Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2012
i have to subtract 1 star because of the manual. i have no background in construction, and it could be argued that i just lack the vocabulary except that there are tons of tiny pictures and not much verbiage at all--the sort that i hate the most because no matter how much the icon lovers insist, an image doesn't mean the same to one person as it does to another. mystery icons on my smartphone drive me batty as well.

but no, the worst problem with the glr225 manual is there are a couple of drawings in the front section with numbered features and buttons and display items which are so important that you literally cannot read the rest of the manual without them as it refers to numbers and not to button labels or features. craziest thing i ever saw, to save 3 or 4 characters they make you go back to the two pages that have the rosetta-stone key and there is no way to fold those essential pages out for viewing along with the text that refers to them. here are two examples to give the flavor:

"For length measurements, push button 5 ... | ... To change the unit of measure, push button 13 ... "

the pdf version of the manual was not on the web site, but a pleasant surprise was when i accidentally hit the 'chat' button on the bosch website late in the evening and a helpful support person popped up and emailed me the pdf manual without any hesitation. full marks there! once i had the pdf version i was able to save the numbered drawing pages off as separate pdf files and then i could pull them up and display them continually as i read the rest of the manual that referred to them.

there's really not much to say about the device itself. as i say, i have no background in construction or the use of such devices, but i was able--despite a lack of descriptive text and having to decode pictures--to perform nearly every function this meter offers to my satisfaction. i'm still a little unclear how the min/max function works or what it is for (i notice it keeps the laser on continually), but i've only been through the manual once, so i'll bet i get it on the 2nd or 3rd try.

i closely compared this device against 3 or 4 other devices at up to twice the price and just when i found a feature on one of the other devices the bosch didn't seem to offer i would discover a way to do it on the glr225. and even i began to see the worth of the simplicity of the display on the bosch. the display is crisp and clear, but the lack of a backlight is a shortcoming, but to be fair, some laser tape units that have backlights don't measure up (sorry!) to the boschs' capabilities.
on December 6, 2011
Just received my GLR225 yesterday and I am very pleased!

Carpenters, architects, installers, maintenance personnel, engineers, and homeowners will benefit from this product. This tool makes quick work of measuring distances, square footage, and volume with easy to use functions.

I made four different measurements of my living room within minutes after opening the package. I checked the readings with a tape measure and found them to be within the advertised 1/16". Very impressive! Press the laser button to turn it on, click to "fire the laser," click once again to capture the measurement. Value displayed about a half second after button press, and the unit clicks to indicate you've taken a reading. I found the rubber-top buttons to be comfortable to operate and appear to be durable. I was concerned about this after reading a previous review, but they are quality and probably more moisture resistant than solid plastic buttons.

The display shows a small diagram of the type of measurement you've selected. Line mode shows a blinking line, area mode shows a rectangle with the required line blinking, volume mode shows a cube with a blinking side as well. Pythagorean mode displays a triangle for taking indirect height measurements; very handy! Each mode clearly tells you the required input so that you get an accurate result. This allowed me to operate the unit immediately before referring to the manual. Using the adjacent wall function I was able to capture wall square footage for a bedroom in about 30 seconds. This will be great for painting calculations. I did look at the memory function section to make sure I understood how this worked. Lanyard was a bit tricky to install but a twisty-tie mini hook made quick work of it.

The unit easily toggles between measurement datums. You can select the bottom, extension pin for corners, top, or rear tapped hole for tripod mounting. Other features include the min/max function for finding diagonals, laser on for pointing, and the ability to change between architectural ( 1' 2-1/2") fractional inch ( 73-1/2") decimal meter ( 4.053 m) and decimal foot (5.638 ft). Integrated level is nice for making sure you don't get a cosine error on linear measurements. Included case is nice for putting on your belt via velcro, but I would prefer a belt clip either on the case or the unit itself. I've noticed laser-enhancing glasses for sale online, and from reviews they seem to aid laser daylight target visibility.

Overall this is an excellent tool for the price. There are more advanced laser measurers for sale but they run hundreds of dollars more. A back-lit LCD would be a nice option on these units, but I like the long battery life claimed by other reviews. If quick, accurate measurements around the home or job-site are what you're looking for, this product will get the job done.
22 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2013
I ordered and received the Bosch GLR225 laser distance measurer last week. It came very promptly, with in a day or two of placing the order. I like the device so far, it is small, compact and easy to use. The instruction manual is a little confusing, but the meter controls are fairly intuitive. I did a few quick tests, it seems very accurate, (more accurate than we need to be most of the time). The 230' range is great, sure beats using the 30' or 100' tape measures that we have been using. Using the meter to get heights, is one of the best features about a laser measurer. A tape measure cannot easily get the height of 20 foot plus ceiling in the middle of a room. It is great not having to guess what size ladder or lift we will need at a new venue. Some small cons; I agree with some of the other reviewers the belt pouch is a little tight. It would also be nice if it had a screen light, the meter is hard to read in low light. (It is not a real problem, I just use my cel phone light to see the controls and measurements in low light areas).
on March 12, 2012
As a commercial real estate agent, I often need to measure large spaces or high ceiling heights. This unit does a good job, and makes me look like a pro in front of clients. Today we were wondering how much height there was above a drop ceiling. I shot a beam to the ceiling (14'-6") then shot a beam through a hole in a ceiling panel (it was pitch black up there so we could not tell how much space there was) and measured around 18' so we knew there was over 3' of space above the drop ceiling. This would have been a huge pain in the ass without the laser since the ceiling panels were 14 feet off the deck!

The guy who said that the buttons are mushy and the elastic case is not easy to get in and out of is correct. However, for me, it does not really matter. Yes it would be nice to have a backlight and loud beep to know it took a measurement, but those are not deal-breakers. In a quiet room, you hear a soft click when the measurement is done.

What would be really nice is to be able to cycle back through the last 10 or 20 or more measurements so you could take a bunch of readings all at once and then write them all down later. For instance, when using the square footage mode, you take one measurement, then the second and it gives you the square footage reading. You can still see the second measurement also, but there is no way to cycle back to the first measurement in case you want to remind yourself what it was. That's a pretty lame oversight and I am deducting a star for that.
on April 21, 2015
I very much like this unit. It's small, precise and simple to use. The interface for more complicated area and triangulated dimensions is not as intuitive as it could be and I keep the little manual with me. Would be great if the step-by-step for multi-shot dimensions was more intuitive. Granted, this is a minority of the use I give it so it's not fresh in my mind. If I have one complaint it's battery life. It seems to chew through them...perhaps even when not on. In fact, I put a fresh set in and they were nearly dead when not even in use. Have spares or store it without batteries installed.
on December 25, 2013
I am a Structural Engineer and just did a job to reinforce a Building's Roof Structure so that the owner could add large HVAC Units on the roof. This tool eliminated the need for a second person when measuring the length and X, Y, Z axis position of the existing structural members; the new steel to reinforce the roof structure was installed without any problems; everything fit and installed where it was planned to be installed; one of the best tools I've ever bought. The cost of this tool is a no brainer for me; saved me time, improved the accuracy of my field measurements, eliminated the need to get and coordinate schedule with another person to take field measurements, AND lowered the cost of my services for my client!

A cost win for my client (less time and no mistakes), an accuracy win for me (everything fit as planned), a schedule and communications win for me (didn't have to do it), a time savings win for me & my client (field measurements took less time), plus an Error & Omissions win for me (I confirmed every measurement; took the measurement, wrote the measurement down, took the measurement again, then confirmed what I wrote down matched the second measurement displayed on the screen).

Yap, this is a keeper! It works flawlessly.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 1, 2015
This thing is a beast, has all the area calculations and is fast and accurate. I use it for quick site surveying before a projection mapping gig. It is compact and rugged enough that my only fear is setting it down and leaving it behind. I might need a retractable tether for this one. Oh and it is accurate. Really accurate. It also allows your to pick the location where it will measure from, the front of the meter, the middle, back, and then the back with an extension rod. All in all it is perfect and I got it at a great price too.
on September 21, 2014
This device is perfect since I do a lot of measuring by myself. I also use it for my job as a civil engineer. With the long distances it can measure, I find it easy to locate objects in the field that aren't on maps and to locate points by measuring known objects on my maps. No longer do I have to stick my tape in sewer manholes, I can measure distances from the rim. I can measure through pipe systems to locate bends and junctions. Easy to measure overhead clearances.

As a DIYer, it makes it easy to measure rooms so that I can draw them up in CAD or other drawing programs. Very handy and compact, I can take it anywhere I think I might want to measure something.

All construction and DIY people should have one.
on January 6, 2013
Lost a fat max that was okay and bought this to replace. Very pleased with my choice. I thought the untypical size would be a down side, it was not. Actually it is a plus. Very comfortable!
Works as advertised. I don't think buttons are mushy. I only use the bubble infrequently, but it is good to have when you want it.
The best thing for me is the little clicking noise when it has the distance so you don't have to look at the display to see when it has got it.

As an adjuster, I usually am using in less than ideal envoronments and it works well for my needs.
on February 10, 2013
Just received my GLR225 yesterday and I am very pleased!