Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 522 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 864 reviews
on February 9, 2014
Following reading comments online by Alex Malarkey's mother, Beth, I feel duped by his father, Kevin. I would recommend others do your own research to learn the truth behind this book. According to Mrs Malarkey, she nor Alex ever endorsed, approved, or received a dime of profit from this book, and it seems there were exaggerations and inaccuracies throughout it's content. So very sad.
88 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've read Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Backand this book. Of the two books I've read, the Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back deals more with the wonderment of heaven as seen through a child's eyes. The book evangelized in a less direct way as Colton Burpo's "voice" was heard by the author who seemed to catch the tone just right. Instead of being directly told what to believe as a reader we were allowed to see through Colton's eyes the wonders of heaven.

In this book there is less childlike innocence and wonderment, and more about how the family survived a tragic accident and learned to deal with it. While this is important, the book seemed to miss the mark when it came to telling about heaven itself. There is very little of Alex's "voice" heard in this book. What little is heard isn't very clear about what Alex saw while visiting heaven.

One thing is clear though and that is Alex did report a Near-Death Experience and going through the tunnel of light. He also reported seeing the accident scene, viewing the operating room, and related accident events. After that Alex's account is a little less clear.

Alex did report in the book seeing angels, demons and Satan as part of his experience. Today, according to the book he still sees all three regularly.

Overall, this was a good book and it would have been a better book if the author had focused on Alex's heavenly experiences. Instead the book was more about how the family survived after Alex's terrible accident.

Of the two books I'd recommend buying and reading Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back, if you are looking for a book that tells more about heaven and what a child saw.
on April 18, 2012
After reading Heaven Is For Real and absolutely loving it,a friend suggested The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven. From the very beginning, it left me with a very uneasy feeling. Sure I wanted more from Alex, more about Heaven, etc., but what I DID NOT WANT was a father making it all about himself and his guilt. I totally believe in God's grace, mercy and miracles without doubt,and I praise God for what he did for ALEX, but Kevin (the father) seemed to concentrate more on the family's roof, water heater, van, high priced equipment and elite surgeries ... material ... more to me in a sense of bragging (though he does throw shout outs to God and Alex's Army). I believe in Alex, I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I believe in angels and demons ... but I believe more so that this book was BY Kevin Malarkey, FOR Kevin Malarkey ... to capitalize on his 'traumatic ordeal.' He should take a lesson from his son ... Alex was the victim, Alex is the miracle and we heard more whining from Kevin himself!

Disheartened :(
on January 18, 2013
reading this. Many critics say this story does not line up with scripture, but God loves children and says we must all come to him as such. I'm not sure how much is revelation from God, but there's not much doubt Kevin had an encounter with our Lord. I love his matter of fact account, like most children they just take God at His word, and assume He's real. Their faith is amazing. Which means they know something we've forgotten as adults.

Its telling that Kevin came back knowing about his miscarried sister. That can't be a coincidence. I hesitate to criticize such unflinching faith. A thoroughly encouraging story for any believer, but again, God keeps the proof to Himself. It makes us have faith, not proof, which is what He requires. God bless Kevin and his family.
on April 29, 2014
This is a religious fantasy. Perhaps it's intended as an allegory or more likely, a parable, but it's utter fabrication.
I don't say this because I don't believe in Heaven, because I do.
I don't say this because I reject the possibility of "near death experiences". But rather because I've studied them extensively, and studied the Bible extensively and am familiar with the tension between the testimonies of the NDE community and the mainstream Church which rejects the idea that anyone can go to Heaven without being saved.

This book is written as a counterweight, a rebuttal of most of what is commonly understood as the Near Death Experience, especially stories like those of Dr. Eben Alexander. It is intended to use the experience of a child to validate traditional Christian doctrine about life and death, heaven and hell, angels and demons.

It fails because it also includes commonly held Christian fallacies about what the Bible actually says about angels and the charismata, and it contradicts the collective experience of the charismata.

So basically, it's a fraud. I'm sure many thousands of Church-goers will love and laud it, but it's nothing more than a well intentioned deception.

Romans 3:7
on April 23, 2016
Nice story, too bad it's all lies. Sorry for the son, shame on the dad.
on February 28, 2015
I thought this story was heartfelt and thoughtful, that is until I read recently that it was a made up fabricated story. How sad that they would write such a thing just to deceive John Q Public. Originally was going to rate this a five star but since hearing this news, I have downgraded to one star.
on November 3, 2011
This book was a disapointment to me, I had expected more of a book such as "Heaven is for Real" which went into a young boy's experiance in heaven. This book may get into it later in the book but after reading half of it I got bored with the preaching and quit reading it.
Before you get me wrong, as a cancer survivior plus a few other life threatening problems, I do know the power of God's love and His healing power and thank Him every day for His love.
My problem with this book is just as you get into the story of the book, the author goes into another semon which lasts a page or two. This completely takes you away from their story and plot.
I guess if you are in need to be reminded of God's love in a story, please go ahead and read this, but if you are looking for an interesting story and God's love I recommend, "Heaven is for Real".
on January 27, 2013
I love it! My aunt gave me references of this book. I was passing thought a hard situation at that time. My daughter got sick she had a rash, then she stated getting swollen, she is 2 years old and she got to the point that she was unable to walk, sit and hardly move, she was so in pain that we cant even touch her. Took her to the doctors 3 times and then they said she had the fifth disease. With pain medication she was till worsen. I didnt knew what to do. I was feeling dome for that many time I went to the hospital and they make me think that was normal for that disease. The ninth day took her again she was looking better but unable to walk. They told me to take her to emergency room for farther testing. Over there I found out that she had kawasaki disease. And if this illness it's not treated within 10days can cause major damage. Lucky it was detected on time. This book was very helpful. Sometimes you think that's it's a hard time, and somebody else want to be in your shoes. Am glad that you all decide to write this book. GOD BLESS! And I too believe that Alex it's going to get full recovered. GOD HAVEN'T GO THIS FAR TO LEAVE IT INCOMPLETE!!!
on August 25, 2015
Not as well written or believable as "Heaven is for Real", which is understandable considering since I ordered and read this, the boy in the story has recanted. Even before being exposed as a sham, it wasn't worth the reading time.