Souls: A Soul Charmer Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Mueller is definitely an author to watch. . . . Borrowed Souls is an outstanding entry into this exciting genre, you don't want to miss out."―Scandalicious Book Reviews
"Borrowed Souls combines classic and modern fantasy elements in a fresh take on the genre; readers who like dark worlds and compelling heroines will enjoy this smooth read."―Booklist, reviewed by Nicole Foti
"Mueller explores an intriguing concept in a seedy, visceral setting that pops to life on the page."―Publishers Weekly
"Borrowed Souls is do not miss urban fantasy. A fresh, unique world for readers hungry from something awesome." ―New York Times bestselling author Lauren Dane
"Fun, heartfelt, and wildly creative, Borrowed Souls packs a new brand of punch in a debut urban fantasy with a soulful twist on magic. Chelsea Mueller brings a new and exciting voice to the UF genre." ―Kelly Meding, author of the Dreg City series
"Dark, fun, and edgy, Borrowed Souls sucked me in from the very first page and didn't let go." ―J. C. Daniels, author of the Colbana Files
"A terrific world with an unlikely heroine, quiet and determined, with a pure heart and fiery will to protect her family. The hero, Derek, is big, tough, morally ambiguous and utterly delicious. I think this is the start to a fabulous new series. Definitely recommend!" ―Jeffe Kennedy, author of The Twelve Kingdoms and The Uncharted Realms
"Gritty realism, pitch perfect characters and a heavy dose of red hot sex. What more could you ask for?" ―Shannon Mayer, author of the national bestselling Rylee Adamson series
"Fast paced with tons of great action, snarky dialogue, and just enough steamy romance. If you're a fan of the Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price or the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, you'll love Borrowed Souls!" ―Kate Baxter, author of the Last True Vampire series
"The perfect urban fantasy cocktail. Spectacular world-building and a badass heroine." ―Shawntelle Madison, author of Coveted
"Distinguished itself with its inventive premise and well-built characters . . . I will DEFINITELY be snatching up the next installment. Theories aside, the plot was provocative, and I was happy with the direction that things seem to be taking. . . . You should spend your hard-earned money on BORROWED SOULS this week!"―RabidReads, reviewed by Carmel
From the Author
- File Size : 1347 KB
- Publication Date : May 2, 2017
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print Length : 322 pages
- Publisher : Talos (May 2, 2017)
- Language: : English
- ASIN : B01MRLAT5Z
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Enhanced Typesetting : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Lending : Not Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #450,240 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Today I'm going to try something different than my standard review. I'm going to try out a list-style review format where I give you the reasons why I think you should pick this book up. I'm going to keep my reasoning spoiler free so you can read on without any fear. :)
Five Reasons To Pick Up This Book:
1. Callie Delagado- One of my favorite things about urban fantasy is the variety of heroines you see across the genre. You have badass warriors, powerful magic wielders, and then you have the Callies who are determined average women who do all they can. I had a hard time connecting to Callie at first but I soon came to love her. She's incredibly loyal. Her family is her weakness and she'll do anything to take care of them. I loved that she's imperfect. She knows she is and she doesn't make excuses for her weaknesses. I'm intrigued to see what happens to her as the series progresses.
2. The Family Dynamics- Callie's motto is that you put family first and from the first page you can tell that her family is the most important thing to her. She has spent most of her 22 years of life taking care of her mother and brother who are both manipulative and have used the past to keep Callie their slave. I found the lengths Callie would go to for her family to be intriguing. She's forced into one bad situation after another because of her brother but she never abandons them. I haven't read many books with these kind of family dynamics and I found it kind of awful but refreshing? I have mixed feelings about this obviously.
3. The Worldbuilding- It wouldn't be one of my reviews if I didn't mention worldbuilding, would it? The world in this book is so fascinating! Religion is king and everyone does everything in their power to keep their souls uncompromised. But people still want to do all the fun, sinful stuff. The solution? Borrow a soul so yours stays pristine. Of course things are more complicated than that as we find out. I really loved the world and I can't wait to see it expand in the next books.
4. The Secondary Characters- I'm not going to say much about this point but the secondary characters are awesome in this book. It's a diverse cast and they all have their own motivations and agendas that are slowly revealed throughout the book. Each character isn't purely good or evil and I loved that they were so multi-faceted. I hope we see more of a few of them as the series continues.
5. The Romance- I loved the romance that Mueller wrote. Seriously, the romance is A+ quality romance. It's not slow slow burn but it moves more slowly than some. Derek is an enforcer for the Soul Charmer but under his gruff exterior is a kind and protective sweetheart. I LOVED HIM! I look forward to seeing their relationship grow.
I enjoyed the heck out of Borrowed Souls and can't wait for the next one in the series! Hopefully, I convinced you to go pick this book up. I promise you won't be disappointed if you do.
**ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss
Urban fantasy where borrowing souls is a method of committing a crime or sin without having it impact the afterlife purity. An alternate dark world.
Callie lives a hard life, working long hours to pay bills. She will do anything to help and support her brother. Even when she is thrown into the underworld of crime and magic, she is firm in family requirements.
An enthralling dark desperation character set. I so want to kick her brother’s a$s and tell him to man up. Mother too. Poor Callie but she is so strong to shoulder the burden of family I was impressed by her commitment.
I can see this becoming a series that I will read if it does.
BORROWED SOULS started out really strong! Promising characters were surrounded in a richly developed world with an awesome magic system… That’s all there ever was though. I wanted to love this book, but the great start fell flat as nothing happened throughout the rest of BORROWED SOULS.
I love finding a new and interesting world to explore, because a lot of the time Urban Fantasy got start to feel all the same. So I’m always excited when I find a book that really has a new and unique world. BORROWED SOULS has that. A world of soul magic and how a deeply religious city would react to such magic.
But nothing happens in BORROWED SOULS. Callie has to work for the soul charmer for a couple of weeks to allow her to pay off her brother’s debt to the mob. It’s interesting to see Callie working for the soul charmer, and in the process she uncovers an interesting side plot that I think will become the major plot of the next book. However, there are no twists to the side plot. It’s interesting, but nothing more. Despite the craziness and potential action when working for a soul charmer and the mob, there isn’t any. The only part that could’ve had action was done off screen.
Some of my favorite books have no to little true action, see the JAG in Space series as an example. But those books have strong characters driven stories. I was never able to relate to Callie, and the romance was flat. I was excited when the romance didn’t start out as insta-lust, but I never felt any strong chemistry between Derek and Callie.
I’m willing to cut the first book in a series a little slack, and if BORROWED SOULS was an audiobook I would probably listen to the second book in the Soul Charmer series, in the hopes that it would pick up the pace. As it stands now, I find it unlikely that I’ll pick up the sequel.
Top reviews from other countries
Dark and gritty urban fantasy with the perfect amount of romance.
Can't wait to see what comes next.