Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on September 21, 2013
It's been 2 years and 4 months since Obie dropped his last album, and he returns here with his 4th solo (that I know of, not counting any mixtapes that he may have put out), and yet again he is on point. I'd say this one is a solid 4.5 star effort, and as usual his flow, delivery, and lyrics as sharp and on point. Here is where I'd rate this alongside his 3 other, very good solo's that he's put out since he came in the rap scene almost 10 years ago now:

(9/03) -- "Cheers" -- 4.5/5 stars
(8/06) -- "Second Rounds on Me" -- 4 stars
(12/09) -- "Special Reserve" -- 5/4.5 stars

This one has 16 songs; of those you get 3 near classics, 2 that are ok/average, and the remaining 11 are good solid songs, with a few being real good. Guests are minimal like his other previous albums, appearing on 4 songs; rapping on 2 and doing the hook on 2 others. Production is handled by a variety of people, and is very nicely done as well. Nospeakerz does 5 songs, K & Square do 3 songs, Dr. Dre, Geno XO, Eminem & Luis Resto, Coree Benton, Statik Selektah, Phonix Beats, Lucas Rezza, Witt all do 1 song. A must have album from a very talented rapper. Here is my breakdown of the songs:

#1 - 8 (rather surprisingly simple beat by Dr. Dre)
#2 - 7.5 (a sub-par beat by Eminem)
#3 - 8.5 (nice beat)
#4 - 8 (dirtier song)
#5 - 9.5 (f/ Eminem --- great beat)
#6 - 9 (nice beat)
#7 - 9.5 (f/ Adrian Rezza --- tight beat)
#8 - 8.5 (Another dirtier song)
#9 - 8
#10 - 7.5 (f/ Drey Skonie --- a radio-friendly sounding song)
#11 - 8
#12 - 8.5 (good beat)
#13 - 9 (nice beat)
#14 - 9.5 (tight beat --- about his career post-Interscope/Shady records)
#15 - 8.5 (f/ MC Breed (R.I.P.)
#16 - 8.5 (nice beat)

Obie Trice -- b. 11/14/77 -- Detroit, MI
Check all my reviews
on April 6, 2012
So I downloaded the new Obie Trice album this week and, as per usual, it did not disappoint. Although he has not released any new albums in six years (unless you want to count Special Reserve," which I don't) Trice still sounds sharp, delivering laid back flows and old-school storytelling that I find to be sorely lacking in the current hip hop scene. The production is top notch, with Dr. Dre contributing a beat, and Eminem delivering a spectacular verse on "Richard." The album definitely grows on you the more you listen to it. If you're already a fan of Obie Trice then you should know what to expect from him by now; and if you are new to Obie Trice then I recommend you first purchase/download "Cheers," to entice you to look further.
on June 5, 2013
Ever since D12 I have been enjoying Obie's music. I spent my teenage years in Detroit and Obie reminds me of what it was like living in the D. Obie tells us the story of his life in his music. From his youth to his rap career are all detailed in song after song. The production is solid, even when not great. The magic is all in his lyrics and delivery.
on December 22, 2014
One of the illest lyricists out of Detroit. His album post Shady Records and it holds up to the standards of Shady. Note his split was amicable and Dr. Dre & Eminem both lend production to the album and Eminem lends vocals on it too.
on December 20, 2013
I love Obie Trice... I think he is one of the most underrated musicians out there... but I didn't care for this particular album and wouldn't recommend it to someone who never heard Obie before. Get the first two instead. Both of them are brilliant.
on May 20, 2012
Good album. Consistennt with the Obie's other releases. Hip Hop the way I remember it. Detroit is being represented right.
on March 7, 2013
I like Obie Trice, once again, good rap music in this album as well :)
Would like to hear from you sooner
on March 10, 2015
His earlier work is better.
on July 25, 2013
Obie proves that he is just as good without shady records on this album..... Easily the best rapper from Detroit in my opinion
on February 4, 2015