Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,539 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,630 reviews
on June 30, 2017
This book is funny, self-deprecating, and relatable! Tina Fey is a real person, not a Hollywood creation, and she gives me hope for the world of middle-aged women. Finally someone who doesn't care about Botox (unless maybe she does), who loves her family, and who has no interest in selling me a lifestyle! I love Tina.
on March 3, 2017
Tina Fey is that friend everyone wishes they had. Funny and down-to-Earth yet one of the most successful women in comedy. If your a thirty-something working woman who also often has toddler vomit decorating your outfit this book will give you the warm-and-fuzzies. For the rest of you, well - you've probably got more exciting things to do than read this book.
on April 7, 2017
Tina Fey is everywoman. She has the same problems, conflicts, joys; only she writes better the rest of us. F***ing great.
on November 1, 2014
"You're nobody until somebody calls you Bossy." This wonderful memoir has jokes, anecdotes and unsolicited life advice from the hilarious Tina Fey.

What I liked:
The whole book! My short review is just buy/borrow it, because it's fantastic and funny and you should read it! When I posted a picture of this book on my Instagram, so many people told me how much they enjoyed the book, and many recommended that I listen to the audiobook, as Fey narrates. I've tried a few audiobooks over the years and I really can't focus on information that way. I may actually give it a try with Bossypants though, because Fey is so witty and I believe hearing her jokes come from her would enhance them, especially now that I'm familiar with the material.

Fey gives readers a wonderful mix of comic insight into life and honest thoughts on a variety of topics such as life as woman, mother and comic, as well as fashion and beauty tips! Every page contained something that made me smile or chuckle and I can't remember the last time I laughed so many times while reading a book. (It was probably last December, when I read Mindy Kaling's book - I need to read more humor!)

What I didn't like:
Nothing! Wait, you know what? This book wasn't long enough! I reached the end all too soon and wanted more of Fey's tips and quips. Hopefully she puts out another book in the future.

~

If you like humorous memoirs, this book is for you. If you don't like comedic books you probably have no soul you might still find some of her more insightful moments useful in your own life.
on August 4, 2015
Not funny, what?! Did not even chuckle?! Someone's got a serious case of osteoporosis of the funny bone. I'm serious. This book is hilarious. I read it on the beach in two sittings and at least once per page I burst out laughing. Seeing published heretofore women-only humor was gratifying beyond words. Irreverent and smart, Fey gifted us with a light hearted look at some serious woman-centered content. Every chapter, especially the SNL to 30-Rock bits, offers enlightenment of one kind or another. It's a soft core look behind the scenes of the entertainment biz (big nod of agreement re: her contention that once funny women are judged "crazy" with age; and, I'm saddened but not surprised that a show would be judged based solely on the actors' sex appeal). The motherhood bits (breastfeeding, working mother's guilt) felt honest and deeply resonated with this mom of three. And there's so much more. I could go on like a fawning sycophant. Suffice it to say, thanks for a fabulous read, Tina Fey.
on January 28, 2012
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I don't really understand why the book is called Bossypants. There are a few bossy references, but her stories don't make her sound bossy to me and since it's about her, I kind of thought they would. In any case, I love Tina and I really enjoyed her book. I was surprised, inspired, amused, and even sometimes touched by it. There is a chapter in the book in which she fires back at random web comments about her that the writers probably never considered (or cared) that she might see. They probably don't even know they were quoted in her book. I had mixed emotions here, because I was like "Go Girl - get 'em" and then a part of me felt a little sad for her because I realize some part of her is hurt by the judgement of these strangers. If you like Tina and you like autobiographies, it's a good one to pick up, especially for strong women.
VINE VOICEon July 7, 2013
I always liked Tina Fey's humor on "Saturday Night Live" - she was definitely one of the best ever to sit at the anchor's desk. I also liked her nerdy sexy look, which Fey would have us understand did not develop overnight and relies on a lot of help to achieve. The Fey you get in "Bossypants" is eerily similar to "30 Rock's" Liz Lemon. She's a bit neurotic but also rather opinionated, and she doesn't care what you think about her unless you don't like her, in which case she's sorry.

"Bossypants" is loosely an autobiography, in the vein of David Sedaris. In other words, it skips around in time and cherry-picks interesting stories from Fey's life. I actually read the newest Sedaris book at the same time as "Bossypants," and both authors share the same observational type humor that often relies on cutting/hilarious descriptions of people and their foibles. For example, Fey's stories about working at a Chicago-area YMCA often revolved around her deskmate, Donna, whom she describes as "an enigma wrapped in bacon wrapped in a crescent roll."

If you've seen Fey's comedy, then you know what to expect. "Bossypants" is very funny but also fairly poignant at times, especially when Fey discusses her daughter. She also clearly is proud to be a female who succeeded in the male-dominated comedy culture. Some readers may get a bit tired of that message, but Fey never takes herself too seriously -- as soon as she builds herself up as a pioneer of female comedy, she'll depict herself as foolish or petty. All for a good laugh.

Note: This review is for the Kindle version. The transfer to e-book seems to have been done carefully, and I did not see any obvious errors that would affect the reading of "Bossypants" on Kindle.
on April 22, 2017
This is the second time I have listened to this book and rewound numerous parts so that I can steal her hilarious descriptions and add them into my own conversations. She is a comedic genius, hands down! Love me some Tina Fey!!
on August 12, 2015
I read this book in two days. I never read books in two days. I love her sense of humor and her style. It's refreshing to read a book from a woman's perspective, especially from someone who worked hard from a middle class upbringing and fought her way to success. Her perspective on life demands a lot of respect and should be emulated. It is no doubt a big reason why she has risen to the top. Anyone in her place could have retrieved into a shell and been a victim. Even though she was the victim of something awful in early life, she didn't make herself a victim in her mind. I'm not saying it's wrong when one does after so much. I'm saying it's extraordinary when one is able to overcome that and not allow it to be an obstacle as to why one can't achieve this or that. She's the type of person who says, "that's life," and keeps on moving. Tina is unstoppable. I love Tina Fey!
on July 5, 2016
So I'm not exactly objective. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's funny, sweet, serious, straightforward, keeps most of her private life out of the spotlight, and discusses her career and different things she's learned and done throughout her life. I'll be rereading it because it's the perfect summer book and more. The pacing is perfect, the voice is clear, and the writing is flawless. She goes over serious topics (working women, competing moms, female criticism) in a lighthearted way, reminiscent to the writing I've seen in Unbreakable Kimmy. I loved it and enjoyed reading it, with laugh out loud moments that made people around me frown. But who cares? I loved this book.