- Brand Name: Bowers & Wilkins
- Model Number: Zeppelin Mini
- Color: Silver/Blk
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Mini Docking Speaker for iPod
- iPod compatibility: iPod nano 2G, 3G, 4G; iPod classic 4G, 5G, 5.5G, 6G; iPod touch 1G, 2G; iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS
- Docking port allows you to grasp the iPod as if it were in your hand as normal; accommodates iPod/iPhone/touch of differing depths without adapters
- Powerful DSP (Digital Sound Processing) and B&W drive unit technology, plus exclusive technologies--such as Flowport--deliver class-leading sound
- Intelligent features include a docking arm that rotates 90 degrees--perfect for watching videos or skipping through tracks in Cover Flow
- Stream music directly from a PC or Mac via the USB socket
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
"With Zeppelin Mini, you get everything you love about Zeppelin - advanced acoustic technology, intelligent design, elegant connectivity - in a streamlined, compact sound dock package that's perfect for desktops and bedside tables. "
But I was let down; the two speakers produce completely different sound. Pop music (I tried out Rhianna and Britney Spears) sounded okay due to the typically louder treble and bass in the recording, although when played louder it sounded clearly distorted and hollow; classical symphonies (I tried out Brahms' Symphony #4 and Shostakovich's Cello Concerto #1) sounded disappointing - the entire bass section cannot be heard until the volume is cranked up really high!; classical solo and chamber music (I played Vivaldi's Four Season - Winter, 2.Largo) turned out to be surprisingly really good and in my opinion the best genre for this speaker. After turning on Bass enhancer on my iPod EQ setting (unlike the original Z, the Mini does not have an external bass/treble control), the bass can be heard more but is too obviously distorted - cracking sound can be heard at times.
The bass sounded more full when positioned closer to me. B&W claims that the introduction of a flowport (absent in the original Zeppelin) is designed to amplify the bass; I found the outcome to be nothing like that of the original Zeppelin.Read more ›
A few things to note:
1. The room - as any true audio nut knows, the room is a huge part of the overall sound above very low level listening, a crappy room can sound bad with a $10,000 stereo, none the less a few hundred dollar gem like this. This works great in smaller rooms, say under 2,000 cu ft (or about 250 sq ft), ideally placed in a corner to enhance the bass or near the center of a wall to promote better stereo imaging. If the room is part of a open floor plan, expect less bass, that's just the way acoustics work.
2. Crap in = Crap out - This is an iPod dock, not a reference SACD player, proper vinyl setup, or the like. What you are feeding into is is typically very squashed, thin music, and it'll sound like that no matter where it's from. Re-rip your collection as Apple Lossless and you'll be much happier. Yes 800kbps on up takes up a lot more room, but the quality is night and day. If you can't hear the difference between your standard 128-192kbps downloads and CDs, you're probably not looking at this for anything but status or bragging rights anyway, in that case, go ahead and buy whatever looks cool. If you feed this thing decent audio and set it up in the proper way, you'll love it. I really enjoy mine even though I can go down to my sound room and listen to a proper B&W system in a room that was built from the ground up for pure audio quality.
All that said, I really do like the Zeppelin Mini and think it's a great deal for audio. However, if you've got the space, the full size Zeppelin does offer superb stereo imaging and better bass, but it's rather large for most people.
This is B&W for goodness sake so it better be 5 stars and it is. I have owned kevlar B&W speakers for years and have pushed them far above what they should have and they keep performing. Taking this unit out of the box I was impressed with the overall quality of the craftsmanship. It has a heft to it and feels rock solid; a typical B&W attribute. The stalk feels solid and not flimsy. The chrome appears thick and the fabric used is top notch.
Installing iPod Touch. *****
I used an iPod Touch 32GB 2nd Gen for this review. When I opened the box I did not see the seperate adapters for the different iPods. So, initially I put the iPod on the connector and turned on the Zep. It came on and worked fairly well but when I changed orientation for cover flow vs portrait I had some issues. Once I found the adapter and installed it the iPod felt as if it was actually part of the Zep. It hovers above like you see in the iPhone commercials where they are showing you apps. Cover flow works amazingly. Its even better than holding it in your hand, in that this turns the zep into a video jukebox.
The sound is tight and has beautiful low, mid and highs. One thing I noted is that while other iPod type of players allow you to turn it all the way up, this box just screams at about 75% volume, which is more accurate of high end products.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A couple of months ago I bought this speaker system at a thrift shop for $10 bucks, almost brand new, ( luckiest I've ever been ) and been amazed at the quality of sound. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Zachary.H
Fantastic sound. Pity about the I centric nature of theses. Some people don't use the gryphon. Oh the apple products. What about windows phone and lord forbid android users. Read morePublished 14 months ago by whooble
B & W.....clearly the best. The sound is full and clear. I would highly recommend.Published 21 months ago by Jon T.
Sound quality and size of unit is perfect for my smaller home. I'm very happy with my purchase of used merchandise on Amazon.Published on April 24, 2014 by Meredith M. Bowers
I was looking for an I-Pod speaker system with a small footprint. After much research, this model seemed to be well rated, so I purchased it. I haven't been disappointed. Read morePublished on August 29, 2013 by W. Brown
Gostei muito deste som! De alta qualidade! Vem com os adaptadores para vários tipos de aparelhos da apple. O controle é lindo!Published on March 25, 2013 by Louise Brasileiro
The ease of operation, the quality of sound, the portability and the price made it a great gift. My daughter loves it!Published on January 13, 2013 by Rolando V. Arango
I was told by my son that B&W was the better of the three that I was reviewing, he was right, I had heard the others, which were also very good, but the B&W was more to my liking,... Read morePublished on December 17, 2012 by August Cosentino