Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bower Pro Lens Cap Keeper for SLR Cameras CK501
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

The Canon Powershot SX10IS 10MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom I recently purchased has at least two minor design flaws. First, the lens cap isn't attached to the camera. This would be less of a problem if, second, the little doobies - that's the technical term - on the sides of the cap that one finger-squeezes to release it from the lens were more pronounced (such as the ones on my venerable Canon-AE1 SLR), but they have an awkwardly low profile and I can see accidentally dropping the cap into the dirt on its way to my shirt pocket as I fumble to snap off a shot of those pesky UFOs that frequently hover over my house. Anyway, I can't do much about the low profile doobies or the UFOs, but I immediately went looking for a lens tether, and decided upon the BOWER CK501, which I received today.

The CK501's elastic loop fits perfectly snug around the base of the lens barrel. The 4.5 inch tether seems just the right length to me though others have considered it too short. I did note that another reviewer thought that the adhesive on the attachment button needed to be stronger, so I just made that irrelevant from the get go by using a drop of superglue; that little puppy isn't straying anywhere.

I have no reason to think the CK501 won't work out just fine. If it comes up lacking, I'll get back to you.

P.S. 1/21/15: I've now hiked down into the Grand Canyon, to remote lakes in the Rocky Mountain National Park, and along the Na Pali Coast carrying the SX10IS with the lens cap tethered by the CK501. The attachment button adhered to the cap at each of many photo ops along the way, the adhesive no doubt supplemented by that drop of superglue. In any case, the tether did its job to perfection. Without it, it's probable that I would've dropped the cap into the trail dust, a creek, or lake at some point.
22 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2009
I recently lost a lens cap and wanted something to make sure it didn't happen again, so I bought this product. The cord is too short to reach on my longer lens (a 70-300mm Canon), though it fits the stock 18-55mm lens OK. But it doesn't really matter as the adhesive is so weak that it just fell off after a few days of use. This product was horrible. Do not buy it!
on May 17, 2008
I find the Bower CK501 a poor product. It needs a stronger adhesive on the button. I also think that the cord should be 2" longer.
on July 23, 2009
This cap keeper arrived quickly, looked good, and broke almost immediately. The elastic meant to hold the keeper around lens fell apart as soon as I tried to stretch it around my lens.
on February 19, 2009
We bought 2 Bower Lens Cap Keepers just before a recent 5 week trip. We have just returned and neither of the cap keepers are still intact. Very disappointing!
on September 12, 2009
I bought this item because my digital camera did not come with a lens keeper strap. This item fell apart within minutes of putting it on my camera. I would not buy this item, nor recommend it to anyone.
on August 21, 2009
Don't waste your money on this poorly-made, cheap, Chinese piece of junk. As soon as I took it out of the package and handled it, the cord ripped. The cord is very flimsy and where it is clamped to the elastic band the sharp teeth from the clamp cut into the cord.

This product will not hold up. The corny silver ring sticker also fell off within minutes, and the adhesive is very weak.

Simply put, this is another cheap, mass-produced, foreign product that is a WASTE of money.

Do yourself a favor and look for a better solution, I know I will. This a cheap product that shouldn't be on any high-end digital camera.
on September 9, 2009
I spent more for the shipping on this item than the item itself (because it is a drop-ship item and did not qualify for free shipping). I put it on the camera & then headed out to shoot some photos. Literally the first time I removed the lens-cap from my camera,the elastic band broke that secures it to the cap. I managed to tie the remaining cord to my camera strap, so I am still using it. But the sticky-dot often falls off of the cap & I find the lens cap on the ground. Save your money! I'm thinking I may be able to drill a small hole in the cap & tie a longer string through that to my strap...could work!
on November 16, 2009
I treat my camera and equipment with respect and gentleness. This little gadget sounded like a great solution for not losing a lens cap, and while it lasted it worked as described. However, after only 3 photo outings, the string broke off the doohickey that sticks onto the lens cap. I was glad I could get the doohickey off without damaging the lens cap.

A wonderful concept, but poor quality.

Guess you get what you pay for!
on July 2, 2012
I originally bought this for the lens cap for a Canon 18-55mm lens. This is a short lens and I was sure that the limited reach of the cap leash would be long enough for it.

The elastic band that holds the leash on the lens itself is reasonably strong and feels as though it will retain is elasticity for a long time. The glue that holds the lens cap to the leash has not started to come loose and I still feel as though it is holding the lens cap well. The length of the leash is, as expected, long enough for a short lens. All in all I found this item to be perfect for a small lens like the Canon 18-55 and I was so pleased with it that I bought a second one for another lens that I have.

However this lens cap keeper will probably not work as well for any long lens. The elastic band would have to be placed near the end of the lens barrel and that would probably place it on the section used to turn the lens. That would mean that the entire band would move when the lens was turned and the string holding the lens cap will correspondingly shorten. Turning the lens barrel very much would probably take up all of the slack on the leash and then prevent the lens from turning (or make turning the lens further more difficult). Neither of those are things that people want to deal with when trying to take a quick photo so I recommend this only for relatively short lenses.

A further thing to consider is whether or not you plan to use a lens hood. By its very nature a lens hood will interfere with the proper operation of this lens cap keeper by making the distance from the elastic band to the lens cap effectively longer. Further, if you keep your lens hood on your lens and reverse it as you need to (as I generally do) the backward facing lens hood will put a further strain on the length of the lens cap leash.

If you have a short lens and if you are not using a lens hood this item is a gem and I have rated it on that basis and for those conditions. Perhaps the company will make another version of this lens cap keeper with a longer leash and that would make it more acceptable for longer lenses and/or lens hoods.