Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Style Name: Dumbbells Only|Change

on July 4, 2015
I got to say you guys aren't really fair with the way you kill it. People these are adjustable and you got to be careful when using them. Seriously.

░░░░░Lets break it down, Pros/Cons mixed░░░░░
❖ Number one complaint people have is that they aren't sturdy and I disagree, they are very well made and safe. You cannot drop them. It gives ample warning in the manual as there are moving parts and it simply isn't designed to take that much abuse. I often do work to failure however have till have the strength guide the dumbbells to a light landing on the floor this really shouldn't be an issue.

❖ Another complaint people have is that you have to put them back on their stand at an exact angle which is true but I really never noticed as it really isn't that difficult.

❖ Another complaint I have seen is that the weight is off I tested this and it was off by a couple of ounces, that rumor simply isn't true.

❖ Another complaint that comes to my mind form # of people is that they are too expensive (if you can't find a deal) and too bulky with the lower weights (as the length stays the same) however you get used to adjusting to the size really quick, at least I did.

░░░░░BOTTOM LINE░░░░░
I am very happy with my purchase and am seeing great results so far. If you can find a good deal and trust yourself to never drop the things you should have no problems.

***If you like this review, please mark this review as helpful below! Also, feel free to ask me questions by leaving comments. I will promptly reply. Thanks for reading***
44 comments| 1,214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2017
I got these adjustable dumbbells since most of my workouts are done in the garage ever since we had our first baby. With very little time to get to the gym I needed these to maximize the time I do have to workout now. I found these to have no movement when I changed the weights. I’ve used different sets of these in the past and that was my biggest complaint. I would feel the weight discs moving when I did curls but not with these. I highly recommend the Boxflex brand. I also upgraded to a new test booster called Tritestin by Biotek Nutrition – Testosterone Booster Boosts Test Levels and Increases Strength, Muscle Mass, Fat Loss, and Overall Male Performance which increased my energy and sex drive to super high levels. I had to figure out something since my sleep patterns are way off which causes my energy levels to drop big time and affects my sex drive. The combo of the new equipment and the test booster is exactly what I needed to stay motivated and still get good gains without going to the gym.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2017
I was really pleased with these Dumbbells initially - simple to use and compact for a quick home workout. As you can see from the photos, they were well taken care of and used exclusively on soft carpet, not concrete. I never threw the weights or slammed them after a set, so not heavy use or abuse. Unfortunately, the mechanism that holds the weight on the handle is plastic. In less than 2 years, it somehow broke on both of my weights. It is amazing that Bowflex would use cheap plastic to hold the weights in place. After calling customer service - she was very nice - we tried to work on a resolution, but they would not honor the warranty. To replace the part was $56/each (I needed 2) plus shipping..of a weight. I would be in for more than half the cost of a new set to fix the defective piece of plastic....no, thanks. For this price point, I would have hoped for a better product design and Bowflex to repair/replace a defective product. My advice - pick another weight that will last.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After a lot of consideration, I ended up purchasing these weights to use with P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program - 13 DVDs, Nutrition Guide, Exercise Planner. The program calls for a lot of different weights, and I was tired of leaving 8 different dumbbells lying around on the floor of my den. After using these for roughly three months, I am very pleased with them, and with a few exceptions, they work great for P90X.

CONSTRUCTION/DESIGN- As of 2/16/10, the model being sold on Amazon is the 2009 model, which came out in September 2008 and is the most current model available. There is no 2010 model, despite what many third party sellers claim (I have confirmed this with Nautilus). I have uploaded pictures of the version Amazon is selling, which comes with a black base plate. Amazon has lumped the reviews from the 2008 model in with this 2009 model, so read the reviews carefully. The 2009 model eliminates many of the complaints of the 2008, most specifically, it uses metal tabs on the weight plates to lock them in place. Construction is solid and it is very unlikely these will break. Although unlike traditional dumbbells, you can't drop these on the ground after a set. They are fairly sturdy, but I would be very nervous about dropping these from any height over about 5". The handle is ergonomic to fit the palm of your hand and the grip feels good and natural during lifting. The handle is thicker than a dumbbell and I prefer it to the thinner dumbbell handles.

The weights have a dial on the end of them that you turn to select the desired weight. If you select 10lbs, it will then lock in the two weight plates to make 10 lbs, and release everything else; so when you pick up the weights, you get 10 lbs and all the other weights are left in the base plate. When done, you put the weights back in the base plate. This works very well, with the exception of it "catching" occasionally if the weight plates shift a little bit. This happens maybe 1/100 times or so though and isn't a big problem. You just jiggle the weights a bit until it locks. The nice thing about this design, is that the two ends of the dumbbell don't have to be the same weight. You can set the dial to 10lbs on one end and 30 lbs on the other. This will effectively put 5lbs on one end of the bar and 15lbs on the other. I don't do this often, but it can lead to more variation in exercises, and I occasionally do it for tricep workouts or hammer curls. When lifting, the weights feel very sturdy. The plates are firmly locked onto the handle. There is no shaking or movement of the plates at all, and they don't feel much different than dumbbells.

PRICE - I definitely do not think these are worth the suggested retail price, but then again, I have never seen them sold for anything close to that. While they may seem expensive, if you calculate the cost of a large range of dumbbells (which typically sell for $1 per pound), these are a very favorable comparison. Just two 35lb dumbbells are going to cost you at least $50 (closer to $70 if new).

USE WITH P90X - I originally did P90X with dumbbells. I had three different dumbbells, which just isn't enough for the variety of exercises used in that program. If money and space is no object, I would recommend a full dumbbell set over these, as dumbbells are better for the exercises. But for most people that just isn't practical. I hate pulling out and storing even three sets of dumbbells every other day to workout. The SelectTechs look so good that I just leave them in my den year round.

The main advantages the SelectTechs have with P90X is the ability to select smaller weight increment, and being able to make weight changes quickly. Before these I owned a set of 10s, 15s, and 25s, which isn't enough variety. Going up from 15 to 25 on bicep curls is a very big jump for me was too light, 25 was too heavy, and my form was terrible because I was struggling with the weight. With the SelectTechs, I could go to 17.5, then 20, then 22.5, then finally to 25. being able to go from 10lbs to 12.5 on tricep exercises, rather than 10lbs to 15 helps significantly. The other advantage is to quickly change weight increments. With P90X, you have about 15-30 seconds to set up for the next exercise. 5-10 seconds is all the time I needed to change the four dials on the SelectTechs and get a new weight.

CONS - The real problem with these weights is the length. I had no real problem with the width, which is very manageable, but the dumbbells are 16" long. This can cause a problem with some of the P90X exercises. There are maybe 7-8 exercises during the entire program that are awkward to do because of the length of the dumbbells. There are about 2-3 exercises that are very awkward to do (to the point that I actually switch to my dumbbells for these). Congdon Curls and Flip Grip Twist Kickback (tricep exercise) are two that I can think of off-hand that are difficult to do. You can ultimately make it work, but it's going to feel a little funny as you try to hold the weights out far enough to clear each other or your chest. This isn't enough of an issue that it would discourage me from buying them again.

I originally debated between getting these and the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Single Dumbbell, since I was worried 52.5 pounds wouldn't be enough. Even though there are a few exercises where you could eventually need more than 52.5 pounds (heavy pants and lawnmowers come to mind), I really think this is enough weight for 90% of the people who will be doing P90X. And as Tony says, if you don't have heavy enough weight, you can always add reps. I would not buy the 1090s (which go up to 90 lbs) for P90X because I think the length of those, which is even bigger than the 552s), would just be too unwieldy for many of the exercises.

The SelectTechs did come with a short DVD that shows you some workouts specifically designed for these dumbbells and how to use them. I did find this beneficial since it gave me some tips that I didn't know about lifting. Optionally, I bought the Bowflex SelectTech 552 / 1090 Dumbbell Stand to use with these. It looks great, but I'm not sure I would buy it again. If you don't care about looks, the box the SelectTechs are shipped in makes a great stand on it's own and is very sturdy.

UPDATE June 2012 - I've put these weights through an estimated 200+ hours of heavy use since I've had them and they still look brand new and work just the same as when I got them. There are times when I want heavier weights and would have liked some dumbbells that go up to 90 lbs, but I don't want to sacrifice the smaller profile of these for the larger model. Still very satisfied.

UPDATE November 2013 - I'm still using the SelectTechs almost daily. They are in almost identical condition to when I received them with no signs of wear or problems. I have not found a better solution for adjustable dumbbells yet and will continue to use them (although I do wish they were slightly smaller).

UPDATE November 2016 - Still using the SelectTechs, albeit about bi-weekly since I have switched my fitness regimen. I would say they have close to 1000 hours of use and are still in almost brand new condition, and still working great. I have recently switched to the Selecttech 560s though and will be finally retiring the 552s.
review image review image review image review image review image
3333 comments| 1,909 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2017
Bought these for P90X3. They are great for most workouts but the large physical size of them makes some of the moves very difficult. There is one exercise where you are on your side, propped up with one arm, and you need to pass the weight between your torso and your arm that is supporting you on the floor. Easy to do with standard weights but since these are quite a bit longer, additional wrist movements were required to pass the weight through the window created between torso and arm. Otherwise the weights are great.
on August 16, 2014
With a strict diet and a 6X week routine of cardio and strength training, I was able to lose 45 lbs in 6 months. I used these weights for my strength training and found them to be convenient and integral to my daily fitness routine.

Reading the amazon reviews I was initially worried about the durability, but these worries were unfounded. After 8 months of daily use the weights still feel like new. They have thick, comfortable handles, and you get used to rotating the wheels to get the poundage you need, which turn with nice, satisfying clicks.

My only complaint is the jump from 25 lbs to 30 lbs. I would like 28 lbs or 27.5 lbs but this is inconsequential. Something approximating 28 lbs can be achieved by turning one side to 30 and the other side to 25, but the weights will have to be returned in the exact position.

You can get a full set of chrome weights for half the price. I've always liked the look of chrome dumbbells on a rack but the 16" square footprint of these weights is perfect for my minuscule apartment. Additionally, the design of the Bowflex dumbbells is cool, black and red looks good, and the fact that they are adjustable is an interesting talking point when people see them.

These weights enabled me to tone my muscles and add definition to my chest, shoulders and back, but they are not heavy enough to build big muscles. I was able to achieve a physique closer to a swimmer's or a martial artist than a typical bodybuilder. As I have always admired Bruce Lee, I was very happy with my results.

I know I could have achieved the same results with a full set of cheaper dumbbells. I have to say the price point of this set helped my motivation, as I wanted to get my money's worth out of them. They are a great set if you can afford the initial cost, but only one piece of the fitness & weight loss puzzle. You really need to clean up your diet, in addition to daily strength and cardio.
on January 27, 2017
What a great dumbbell set!! Adjustment is very easy, smooth and overall a very solid dumbbell. They are a bit wider than normal due to the adjustable plates but that isn't a deal breaker. Haven't dropped them yet and hope I don't but if I do, I hope they hold up. So far, these are perfect for a home gym. It comes with a CD showing workouts but there are MANY dumbbell workouts online. With a little imagination and Google'n you can get a full workout with these. Get a simple bench will add many workout exercises.
review image review image review image review image
on April 5, 2015
Really like these adjustable dumbbells so far. Unless you want a full gym in your house, these are perfect.

Very easy to switch weights, there is no learning curve.

Only things are is that they are kind of long, bulky and kind of feel a swaying movement of the weights when doing a curling or a similiar movement.

Dont drop these, put then back in place slowly when you are done each set/rep and you will love these!
on December 13, 2016
I wanted to just lift some weights and tone without going to the gym and without turning a whole room of my house into a weight junk room. I ordered a set of these as well as a large stability ball and have been doing 3 to 4 workouts a week with these. So far they work well. Even after about a month I flexed my arm and let my wife feel my bicep and seemed to do something for her lol (childish but I am a computer nerd I had no muscles lol)

The only issue I have had with them is that yes they are LONG. So yes you may have to adjust exercises to deal with the length of them being awkward. So far the really only one I come into an issue with is bicep curls. The ends always tend to get caught on my shorts or shorts pockets.

These are nice to have a compact workout area in your home. They do have limits. But nice none the same. They had 12 payments no interested when I got them on amazon card so that was nice as well.

Yes some will balk at the price but to me it was convenience. Buy a weight set and a dumbbell set and a bench and this and that and have it take up a whole ugly room or just have these sitting in the corner. YEP WORKS FOR ME
on March 16, 2016
Just got them today but have been eyeballing them for awhile now. Kept finding myself needing to buy more dumbells plus the space where we kept the dumbbells we had bought, kept growing in footprint. Couldn't wait to unpackage them are start trying them out. I saw there are instructions and a DVD but I didn't open them yet. Just started playing with them and trying them out. Initially I was thinking you just had to turn the dial on one side in order to change the weight but you actually have to change it on both sides. Not a big deal at all. The dials turn easily but you can feel the "notches" when you get to whatever weight you're adjust to.

Just did a small workout with them but have a full workout scheduled for this Saturday but can't imagine that I'll be unhappy with them. If anything changes, I'll update the post but for now...I'm very happy I bought these and just wish I had bought them sooner!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.