- File Size: 1602 KB
- Print Length: 26 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: September 27, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00O09F3H2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #616,223 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Bottled Lightning: A Short Story Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
The first thing I want to address is the writing of Philip Harris. He has the short story field down pat. I read this on a mini iPad and the story was a bit over thirty pages long. In that short space, I knew who, what, when, where, and how those elements fit together, as well as had a picture in my mind of the entire surrounding settings. (There were two settings at two different times). The descriptions of all these elements, as well as the actions by the people, were related seamlessly and unobtrusively as the story unfolded. When an author can build a complete picture in my mind without my being consciously aware of it, I am impressed. I don't want to read long, dry, or convoluted pages of description; I want to read what people are saying or doing. I got the whole experience in this short story as it rolled seamlessly along. Associated with this aspect of writing is how well conversations are handled. Harris nailed that, too. Written in the third person, there isn't a lot of conversation, but it fit the characters when it was used.
My other point concerns the plot/story. There is a definite plot in the story; it was straightforward and clear. I like mysteries. Something happens, the puzzles have to be solved, and the person responsible is unmasked. In Science Fiction, something happens, the puzzles are subject to the attempt of solving, but there isn't any answer at the end. That drives me nuts! I'm not imaginative. I want a start, middle, and an end. Science Fiction does not lend itself to what I want. That's why I travel there infrequently. Now that you know my frustration with this genre, I will try to address the plot. It definitely has a beginning, the middle deals with the result of the beginning, and the end, I think, is left up to me. What!? That's the best I can describe the plot; I refuse to write spoilers. It's a situation that forces the reader to make assumptions and decide how it might be resolved. The real conundrum comes with the moral issues associated with the assumptions and attitudes of the characters and reader's. Not a neat and tidy wrap up is it? I have never found neat and tidy in a well written Science Fiction short story. They haunt me for weeks, sometimes longer. If that is one of the goals of SF, it worked with me.
If you like SF, this is a great example of a well done short story. If it is not your main interest, try it anyway. I did and lived through it. Yes, I will be pondering it for some time, but I need that push every now and then. It was well done and I enjoyed reading it. Thinking about it isn't as enjoyable, but at least I will be thinking!
I want to read more of his stories.
Most recent customer reviews
This is really a short story, so I’m not going to get into the nuts and bolts, as it would give too much away, but a couple of scientists come...Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 45 minutes (22-32 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 45 minutes (22-32 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration