Top critical review
851 people found this helpful
Durability will not last. Is not real Leather!
on January 8, 2011
January 8, 2011
I received my chair today, assembled it and tested it out. My immediate comments are the following:
1. Cosmetics: Very nice looking chair. Does look like a chair costing more.
2. The leather Plus is just that, a cross between leather and vinyl, although it does look like Nappa leather, but the feel is not quite the same.
3. Function: This chair DOES Recline. Past reviews said it did not. Those people need to pull out the lever that operates the height (air cylinder). This will unlock and the chair can recline about 25 degrees or so. Adequate for most people and standard for most chairs.
4. Comfort: The chair is very comfortable with adequate padding in the seat and the back. Also has lumbar support which I like. I could sit in this chair for hours. As a professor I work from home quite a bit, so we will see how the back feels.
5. Chair Height: many reviewers mention the chair height as an issue for certain height people. This chair does sit high. I have it on the lowest setting to sit at my desk which is standard height. ON the highest setting I can not use it, it is too high for my legs to fit under the desk. I am 6 feet and the lowest setting is fine for me, but if you are under 5' 6" it may be a problem.
6. Quality- Remains to be seen. But since it does not look cheap, and all plastic parts are made from a hard structural plastic, I guess the durability of the chair will last as long as my last one, 12 years, maybe. I'll update this in a few months.
Bottom Line: Go for it! Good chair for the money. However, if you are shorter than 5' 6" this chair may not be for you.
I now have had this chair for about six months. It is as good as it was when I bought it. I use it everyday and it is a pleasure to sit in it. The only thing it does do, however, is squeak! Just a little WD40 solves the problem.
Update: August 7, 2013
Well I have used this chair almost daily and the ribbing around the seat sides has broken through the material and a plastic tube now sticks out poking my legs. Because the material is a synthetic type leather the wear and durability is not up to par on a real leather chair. My last desk chair, made of real leather, lasted me over 10 years. So in 2.5 years the material of this chair is wearing through especially areas of daily contact and rubbing/friction causing the chair's leather to break away in "particles" over time especially on high wear areas. Definitely, over all, the mechanical aspects of the chair are still functional and have had no problem thus far. But material durability is in question. Because of this wear issue of the material I took away 1 star.
Update: February 2016: After 5 years of almost daily use the so called "leather" is peeling from the arm rests. Folks this is not leather. Look at the photo, the material is some type of polymer and it will break down after regular use.