Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 216 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 267 reviews
on September 22, 2011
Borrowed Time, Legacy Books, e-book version by C. J. Lyons is a romantic mystery that unfortunately calls for critical evaluation.
The protagonist is a cop who, with her partner, answers a burglary call. The thief kills her partner and fires two shots at her with a weapon of sufficient power to penetrate her protective vest and produce wounds that cause loss of cardiac function for eight minutes. A gifted surgeon miraculously brings her back to life and she finds that she is able to foresee the future. Within a matter of days she is engaging in all manner of derring-do, accompanied by the surgeon who is having erotic thoughts about her the day after operating and realizes he is madly in love with her. While she runs around attempting to find the elusive madman, several other cops are killed. Additional problems are provided by her commanding officer, who is the father of the wife of her deceased partner. He has never liked her and blames her for the man's death. A number of other characters become involved and the story continues to an action-packed showdown with the cop-killer.
The author has written a story that moves along well and one that has many of the elements required to provide a first rate thriller. From a literary point of view, it also is well written and has received fine reviews from credible sources. However, from this reader's point of view, there is a matter of credibility and an underlying problem with the story. The pace seems forced. The athletic activity of severely wounded people in such incredibly short spaces of time is highly improbable and the rapidity of appearance of erotic/love emotions in the attending surgeon is quite incredible. The cavalier manner in which the surgeon blithely accompanies his patient into an FBI briefing also is a little suspect. All of these features I find especially disconcerting because the author is an ER physician familiar with police procedures.
So to conclude, for this reader, Borrowed Time is a fast paced novel that reads more like a Danielle Steel romance than a mystery thriller per se. Reviewed by John H. Manhold, award winning fiction/non-fiction author.
on October 23, 2015
I had less of a problem believing that Kate woke up from a near death experience having gruesome images of future events than I did that her doctor fell in love with her on the operating table.
Josh is a respected surgeon at a teaching hospital. Kate is a cop who was shot in the line of duty. Her partner was killed, they were very close friends and she felt guilt, even though she reacted to the shooter as best she could.
The shooter turned out to be a mad man who decided to hunt Kate down after killing some cops as a warmup.
Kate has begun to see visions of the killings, she and the doctor have questions about her sanity, whether it's a result of anesthetic or what is going on.
Other characters in the book are trite and annoying. Turner, one of her supervisors, is the father in law of her dead partner. He was convinced Kate was having an affair with her partner, couldn't understand their friendship.
Mason Blake seemed to be a contrived, evil nutso.
I liked Anne, the FBI agent, a few of the other cops and Johs's Doctor friend were well written characters, Kate's reporter friend was a good addition and helped move the story along. I liked the love that grew between Josh and Kate, it just seemed rushed.
Not C J's best book, but I enjoyed it "enough".
on March 27, 2015
I wasn't going to write a review, but I woke up at 4 am with my brain screaming at me about the poor characterization and inconsistencies in this book. Characterization is not throwing a few random facts about the characters every few pages. Facts that don't particularly match up with the character's actions. Examples include the behavior of her partner's wife (couldn't bother to go see her in the hospital, even though they're great friends), her reporter friend, ( randomly threw in a prior romantic relationship with him), bad guy was supposedly a meth head, but thought way too clear for that to be true, not too mention her miraculous healing ability. Just can't see having your chest cracked open, your clavicle broken and doing all she did within a week..

The concept of the book appealed to me, it kept my interest. However, if I can save someone from a disturbed night's sleep, it was worth my time writing this review. I've read a couple other of Lyon's books and had the same dissatisfaction with her characterization. Deleted them all, because life's too short and I like my sleep.
on December 13, 2011
CJ Lyons hasn't disappointed me yet... Borrowed Time is another story with all the elements I enjoy: medical drama, lots of action/suspense and romance. The heroine is a cop with the character flaw of being TOO independent and strong-willed. Will she let her guard down and trust the good doctor in time? For his part, the good doctor struggles with his attraction to his patient and whether to set aside his clinical detachment and believe her visions. And, of course, there's a villain we love to hate.

Now, to come at it from a writer's standpoint... I was impressed that so much action could occur while the heroine was in a hospital bed (it was a very fine balance). Without the heroine's visions (and the brazenness of the villain), it would not have worked. I liked the aspect of the visions (I suppose not everyone will); especially interesting was how she learned to harness them. About the time the story started to flag a bit, she was out of the hospital, and it picked up steam.

So our heroine sustained an extreme injury, died on the operating table, had major surgery, and she's out of the hospital in a week... from a reality standpoint, I doubt she could have done half the things she goes on to do (making love among them, ah!). But this is fiction, people! I didn't want to put the book down. A satisfying climax with a twist I didn't see coming (another play on the author's ER doc background) made my afternoon's escape well worth it - and re-energized me to work on my own writing!
on March 8, 2013
I hesitated about writting a review for this book because as the old saying goes if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all but I felt I had to warn people who don't like the use of profanity in books about this book. I bought it about 2 weeks ago when it was a kindle daily deal I am only sorry I didn't start reading it right away so I could have returned it within the 7 days you can still get a refund but since I didn't know about the 7 day policy until today when I deleted it from my kindle i was unable to get a refund. I love romantic suspense novels so I thought the book description I read sounded interesting and when I started reading it this week I have to admit it hooked me right away and it was intresting so I ignored the mild foul language but when I got to the strong foul language I felt I had to stop reading it and delete it from my kindle. I just don't feel like a good mystery needs foul language in it at all. I have never posted a bad review to annything i have bought on Amazon I have always found something good to say about all the products I have bought and like I said if you don't mind bad languge in a book then this book will grab you rigght away because it is interesting but if you don't like bad language in your books then don't buy this book.
on October 28, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It was really horrifying in the beginning of what happened to the police officers. It was more horrifying when the police force didn't know who he was going to target next. I wanted to settle down and read page after page but, how when you are on the edge of your seat. It was a exciting and it got even more intense as you kept reading. I have to say this book really had me to where I couldn't put it down. This book was an electrifier every page you turned it was a shocker!
on July 17, 2017
Have all of her book's. Love them all. This one is great. If you like cop and love story together, head her books.
on December 16, 2012
I loved all three of the previous CJ Lyons thrillers I've read. Borrowed Time was the first one that included a medical setting.

The author does her usual great job of creating suspense, and generally her writing is good. However, i was disappointed by the following in this novel:

1. Policewoman Kate O'Hern's recovery from being shot and declared clinically dead is way to fast to be believed.

2. Dr. Josh Lightener falls in love with Kate unbelievably quickly. Even though he does question his ethics in this situation, I still found it disturbing that he would continue to pursue his romance.

3. The romance wasn't the only thing rushed, the plot moved at breakneck speed in a very unrealistic way. As a result, the character development suffered and the protagonists weren't fully three-dimensional.

4. The motivation of the killer isn't adequately explained and remained confusing to me.

The above issues detracted from what was otherwise a decent plot, which also incorporated paranormal elements.

I still have two more Lyons Thrillers lined up to read, and hope that Borrowed Time was the only less than stellar novel by an otherwise favourite author.
on January 21, 2013
I think the fact I am a guy writing this review has a LOT to do with my 3 star rating and my overall opinion of the book. I watched The Notebook and PS I Love You with my wife and enjoyed them, so I do not think I am completely intolerant to sappy love stories.

Pros: The premise of this book is great. There is a good character relationships and back stories. The author does well at describing the scenes, the environment, and the thoughts of the character. It is well edited and flows evenly. There is suspense, drama, and romance. I would definitely call this book enjoyable, readable, and something I could recommend to the right audience.

Cons: It's just too sappy for me. The main character gets swept off her feet way too easily. When I read the description of the book I thought it was going to be a little more realistic. Unfortunately this was more like Twilight where Bella looks at Edward and she is forever obsessed with him. The girly "I'm in love with you and I don't want to admit it" think just made the book unrealistic and not something I would prefer to read. If you enjoy the romance / perfect guy kind of story, you will enjoy this book.
on May 6, 2013
This is a great book...and a really fast read. It was very hard to put down and I missed my stop on the bus a few times. It grabs you in the beginning and the descriptive language puts you
in the book. You see the fire. Feel the rats claws and smell the sewer as the characters do. I especially enjoy hospital mysteries because I was a Respiratory Therapist and Ms Lyons
mentioned my beloved profession in her novel.
Police officers are being killed in public and the perpetrator seems to be able to do it without leaving any clues. Except one. A very talented surgeon saved one police officer, Kate O'Hearn, after 8 minutes of having no pulse. You'll have to get the book to find out what happens after that, like I did. I went in never having heard of this author or this book. Now I know and will read more. Enjoy!