Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on September 18, 2002
When I retired a couple of years ago, I went on a tool buying binge. I wanted to replace my old Craftsman 12 inch radial arm saw with a sliding miter saw. The issue was safety.
I read the reviews and selected the Bosch 10 inch sliding compound miter saw. I went with 10 inches because I read that the 12 inch saws wiggled to much. My Bosch B3915 will cross cut 12 inches just like the bigger blades. I don't need the increased depth of a 12 inch blade.
This is a good tool. Cross cutting wide boards is simple and safe. You start the motor and lower the blade at appropriate distance and push the blade back through the material. This is much safer than pulling a radial arm blade through the work.
The hold-down clamps are great. I bought an extra one.
The saw is well constructed. I didn't have to make any adjustments out of the box. It's noisy as all tools having universial motors are. Motor brush life will be short for heavy users because of the dynamic braking feature. The blade stops very quickly when you release the trigger. A quieter induction motor would make the tool very heavy and probably usless.
I love this tool. I get precise and repeatable cuts. That's all I want.
It might be nice to have a laser beam illuminating the cut line, but I find that I don't need it. When I make several exact cuts, I use a special fence that I built.
Dust collection almost works but it is marginal. Still, I feel comfortable recommending this tool.
on November 15, 2002
I've been impressed with this saw, and if I were going to buy a new saw today (Fall 2002) would by this same one again at this time. Projects have included 3/4" solid oak molding and melamine closet organizers. Both with the same very good 60 tooth blade that comes with the saw. I did quite a bit of research and knew what I would add to the product to make it better before I even ordered it. See Bosch's 12" compound miter saw for most of the improvements. I will summarize them:
1. Offset motor so right side clamping is possible.
2. +/- 45 deg bevel capability.
3. D handle that can be rotated or is horizontal.
4. Solid throat plate that you cut through as you use the saw to reduce rip-out.
5. Adjustable rear fence to reduce rip-out at the back.
6. Better placement dust port and 3" dust collection port.
I have a shop vac hooked to the dust collection port and I would say it still only catches 40-50% of the saw dust generated. I did have to adjust the miter for accuracy. And the work clamp that comes with the saw works great - a must for any miter cuts on hard wood. I did order the extension supports and have yet to get them...
on July 27, 2004
I received the Bosch 3915 today, and of course had to test it out. First of all, I was impressed with the overall quality of the saw and was very impressed by its weight. It's heavy, and I have yet to find a really easy way to pick it up and move it around. I'm assuming that it's meant to be mounted on a bench or stand, as opposed to being moved around from place to place. I was also impressed with the manual, since it seems to be written in English and for the most part explains things very clearly. Often, manuals that come with tools made in other countries suffer in their translation. I did experience one situation that was not explained well in the manual, however. I tried cutting a dado by using the depth stop feature, which in itself is easy to adjust. The problem I encountered in making a dado is this: When the piece of wood is placed on the table and pushed against the fence, the blade does not make a uniformly deep cut all the way through the piece because of the curvature of the blade. I assume that there are two solutions to this problem. One would be to turn the piece around and make the same cuts from the opposite side. Another wouuld be to put a second piece of wood against the fence and then put the piece in which you want the dado in front of that piece. Either of these methods is rather inconvenient, but maybe I'm missing something. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Previous to using the saw, I checked all of the adjustments as explained in the manual and found that they all seemed to be set perfectly. I also cut several test pieces and checked them for squareness and various angles; they were all perfect. I haven't yet used the saw for crown moulding, so I can't comment on how well it does for that purpose. As far as the operation of the saw itself, I was generally satisfied. Since I have been using a miter saw that has a vertical handle most of my life I had no issue with the handle on this saw. I do realize, however, that some folks prefer a horizontal handle. The one feature I don't like is the placement of the power switch lock-off button that has to be depressed before the power switch can be pushed in. No matter how I contort my hand I can't find a comfortable way to depress both buttons at the same time. On my other miter saw, the lock-off button is perfectly placed so that both buttons can be easily depressed at the same time.

Lastly, I have to agree with other reviewers about the uselessness of the dust bag. I tried turning it it every direction possible, but nothing helped. It doesn't collect much dust regardless if I make chop cuts or sliding cuts. And, yes, I do slide the blade from front to back as explained in the manual. So, overall, I would give the saw 4 1/2 stars, but since that's not possible I gave it the four stars because of the lock-off switch, the dust bag, and the dado situation.
on February 6, 2003
We have a door and window business, and use chop saws for a variety of carpentry jobs - particularly interior and exterior trim. In addition, I am a serious DIY hobbiest around the house having modified/remodeled just about every room during the past six years or so.
As soon as I received my new Bosch B3915 10" Sliding Miter Saw, I set out to begin a long-awaited kitchen project for my wife. What a beautiful tool!! It cuts so quietly and smoothly compared to the others in the shop (Makita and Hitachi - both of which I've had good experience using). The angle detents on the Bosch are dead-on precise and easy to use. I do have a very minor problem with the small dust collector and bag which are useless. I realize that all slide saws do this, but I have to admit I especially appreciate being able to make single cuts on wide jamb stock compared to our other miter saws. Finally, many users complain that the loose adjustment wrench can easily get lost since it does not attach to the saw. But I simply took a center punch and hammer and whapped the slot in the center of the adjustment wrench, thereby opening up a 1/4" hole in the slot. Now you can simply insert the included allen wrench through the hole and attach it securely and effortlessly in the allen wrench grommet holder. Problem totally solved - try it!
Bottom line . . . Don't pass on purchasing this tool! Compared with DeWalt's $... 12" model, the price and performance of the Bosch B3915 saw is really incredible.
on June 25, 2005
There are lots of reviews for this tool. This was my second Bosch purchase (the first was a random orbital sander that I also adore). The level of quality has been superb on both items.

I love the ergonomics of the device. Everything is where you expect it to be, and everything feels incredibly solid as you make your adjustments, lock them down, set your workpiece in, and especially when you are making your cut. There is NO PLAY in the sliding mechanism, nor is there in the miter adjustment or in the bevel adjustment.

It's a very heavy tool, but it needs to be to have the solid feel that it has. I purchased a mobile miter saw base, mounted it to that, and I highly recommend you do the same. (See my review on the mobile base, a Delta 50-155). You do NOT want to be lugging this thing out all the time because of the weight.

The only complaint is the really lousy dust collection. However I see this tool as being most useful in its mobile state, so whenever I use it I set it up outside anyhow. I am not aware of any sliding compound miter saw that has an effective dust collector, but even if there were one, you could not get me to trade mine out for one!

Another pointer - definitely get an extra Bosch clamp or two. They are not very expensive, are very well made, and make your job much easier, especially if you are working on your own.

I understand that there is now a Bosch that bevels both directions. If you decide that it's important to you to be able to bevel both left and right, I'm sure you would be happy with this choice also, but I have never found it to be complicated to work with only the right bevel capability on this saw. It's simple math.

Bottom line, I cannot imagine a higher quality work tool and I know you will be happy with this choice. I would go further and say that my experience with Bosch would lead me to look at Bosch first for any corded power tool. (For cordless, see my reviews on Porter-Cable, which I also highly recommend.)
on May 14, 2003
I've had my 3915 for a few months now, and I cannot fault the saw in any way. Some folks ding the dust collection, but saws create dust, so I just crank up my Craftsman leaf blower and blow the dust away. Nice way to clean up the saw before putting it away too.
I bought my saw for sawing Pergo flooring--to do my whole house. For those who don't know what Pergo is, it's a formica type laminate bonded to something 1/4" masonite with a 1/16" foam backing. Tough stuff. The blade that comes with the saw is super. When I lower the blade to the Pergo laminate, I can see some small sparks, but the blade or motor never hesitates and saws right through.
The 3915 is a great saw and I would buy it again in a heartbeat, especially considering the price of similar saws.
One niggle: I like a horizontal handle--it's just more ergonomic, but you quickly get used to the Bosch handle.
If you buy a Bosch 3915, you'd better be ready to go to work, because the saw is ready for you! I love mine.
Mike
on June 6, 2002
I couldn't decide between a table saw and a miter saw. I think I made the right decision by going with the Bosch B3915. It is a very high quality tool. At first I was concerned when the saw arrived because the packaging was very minimal for such a heavy item. Parts of the saw were poking through the box. Bosch really needs to rethink how they package their tools for shipping. Fortunately, there was no damage. After unpacking the saw I tested the settings. Two of the settings were off, but only by a millimeter or two. It only took me about 30 minutes to correctly adjust the saw. It is just a matter of loosening and adjusting some bolts. However, it can take several tries to get it just right. The documentation was excellent and made the start up very easy. Once, you are familiar with the saw I imagine it would only take a few minutes to make adjustments. Bosch claims the saw comes adjusted, but it was clearly off when it left the factory.
My first project was a breeze. I'm a very amateur woodworker. Nevertheless, I had no trouble with the saw. It cuts wood like butter. The saw is very easy and fast to set when making angle cuts. The included clamp also is fast and efficient. Although the clamp doesn't work well on the right side of the saw because it gets in the way of the motor. The only limitations I ran into with the saw was with cuts greater than a foot. This is where a table saw would be better. The miter saw can chop, but it can't rip. The maximum cut I was able to make was about 12.5 inches in a ¾ inch board. For bigger cuts I tried cutting one side and then flipping the piece over and cutting the other side. However, it is pretty much impossible to get a cut that doesn't require sanding.
Another little complaint is that the blade only tilts to the left. I was cutting some very small delicate molding at 45 degrees and the blade kept splitting the wood because of the way it was placed on the saw. If I could have tilted the blade to the right and put the fatter side of the molding against the fence it would have worked better.
Several reviews complained about the dust collection bag. They are right. This bag is a joke. For every pound of sawdust generated the bag collects about an ounce. I would strongly recommend hooking the saw up to a vacuum system. I purchased a Shop-Vac 906-85-00 2.5" to 1.25" Conversion Unit for $4.99 on Amazon. The 1.25" end fits snuggly in the Bosch saw and the 2.5" end fits the end of the hose on my Shop-Vac. The conversion unit also fits my Bosch router. The saw sprays much less sawdust when you use the vacuum. Although, there is still spillage.
All of my gripes are very minor. This product is clearly a 5 star. It is constructed very well. All the pieces have a very solid feel. The bottom line is that you can make very accurate chop cuts without much effort.
on July 21, 2017
Tough saw and high quality handles big stock well...not easy to adjust for square but doable.
on April 22, 2004
Being a rank beginner to woodworking but not to power tools, I purchased this miter saw as a starting point to my woodworking hobby. I needed it to construct the window seat frame in our new log home. After 10 cuts on 2x4's, the switch shorted out on the saw. I contacted Bosch and found a tool supply store who could do the warranty work - simply replacing the defective switch. After 4 weeks, they finally received the switch from Bosch and I was back in business. They stopped carrying Bosch tools because of the delays in getting parts and orders from Bosch. If I had ordered a Makita or Hitachi saw, I would have been repaired in less than a week. I'm glad I bought the saw but it was a toss-up between the other 2 and $$$ was a factor.
Beware of repairs for your Bosch tools - be prepared for a long wait for parts.
on April 10, 2004
I'm told this saw has been discontinued. I saw Bosch's new 4410 at a woodworking show and it's one really nice saw, with more features than this (notably the handle, which swivels to wherever your hand feels more comfortable) and it's rumored to have better dust collection. It's also well over five hundred bucks. This one cost me $354 and I'm very happy with it, thank you very much. Yes, even with a shop vac hooked up, it throws sawdust. I'll build a hood. Yes, it only bevels one way. I can flip the board. It's got a nice, solid precision feel to it and it makes sharp clean cuts. It was calibrated right out of the box. It's great for cutting long stock, makes perfect 45's, and it'll slice through a 4x4 and a 2x10. That's what I need. Maybe someday I'll upgrade but this saw is going to serve me just fine for years.