Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bounty Hunter LSTAR Land Star Metal Detector
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 31, 2001
I bought this for my husband for Christmas and I thought it would be a big waste. To date my husband has found several pieces of jewelry, a ton of coins and a silver dollar coin that dated 1860 (that we sold for $220). Its easy to use and we now fight to see who will use it next. A great addition to our family.
on August 8, 2005
I've owned the Bounty Hunter Land Star for about 2 years now and it is a great, economically priced detector. Shop around because you can get it for less then one hundred dollars if you know where to look... cough... ebay... cough... ebay.

I've found tons of silver coins with this detector. It's target processor is extremely reliable for coins. If you get a solid repeatable coin tone then you've got a 95% chance of digging up a coin. I've also found Civil War buttons, old toys, and multiple rings at the beach. Yesterday I found 2 Mercury Head dimes (1918 and 1941) in a local park. Believe me when I tell you that treasure is in the ground everywhere.

Contrary to another review that you may see below, the All-Metal mode works exactly as it should. Not only does it work as it should, but it is the most useful and descriptive mode on this machine. Mr. David Carlson obviously doesn't know how to operate his metal detector. The symptoms that he describes are the result of someone not reading the manual. He doesn't understand the relationship between All-Metal mode and Ground Balance. It just takes a moment to read and understand.

Bottom line: Great metal detector to get you into the hobby cheaply so that you can begin finding some great stuff. Like I said, I've been using mine for 2 years and I don't feel the need to upgrade.
on July 18, 2006
My husband and I had been talking about getting a detector on and off for over a year. The more we looked into it, the more confused we were. We didn't know what features we needed or what to look for. We didn't want to spend too much but were afraid to go too low and end up with one that didn't work well. We decided on this one based on other reviews and price.

It came with a video which helped us understand about the model and how they work in general. Just practicing around the yard he found two colonial coins. We've only taken it on one camping trip and found a silver dime, some quarters, pennies, and a silver Mexican Peso in New Hampshire about 4 inches deep. My husband is getting the hang of it. The more items you find, the more you understand it. He says that when it says it's junk, turns out it is junk and it's been right on with quarters and smaller coins.

We are very happy with the unit and feel we made the right choice. I would have given it one more star but my husband hasn't found any jewelry yet!
on April 27, 2011
I have owned several high end metal detectors, (1)Fisher Cz series and a Garrett GT series, and this metal detector has more settings (or equal to) and dials in closer than the others i paid over 7 or 800 bucks for. BUT if i was gonna go with the "Bounty Hunter" brand i would go as high end as i could with their units, due to the fact that they are either high end or low end, not really a mid ground for them. This landstar has been a great unit and I couldnt be happier. With that being said you need to understand how metal detectors work and what ground balancing is and how the sensitivity works and how to use the discrimination to use it at its potential, nearly everytime it indicates that their is something beneath the soil there usually is... I would definatly suggest this for someone wanting a detector that will be good for entry level to advanced. Another suggestion i would make is read the manual several times (unlike myself) so when you take it out for the first time you dont get discouraged. Last thing i would suggest is read up on metal detecting and soil mineralization, and ground balancing... All in all a great unit, your spending a 3rd usually of what it would take to buy a unit with these features. I have heard rumors of it being discontinued due to being a little to technical for the average "big box store" buyer... Manufactur is wishy washy about giving me an answer one way or the other on that... I ordered extra parts for mine just in case, thats how much i thought of this detector, with extras i am still WAY under what it would have cost for a higher end unit. And money wasnt even an issue in my purchase, i stumbled on this and bought it on impulse since the price was so low with the features it indicated it had, figured oh well if it doesnt work out i will take it back, now it goes in the truck when i do..
on June 7, 2007
I bought this as a birthday present for my boyfriend. After researching several different metal detectors both here and elsewhere, I decided that I was going to have to spend at least $250 to get anything decent. While there were several other models listed at the time when I purchased this, the Bounty Hunter Land Star seemed to have a respectable array of functions, such as the ability to filter out "useless" items such as soda can tab tops and bottle caps, a sensitivity adjuster to control the amount of detection, an LED panel to visually show what range an item was in (i.e. gold, silver, pennies, nickels, quarters, etc.), and most importanly: it is very light (less than five pounds) which is very important for something that you will be holding for [hopefully] an hour or more. Overall, I think that it was a great value and I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for a decent metal detector. Now all we have to do is find a buried treasure so that we can both retire!
on January 18, 2007
I purchased this as a Christmas present for my husband. It arrived in a timely manner (Just in time for Christmas), and in great shape. He really never asks for much, but he wanted this. We went to the Smokies for Christmas and he got to try it out searching for Gold!

Needless to say he loves it! I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for some fun!
on October 24, 2014
This Bounty hunter Landstar is very good at finding metals of all types. It has an adjustable sensitivity level and it's many features are quite impressive. It's light, looks great, and is just as good as many of the more expensive models on the market. Whether you are a beginner or someone who has owned other metal detectors, this model will not disappoint you. Bounty hunter got it right and the price is excellent for what you are getting.
on April 1, 2009
bought detector to find ring worth $$$$ found it in 10 minutes. Already paid for itself !!! Worked great, got here fast. Great price!! Thanks
on July 15, 2016
As desbribed
on May 3, 2005
This metal detector is nice, notwithstanding, it performs poorly when in all metal mode. Initially all metal mode works fine, however, after half an hour of use the batteries begin to wear out and the battery low indicator does not come on. When all metal mode is used after half an hour of the detector's use, it just squeals uncontrollably. It's supposed to go off over metal and pin point the source of your initial find with great accuracy. Again, after thirty minutes of use of the detector, it will no longer go off over the source, it will just go off constantly, no mater where you hold it. I could hold it into the air and it still squeals. I made every adjustment I could and it just continues to make noise. This mode is worthless unless your using it with two fresh 9 volt batteries every half an hour. Finally, if you're hunting say meteorites for four hours, you can expect to spend over $56.00 on batteries for that afternoon.