Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Boss Black "No Tools Required" Executive Leather Chair
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Color: Black/Grey|Change

on January 8, 2011
January 8, 2011

I received my chair today, assembled it and tested it out. My immediate comments are the following:

1. Cosmetics: Very nice looking chair. Does look like a chair costing more.

2. The leather Plus is just that, a cross between leather and vinyl, although it does look like Nappa leather, but the feel is not quite the same.

3. Function: This chair DOES Recline. Past reviews said it did not. Those people need to pull out the lever that operates the height (air cylinder). This will unlock and the chair can recline about 25 degrees or so. Adequate for most people and standard for most chairs.

4. Comfort: The chair is very comfortable with adequate padding in the seat and the back. Also has lumbar support which I like. I could sit in this chair for hours. As a professor I work from home quite a bit, so we will see how the back feels.

5. Chair Height: many reviewers mention the chair height as an issue for certain height people. This chair does sit high. I have it on the lowest setting to sit at my desk which is standard height. ON the highest setting I can not use it, it is too high for my legs to fit under the desk. I am 6 feet and the lowest setting is fine for me, but if you are under 5' 6" it may be a problem.

6. Quality- Remains to be seen. But since it does not look cheap, and all plastic parts are made from a hard structural plastic, I guess the durability of the chair will last as long as my last one, 12 years, maybe. I'll update this in a few months.

Bottom Line: Go for it! Good chair for the money. However, if you are shorter than 5' 6" this chair may not be for you.

UPDATE: 6/10/2011

I now have had this chair for about six months. It is as good as it was when I bought it. I use it everyday and it is a pleasure to sit in it. The only thing it does do, however, is squeak! Just a little WD40 solves the problem.

Update: August 7, 2013

Well I have used this chair almost daily and the ribbing around the seat sides has broken through the material and a plastic tube now sticks out poking my legs. Because the material is a synthetic type leather the wear and durability is not up to par on a real leather chair. My last desk chair, made of real leather, lasted me over 10 years. So in 2.5 years the material of this chair is wearing through especially areas of daily contact and rubbing/friction causing the chair's leather to break away in "particles" over time especially on high wear areas. Definitely, over all, the mechanical aspects of the chair are still functional and have had no problem thus far. But material durability is in question. Because of this wear issue of the material I took away 1 star.
Update: February 2016: After 5 years of almost daily use the so called "leather" is peeling from the arm rests. Folks this is not leather. Look at the photo, the material is some type of polymer and it will break down after regular use.
review image
2020 comments| 851 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2009
I'm in heaven. This chair gets the award for the perfect chair for a very bad back. My back is so bad that I'm disabled. Normally I can't sit for any short period of time. I have been able to work on my crafts today without being so crippled up. I was sooo...HAPPY! The chair has amazing lumbar support built in it and hits me in the proper zone of my back. The LeatherPlus is very buttery soft but seems very durable. I raked it across my texured wall without a rip or scratch on it. I'm loving this chair just after using it in these last 2 days.
It arrived packed in large box intact. My husband was able to put it together in less than 6 minutes. It took him twice as long to remove the chair from it's box due to it is packed in the box tightly with a spongy pad to cushion it in shipping.
The chair is ample in size and very padded. It is like sitting on a cloud! The price was right, too. It was under $225.00 including tax with free shipping with Amazon Prime. I didn't have to pay for one of those over-priced chairs to find relief for my back. I would recommend this chair for anyone that suffers from chronic back pain or just wanting to sit on a cloud in comfort.
1111 comments| 309 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2014
I have had this chair for about 3 years. At first it was nice and comfortable, but it really didn't hold to up over time. I have been using this chair daily in my home office, so I may be putting it through more rigorous usage than most people would. There is nothing unusual about my usage though. The chair is just used for sitting in. There are three notable problems I have encountered:

1. The chair occasionally gets "stuck" and loses its range of movement. For example, it will stop reclining back, and then I'll have to flip it over messing with the areas that attach it until it works again. This didn't start until about 2 years into owning the chair, and might happen once every few weeks now.

2. The chair gets very loud and squeaky. Any turning, reclining, or even shaking can be very loud. Spraying some wd-40 type lubricant helps for a little while, but 2 or 3 weeks later it is squeaking loudly again.

3. The most severe problem is that about a year ago the chair started shedding. The outer surface just started peeling all over leaving a giant mess of black flakes on the floor around it. The shedding continues, and the chair looks worse and worse, as does the floor around it. I've attached a photo to show what the chair looks like after being used for 3 years. The main area that is sat upon is almost completely peeled and looks awful. The arm rests also have peeled a great deal.

If you need a chair for occasional use, this may hold up fine. On the other hand, if you plan on using this daily in a home office, look elsewhere. For $160 you should have little trouble finding a chair that won't fall apart after a couple years.
review image
22 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
All of the "leather" covering has been peeling away.. and been found all around my house. It scrapes away when sitting on it.. I've only had it for 3 years.

Chair looks terrible now, having to throw it out.. Just look at the photo.

There goes $165? I'd really like a refund Amazon / Boss.
on February 17, 2010
This chair arrived well-packaged and protected with a lot of foam insulation around the wheels and metal components. Assembly was quick and simple, as I didn't even need the instructions. All you have to do is put the air lift on the base and place the seat on the air lift, then it's ready to go. The chair has great lumbar support and reaches all the way up to my head, allowing me to rest entirely against it. It's also fairly comfortable, having a few inches of padding, while not being too compliant so as to lack support, making for a pretty good balance that I particularly like. The air lift lever (for raising/lowering the height of the chair) is designed so that when pushed in the chair cannot recline, but if you pull it out slightly, it releases a mechanical lock and allows the chair to recline back about 20-30 degrees.

I got it at a significantly reduced price on Amazon recently and think that it's definitely one of the best designed chairs for the price I got it at (~$150 with free shipping!). I'd recommend this chair personally (this coming from an engineer).
33 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2012
I've had this chair just under a year, and it's already starting to come apart. The seams on the seat and arm covers have a number of small tears. The plastic on one of the arms has a big crack just below a screw hole, the gray paint on the arms has started to flake.

I have used it a lot, but I'm not a big guy (~180 pounds). The chair still works, but I'd be surprised if I don't have to replace it within the next year. My last office chair lasted about 7 years, and I used it more heavily than I'm using this one.

I'm about 6'1", and also find that my back gets a little sore when I sit in this chair too long. It's actually reasonably comfortable, I just get sore. Really notice this when I go to bed.

Update: 6 months later, and a piece broke off, so now the chair wobbles on its base as well.

Update 2: 6-8 months later, chair still works, but the "LeatherPlus" coating is peeling away in tiny pieces that are flaking all over the room, revealing another layer. "LeatherMinus", maybe? A couple months later, I finally ended up replacing the chair and junking the old one. And vacuuming thoroughly.
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2010
January 15, 2016 EDIT

I originally gave this 5 stars and IF it had remained the same today as on day one, I would not be wasting your time now. The fabric, while not real leather, is still almost perfect. My problem is probably of my own doings. The center post will not keep the seat where I adjust it to. I raise the lever and raise the seat for my needs and in a few minutes it goes back down to the bottom. It has been sitting in the garage for several years now and still works as it did when I originally received it in 2010. I use it to wait for the postman or take a break, but its unwillingness to adjust vertically, makes it unacceptable for me. I bought another Boss chair about 2 or 3 years ago and it does not slip, but the screws that hold the seat in place are almost gone and it is a safety hazard waiting to happen.

Before I consider the chair itself please permit a few words about customer service and packing.
Packing: The chair arrived in a heavy duty box that had several gorillas handling it along the way. In spite of their rough handling as evidenced by the interior cardboard damages the chair was fully protected by its wrapping and therefore no issues. How nice it is to open a box and find a fully perfect product.
Customer Service: We often encounter a customer service rep who has had a bad day or just does not care or any of the negative phrases that make us some reps. This is absolutely NOT the case with the folks at BOSS. After opening the box and putting it together (a feat accomplished by anyone who can lift a sack of potatoes) I could not get the gas cylinder to raise the seat level. One of us is 5'6" and the other is 6'3" and the seat is either too high or too low unless the gas cylinder works. It did not. It was too late to call and it was Thanksgiving eve. Even if anyone had been home I would have waited until Frantic Friday to call. So I emailed my concern and expected no reply until today or maybe tomorrow. On Friday, the 26th, the height adjustment absence was just too much to endure. A call was placed to BOSS and a woman told me exactly what to do and I did. Closed case. Wow! I did suggest that the instructions would benefit from her advice in future iterations. Regardless, my problem was settled in seconds and when I finally got to reviewing my email I saw a response from BOSS saying the same thing. Let's all give a big shout to BOSS for fantastic service.
The Chair itself: I was not prepared for the comfort and wow appeal of this chair. After spending many hours in the old desk chair and literally wearing it out in one of the weak points of the mechanism I had to buy a new one and chose the perfect chair for our use. The soft arm rests make getting up and down easier than the old one with hard rests. The seat is firm enough to hold a chuncky old man and a much lighter youngun spouse. The lumbar support fits the small of the back perfectly and adds sufficient support to make long sits easier. The seat goes up and down with ease and makes designing the perfect height easy to do. The testing of duration will take place over what will, with hope, take years in the same manner as the old one. It would delight me to revisit this chair 10 years from now explaining that the seat finally gave way or the mechanism just gave out from all the weight or whatever. By then chairs will be an anachronism of the first order because it's been rumored that we will be sitting on air. Right! I am so glad we bought this chair and would do it again in a nanosecond. Thanks BOSS!
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
I'm loving it so far and I'm a gamer so I use it for long hours until late in the hours of the night. I highly recommend it. It was so easy to setup that it made me smile. the only thing you have to do to install is set the back of the chair and clip it, then install stand wheels and BOOM done.
review image review image review image
on November 21, 2012
Purchased this chair once before on July 26, 2012. Was happy with the chair and the material that was used. This time the material was totally different. Very Cheap, so called Leather Plus..................... Very Cheap. In the description it does say Leather Plus but in the details as this is how it is described, below. I copied and pasted the information. It is not Leather............. Don't be fooled and it feels and looks very cheap. This material is totally different from the purchase in the past. If it were the same as the first chair I bought, I would have been happy. It was discribe to be the exact same and was not............ I don't write many reviews and I shop a lot with Amazon and this time I am a very unhappy shopper. Beware of this cheap chair...........................................

Brand NameBOSS
Model numberB8601
ColorBlack/Grey
Material Type Leather
Number of Items1
SizeHigh-Back
Manufacturer Part NumberB8601
on March 1, 2010
The chair leans back which is nice. Doesn't seem to have too much lean which i don't really like but it's enough to put my feet up on my sub woofer. The leather is very nice quality and it has a built-in lumbar support which feels nice. My only issue with the chair was the first chair i sat in it and a bolt sheered off. But i told amazon and they had my new chair their the next day (same as what i paid for to ship it originally) and they had a ups man there the next day to pick up the broken chair. After that the chair has been flawless and very comfortable. The leather feels less cheap then the leather on my old chair.
66 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse