Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 18, 2011
 Love this product!! I just wish I had known about it earlier :)

1. Easy to apply
2. East to use
3. Gives you much needed wide angle shots
4. Magnetic strips work well
5. Even comes with lens covers and a small bag

XOXO
1010 comments| 283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 20, 2010
Purchased this add-on wide angle lens to use in filming interior of real estate properties. The lens attachment, a steel ring that adheres to the front of the Flip Ultra lens area with self-stick adhesive, does not detract from the appearance of the camera. The lens appears to stay on well, though I haven't tried to jar the camera with the wide angle lens held on magnetically. In "normal" use, I don't think there would be any problem with it coming off.

My greatest disappointment was with the quality of the picture when using the lens. Without the lens, the Flip Ultra (3rd generation)Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL takes wonderfully sharp HD video. With the wide-angle lens, the picture seems a bit blurred, a bit like filming through a bit of haze. The picture, though encompassing a wider view, is just a bit fuzzier, not as sharp. Though for my purposes the image is not unusable, it is still disappointing to have an HD picture that isn't sharp.

If you need a wider field of view, and if a loss of sharpness isn't a huge concern, this lens will do the job. But if you are only satisfied with perfectly sharp video, you may be a little disappointed with the results using this lens.
1212 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2011
I was so happy to discover a wide angle lens was available for my Flip Mino HD. I used my Flip to record a fireworks display and wished more of the night sky was captured, then, voila! I found this lens. It is quite sturdy for being such a little lens. It isn't terribly heavy, but substantial. I was in my kitchen about 3 feet away from my kitchen table, and I viewed the table through the Flip lens. Without the lens, I could only see the table centerpiece. With the wide angle lens, I could see more of the table, the chair in one corner of the room and the wine refrigerator in the other corner! Can't argue that it widens the view. The lens has not fallen off and does not seem to be in jeopardy of doing so, I guess, unless I start doing calisthenics with it. It comes with a removeable silver ring attached to the under side of the lens where it would connect to the Flip lens magnetically. There are instructions to remove the sticky paper on the exposed side of the ring and place the sticky side of the ring on your Flip lens. Let it "cure" for 15 minutes. Once that is done, you can connect your Flip wide angle lens magnetically to your Flip. I followed the instructions and the lens has not fallen off nor does it seem loose. You just cannot lose with this wide angle lens if you own a Flip. But just make sure it is compatible with your Flip. I checked the Flip website to confirm compatibility.
on December 26, 2011
I wish there were a $50 accessory WA lens for the Flip cams with a tad more image quality. As it is, the Bower lens works OK, but causes a noticeable decrease in sharpness and increase in barrel distortion (and video from Flip cams isn't stunningly beautiful to begin with.) Nevertheless, if you're shooting in tight quarters, this is the only way to get a decent amount of the scene in the finder. Just guessing here, but the lens seems to give about the equivalent of a 35mm angle of view top-to-bottom in the frame, whereas the unaltered flip view is more like a 50mm or longer lens.

The mounting system works fairly well as long as you don't jostle the camera violently, in which case the magnet's not strong enough to hold things together.

As mentioned, the glass is not great, but build quality seems good. Including front and back lens caps is a nice touch. However, I had to return the first one to Amazon because it was missing two of three adhesive rings and the third was actually stuck to the back of the lens itself.

Given the cheap price and lack of other options, it's definitely worth buying.
I had read the reviews on this wide angle lens for most of the Flip digital cam line and was intrigued by the possibilities.

I decided now was the time to buy it just before I went on a business trip last week to the Caribbean and boy am I glad I did.

The biggest thing to concern yourself with is attaching the lens. That's it.

The lens does increase the viewing/recording angles by a wide margin, (I'm assuming by a 45 degrees).

I took the wrist strap and attached it to the camera and enclose both in a Lowepro bag. Perfect.

***

I took many video clips on my trip to The Bahamas and measured it against the standard lens and the benefit of the wide angle was only offset by a decrease in resolution. It wasn't a great decrease, but it was definitely noticeable.

Like others have recommended, this is most certainly a product to have if you own one of those compatible Flip cameras.
on February 16, 2011
 Video review by [...]

The Flip camera delivers HD video at a consumer-level price, but up till now, there have been no lenses available for the Flip. Enter the Bower 0.45x Wide Angle Magnetic Lens for Flip Cameras. It attaches magnetically to the Flip, and as you'll see in this video, it really improves the composition of shots, both at close range (2 to 3 feet from your subject), and at a distance.

We're your Production Guides, and we want to teach you all you need to know to make your own videos. Please come check us out online at [...] .
2626 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 9, 2012
This has been a great addition to my Flip Ultra HD (2nd Generation). It does exactly what is advertised. It's great being able to get better audio off of my subjects by being closer to them while still maintaining good to decent framing.

The only downside is that you have to be careful about putting on the lens. If you don't, then there's a fairly good chance that you'll get a bit of the black ring around the camera's original lens. Some like it, some don't.

I would highly suggest looking into this, if you're thinking about getting a wide angle lens. It comes off and on easily, and I like to think that the lens caps do a good job of keeping the lens clean when not in use.
on June 15, 2015
I'm really amazed at how well this works. I was very pleasantly surprised because I didn't have a high expectation when I ordered it. It does exactly what it claims to do and all the reviewers wrote about. There was a great video review which I found it to be very accurate and helpful. It's like buying two lenses for the price of one because you simply screw off the top lens to use the macro lens. I like the fact that it comes with a pouch and a string. I kept dropping it but that's a user issue and not the product. Again, I dropped it a few times but it's absolutely no damage.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I am by far no camera expert. So I don't know the difference between micros, macros or any other camera terminology. I just know how to point, shoot or record. I wanted to get a lens that would allow me to record video of a concert using a wide shot angle. This zens does that, but it also made the distance of the image further. I was hoping that it would not effect the zoom, but it did. This might be a great item for someone who is more interested in recording wider views of panoramic scenes or groups. The other down size was that I notice that lens had some real weight to it, and when I attempted to walk while using my Flip it would pop off. Thank goodness I tethered it to my Flip or otherwise the zens would of broken when it came off. The magnetic ring does not generate a strong enough hold.
on November 6, 2011
Not much to say about this product except that it works as advertised. The metal holding ring works fine and the lens stays put. Make sure the camera is clean and dry before you apply the metal ring and make sure you let it dry for 15 minutes (as stated in the instructions).

I personally don't have the lanyard attached from the lens to the camera because I have the lanyard that came with the Flip in use. I also don't really take my camera anywhere, it only records from my desk on a tripod. That being said, I can see why one would want to use the lens lanyard, in case the lens gets knocked off. Maybe I will try attaching both lanyards, or if someone has done this, perhaps you can comment. I know I would like the camera attached to my wrist in case I drop it.

The bag and lens covers (for both front and back) are also a nice touch; you can safely store your lens when not in use.