Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single)
|Price:||$256.76 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$142.24 (36%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Adjustable dumbbell that does the work of multiple dumbbells in one
- Weight adjusts from 10 pounds up to 90 pounds in 5-pound increments with the twist of a dial
- Suitable for both basic toning and strength exercises and heavy leg lifts
- Durable molding surrounds the metal plates to create smooth, quiet liftoff
- Includes "Secrets of the 4-Step Rep" DVD with more than 30 exercises
Frequently Bought Together
Would you like to give feedback on images?
Top Customer Reviews
1) In the "most helpful critical review" it is listed that the rectangular chrome handles are a pain to deal with. This almost compelled me not to buy this product. However, after trying out the DBs, I did not find it much of a bother. The "rectangular" handles are pretty much round with a hint of "rectangulariness" if you will. Not much of a bother to me, but some thick tape cloth should remedy the problem if you have sensitive hands.
2) To those that do not want to buy the $150 stand, I found that instead of picking the DBs off the floor, you can simply make use of the shipping boxes as a custom made stand. Just turn over the Styrofoam and cut off the top lid of the box and place the DB within the box and you are set. The DBs are still a little low, but it is better than picking them off the floor.
3) If you ever have the problem of a DB not fitting within the base evenly, the dials are stuck, and one of the plates does not attach to the DB, do not send in the DB to the manufacturer just yet (I had this occur to me today). After some experimenting, I finally figured out that all I had to do was remove the DB from the base and remove the plates from the base until the base was completely emptied. Then, with the emptied base, place the DB back within the base (without remaining plates on the floor). You should be able to switch the dials back to 10 lbs with plates from the DB coming off. Then simply place back all the plates within the base and place the DB back within the base with the plates ready to go.Read more ›
The 1050's have a nice rubberized handle grip but the 1090's have an all metal grip with a rough texture. I find them less comfortable than the rubberized grip but a little tape takes care of the issue.
The dial selector is very good and is super easy to use. It just takes a couple seconds to dial in the weight you want and off you go. This is a very high quality product and it works very well.
The only drawback I've seen is that the bar is pretty long so you are using a large and long dumbbell even when you only need 10 lbs of weight. I've had some trouble doing double arm curls because the weights hit when I get my arms close enough together to do the exercise properly. To compensate, I just do one set with each arm individually. 90% of the exercises I do are not affected by the length so its not a significant issue for me.
I highly recommend this set. You should consider getting the stand to save your back. 90 or 180 lbs is a lot of weight to lift from the floor and especially if you are doing it repetitively. The stand is at the right height and orientation to allow easy pickup of the dumbbells without straining your back.
I bought the 1090 dumbbell set (two dumbbells) and the stand new for $600 at Play it Again Sports. I haven't seen any deals that good online. If you don't want to spend the money for a full set of dumbbells and/or you if you have limited space, then I highly recommend this product. I have to say I still enjoy dialing in the weight every time I do it. I guess the gadget factor is something to consider also :-)
The grip on the handle is extremely uncomfortable. They are not like traditional dumbbells. Instead, they are pointed out like miniature spikes that dig into your hand.
They are extremely wide and bulky (which is to be somewhat expected because of them being condensed, but certainly not to the extreme that these are).
They are made in China and are POORLY made. The spiral plates on the handle are made of extremely cheap plastic, if you drop these once (as I did from 6inches) they will likely crack and your weights will no longer lock in at all. I realize it's stressed to not drop them, this is clearly my fault. However, I didn't expect for a product that I paid nearly $300 for to break so easily. I feel like they're made so cheap on purpose so that you need to replace the parts. The warranty essentially covers NOTHING. The only thing it covers is if already comes broken. Had I known this ahead of time, I would've never bought them.
From the first week, the 2.5 pound plate would continually fall out, which is extremely dangerous. I don't know what caused this, it's doubtful it was from my usage because of how early this started happening.
So please, don't be an idiot like me. Go out and read more about these before looking at the amazon reviews and concluding these are a good choice (especially when comparing them to other alternatives).
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Wanted to love these but I can't. Weights slip off from time to time which is really annoying when you're in the middle of sets. Read morePublished 17 days ago by D. How
This is great for the weight difference but the biggest issue you will run into is the fact there is no buffer between your skin and the handle. Read morePublished 22 days ago by Rabbit
nice weights. Love being able to spin a dial to get a heavier weight.Published 24 days ago by prettyinpynk
Love these. They can be a little bulky when you get up there in weight but still so easy to change the weight and great design. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Michael Szpak
I upgraded from my 52.5 lb set. I love the convince and added weight on the 1090 set but the grip is bad. Not as good as my old setPublished 1 month ago by JOE
This is a very unsafe product. After six months of use, one of the plates fell off. I avoided injury, but I was extremely lucky. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Mike K
The dumbbells are very nice , the weight selection is easy. For home use they will last , not ment to be dropped or tossed like you see people at the gym do dumbbells , the... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer