Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bouquet Toss (Love of My Life Series Book 1)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on September 6, 2012
This story is told from Daphne's point of view. Daphne is an independent young woman, surrounded by a good network of friends that have started their professional careers and taking the next step in their lives. Even though Daphne hasn't found the one, she isn't desperate to do so as she is still hunted by the shadow of her first love, Mayson.
Just as life continues a chance encounter promises to answer Daphne's ever so present question: What if? Having little to lose, Daphne decides to take a leap of faith, which turns out for the best, the love of her life is back and this time he's determined to do things right. Daphne's life is finally moving forward in the right direction...

Then it doesn't and my soul was crushed as Daphne finds out that the dream can't never be more than just that.

Melissa Brown's debut novel is captivating, heart crushing and just plain REAL. Don't let the cover fool you to believe this is a Cinderella story. Pain, pain and anguish, pain and uncertainty is more like it. I've so rarely seen a debutante author take the risk that Mrs. Brown took with her novel that I was completely intrigued, and while the turn of events made me want to throw my book reader across the room, I hung onto the little hope I had left and was surprisingly rewarded.

This book has a little bit for all tastes, even if you don't love the story or the characters as much as I did, you will not regret reading it.
on September 5, 2012
Melissa Brown's debut novel Bouquet Toss is a wonderfully entertaining and captivating story-I read it in just over a 24 hour period. The novel chronicles a young woman, Daphne, as she struggles through the dating world in her young twenties, trying to forget about "the one that got away" and finally find the man of her dreams. However, the tale is not that simple, as that "one" surprisingly returns into her life. Will he become her happy ever after? I thoroughly enjoyed following Daphne through her ups and downs, and couldn't wait to see what would become of this young woman as she grows and learns through life and love. Brown writes with humor and compassion, and Bouquet Toss is filled with twists and turns and lots of laughs. A definite must read!
on October 4, 2012
The premise of this story is sort of a "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" mixed in with a "one that got away" story. Of course she is not a bridesmaid in every wedding she attends and catches the bouquet, but it's similar enough.

Seemingly it's her "one that got away" college boyfriend who broke her heart by breaking up with her. In five years, she hadn't really let herself be open enough to meet someone new, comparing everyone to Mayson. Her best friend Elise and her cousin and friend Morgan both think it's time for her to move and constantly try to set her up or get her out there with online dating.

Just as she's starting to move on and go on some dates (although not stellar dates), Mayson reappears in her life and she's back to square one. But is Mayson still the same guy he's always been, the guy that broke her heart (and according to her friends probably will again) or was it meant to be this time?

I really liked the idea of this story. I thought the dates she was set up on were great, and realistic. I had a strange desire to watch the muppets when I was done with this book.

I thought at times the story was, sometimes serious...but what I had trouble with was connecting to the characters. I liked Daphne, Elise and Morgan. I even liked Morgan's boyfriend Matt and their friend Evan (I wondered if Evan was the "one" for a while), but I didn't feel as connected to them as I have some other characters in some of my favorite books.

I never really truly understand the draw to Mayson because I just didn't feel connected to him.

I liked this story, I just didn't fall head over heels for it. I had to give it three stars because compared to my four and five star books, I just didn't think it was as good. I'm still glad I read it.

I would give her five stars for the cover though. I absolutely love it.
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2012
I nearly tossed this before I'd read the first third of it. It starts slow and picks up speed a bit in the last third of the book. It might have done better with some hefty editing--like a third of the book. The 'heroine' isn't. She is full of 'issues' and has been 'victimized' by a cad of a boyfriend. How does she react? By being a cad of a girlfriend. Even when the love of her life is definitively out of the picture, she won't give him up. And her relationship with his mother is just creepy. She is too stupid to care for. She comes off as a watering pot everyone has to take care of.

This is a first offering. I do understand that. But to make us care about characters, it could use more descriptions of the characters. The main character is a caricature of a needy female. Her supporting characters are barely sketched out, as they come to her rescue time and time and time and time again. Knowing what it takes to bring a book to life, I admire this writer's effort. But I do hope she can do better, and will do better in future.
on October 6, 2012
I don't usually write reviews, but I was so disappointed with this book that I felt I had to warn other readers. What's up with al the good reviews? 5 stars?! Really?! And I listened to you?! I'm also disappointed in some reviewers whose opinions I usually check out when choosing a new read (I was a follower).
Let me get back to the book. I didn't pull me in, the angst felt somehow forced here and there, the dialogue was stilted, the characters seemed made of plastic and not flesh (with the exception of the 2 best friends). It got boring for me after the dismissal of a certain character -and that was the ONLY plot twist. 75% of the read felt like a waste of time: blah, blah, blah, "I'm so confused", blah, blah, blah.
It was a VERY light read, nothing to make an impression on me. Plot, characters, romance, angst, sex -they were all light. The only thing I will remember about this book is being fooled by its good reviews.
on September 7, 2012
This is a well written book with interesting characters and a believable plotline. I have a 19 year old niece that I think would love it. But for me, there was something that was just off. I loved the parts where Daphne revealed what she was thinking and feeling, but didn't care so much for the conversations. They were a little too stilted, a little too sappy, just a bit naive. I think I'm too old for this book.

The characters are well developed and likable. The series of bad dates was hysterical - I especially loved Abram. I could relate to all of the relationship twists and turns, ups and downs.

The only real technical advice I have for the author is to be careful with adverb choice. I noticed a couple of oddities, and probably should have made some notes knowing that I had committed to a review. But I do remember one was at the alter.. "After our kiss is forcibly ended,". Maybe you meant necessarily, abruptly, prematurely or reluctantly, but I don't think you meant forcibly. There were a few similar instances that stuck out.

This was a solid freshman effort, and I will be looking out for the next release from Ms Brown.
on December 23, 2012
I would like to begin with being thankful that I didn't waste any money on this book. I got it when it was offered for free.
The premise was promising and that was what initially drew my attention. Things went downhill quickly. How many times does an author need to use the words, "smirk", "flirt" and "adorable"? These words appeared too often.
Daphne was a character that I could not feel anything for. She made her own angst willingly. She was the queen of the drama queens. I would have rather have heard more of Morgan's story. She was at least more level-headed.
I cannot really recommend this book.
on December 11, 2012
[...]
RECAP

Daphne Harper is the "bouquet" girl at all the wedding's she attends. All of her friends have found their soul mates and walked down the aisle. The only thing Daphne has done is catch the bouquet at their weddings.

Daphne thought she found the love of her life in Mayson, but that was shattered when he turned his back on her and walked away. Years later Daphne still can't find the one. Because to her Mayson will always be it. And when he comes back Daphne vows to make it work this time.

But will she miss out on a chance at real love? Or will Mayson really be it?

MY TAKE

Ok I have to start off by saying that I truly wanted to be blown away by this book. I heard so many wonderful things and was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed.

For the first half of this book I was just annoyed with Daphne and her obsession with Mayson. The guy did her dirty and left her and she was still strung up on him. And when he comes back and tries to make it right she practically drools over him. I'm not a fan of spineless heroine's and Daphne was exactly that. And Mayson was a jerk and I didn't like him one bit. The fact that she forgave him for EVERYTHING he did was ridiculous and made her lose points with me.

The only bright spot were the secondary characters and Tanner. From his first appearance I was all Team Tanner! When he finally became a focus in the book I was content and I enjoyed every part he was in. I also liked when he made his final stand and fought for his happiness. He was sweet, caring, loving but also didn't put up with being anyone's second and I loved that about him.

Elise, Morgan and Evan were great friends and I liked that they weren't blinded by what was happening. I loved Evan and would like to read a book on him and his love life!

So all in all, I liked the second half of this book. The first, not at all.

I will let you to make your decision on it!
on September 5, 2012
*** SPOILER INCLUDED IN THIS REVIEW!! ***

I love GOOD romance stories and Bouquet Toss did not disappoint!

This book made me laugh and this book made me cry. And, at one point, this book made me want to toss my phone (I read on a kindle app) across the room in complete frustration. You know its a good book when...!

Oh, and it also provided me with a new book boyfriend :) I love Tanner, he's perfect for Daphne, but Evan stole my heart.

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who loves contemporary romance novels!
on October 20, 2012
I am honestly shocked by the number of people who gave this such high ratings! While the story line is fine, this book suffers from poor dialogue and flat characters. I did love the cover.. It is beautiful. I had hoped the level of romance reflected in the cover carried through to the story, but it just does not.