Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2006, 12:05:22 PM PST
Baseball Fan says:
Here's a thought to protest Bonds home run "record" this year. Boycott Giants games. When the Giants come to your town, DO NOT attend the games. Burn your tickets. This is disgraceful, and if Major League Baseball refuses to give Bonds a lifetime suspension and expunge his numbers. We the fans must have our say. BOYCOTT BONDS

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 12:18:03 PM PST
Michael Wasz says:
We, as baseball fans, should boycott MLB until the steroid/drug policy adheres more closely to that of the World Anti-Doping Agency, where Barry's arsenal of illegal drugs would have him not only removed from the sport, but also brought into court to face some jail time.

MLB created this monster and lets him roam free...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 4:23:59 PM PST
A. L. S. says:
Screw that! Should we do the same to Giambi, Conseco, McGuire, Rafael Palmero, Ivan Rodriguez, Sosa, Miguel Tejada.... What about the almighty Roger Clemens?? Only a few of these man have admitted taking steroids - the rest of them is just speculation. Should we protest them ALL because of speculation??
I know Bonds is in the spotlight on this one, but come on, there are plenty of others to point the finger at too.
Treat them all the same, with the same punishment.
Besides, you haven't even read the book yet!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 5:26:41 PM PST
Baseball Fan says:
Bonds is poised to break a record that has stood for a very long time with the help of chemicals. He's an embarrasment to the game. He's still in the game unlike many of the players you mention. What a disgrace. Since he won't quit, we as baseball fans must boycott him. That is ONLY answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 6:52:24 PM PST
D. HART says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 9:09:59 PM PST
A. Castle says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 9:27:35 PM PST
That doesn't matter. These guys have all cheated at a sport that is at the heart of America. I have been saying, since the story broke about Bonds, that he should have come clean and admitted to steroid use early.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 10:09:30 PM PST
K. Kelly says:
every yr some1 has to find someway to pick and focus on Bonds. When they can't find anything they bring up the past. Other players have allegally done it as well but are they in the newspaper every day because of it? No. Reporters just hate Bonds and the Giants. The people who wrote this book are only tryin to make a quick buck on a dead topic.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2006, 10:25:29 PM PST
Here's a question to not only baseball fans, but all Americans. What happened to that whole innocent until proven guilty thing? Bonds has never failed a drug test unlike Ricardo Rincon, but everybody believed that Rincon's flunked test was an "honest mistake." These two authors were upset they did not win a Pulitzer in 1998 and the San Francisco Chronicle would not let them report all of this information they have had for a long time, maybe that is because these two schmucks did not have the required proof. Where they in the locker room? Did they see him inject himself? Maybe Jeff Kent told them, he is a reliable source right? When will Bonds be left alone and the focus be put on another suspected hero. that's right Lance Armstrong. I do not thing syringes were ever found in Barry's hotel room, I do not think Barry ever had one of his former co-workers say that he doped. I mean neither Conte nor Anderson came out and said they gave steroids to him. Let's believe Barry's mistress I am sure she is credible, she has no reason to get even with him. When Bonds fails a drug test respond to this post, until then enjoy watching Bonds move ever closer to 715, and if anybody feels the urge to burn their tickets cause Bonds is in town, I will pay double face value.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 6:31:23 AM PST
A. Castle says:
AMEN!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 8:23:01 AM PST
JillS says:
Why do people ALWAYS try to take the focus off Barry by bringing up other athletes? The truth is steroids are wrong PERIOD.

I don't care who does it, it's wrong. Stop making "poor Barry" excuses and pointing the finger at someone else....

I don't hate Barry or the Giants. I just hate what he has done to the game.

What Barry (and anyone else that takes steroids) does is WRONG..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 9:22:00 AM PST
Michael Wasz says:
BARRY BONDS ADMITTED TO A GRAND JURY THAT HE DID THIS!

This isn't speculation. This isn't sour grapes. This isn't a witch hunt.

It is fact. He admitted it. His admissions got out, and now Bonds has no recourse but to lie about what HE SAID UNDER OATH!

Stop blathering on about Pulitzer Prizes, vendettas and what wasn't found.

You are wrong. So is Bonds.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 9:26:17 AM PST
Well, maybe you're right. The thing is, these reporters interviewed over 200 witnesses and listened to hours of Grand Jury testimony for information that fills the pages of this book. If this book is full of falsehoods, then they should get a dozen liable lawsuits thrown at them. I doubt that is going to happen , though. When Canseco's book "Juiced" came out, I thought for sure that one of the players named (McGuire) would sue, but apparently that's not going to happen!
At least Palmiero came clean, so to speak.
Would you like to take your son to a game where cheaters play to win?
Sets a bad example, I think. If Bonds was a man, he would have admitted to the use of performance enhancing drugs at least two years ago. Be a man Barry.
I've been a rabid Baseball fan all of my life, and to see the Game being tarnished by these drugs is heartbreaking. This is THE ONE SPORT in America where honesty and integrity need to be upheld. Unfortunatily, Selig and company have turned a blind eye to the whole thing, That's a shame. What's even worse, the fans are just a much to blame as the players, maybe more so. We all suppressed the rumors when these guys turned into hitting machines just a few short years ago.
We as fans can't allow these events to continue in the world of pro sports. Credibility will just totally go out the window. Testing and suspensions don't go nearly far enough. Pro sports needs to be almost militaristic on clamping down on performance enhancing drug use. This would help.
But, alas, they might not want to dg too deeply for fear of what they might uncover.
Who wants to go to a game and pay to watch cheaters play?
Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 9:38:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2006, 9:39:58 AM PST
Michael Wasz says:
I agree with you, L.S. Steroid/drug abuse in baseball is ruining the games. The records, stats, acheivements, etc. mean nothing anymore. The only stat that will begin to matter is how illegally far a guy is willing to go to be the "best."

As far as suing goes, when "Juiced" came out and when they asked Bonds yesterday about this book, (Mr. "I'm not gonna read the book.") the first words out of his mouth should have been..."I'm going to sue them."

Why didn't you hear that? Because these guys did their homework. If you want to hear an interview they did here in Chicago yesterday, here's the link... http://www.670thescore.com/includes/news_items/1/774/markfainaruwada.mp3 (If this is cut off, visit 670thescore.com and the link is on the front page.)

I highly recommend listening between 2p-6p CST (online). Dan Bernstein and Terry Boers have been at the forefront here in Chicago in a quest to reveal the truth about the athletes who are cheating sports/fans. Sosa, McGuire, Palmeiro, I-Rod, and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 10:21:46 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2006, 10:38:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 10:40:15 AM PST
A. L. S. says:
Fact is - Giants fans (of which I am one, obviously) are loyal will support their team. What I'm sad about is the rest of the Giants team, who are great, and who are never talked about because of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 11:19:53 AM PST
DieHard Joe says:
My understanding was that a majority of the information contained in the book came directly from the Grand Jury hearings, meaning that this was sworn testimony, including by Bonds himself. Can people commit perjury? Sure. But at some point people have to stop pretending that all this is pure specualtion. It's not. All your comments regarding the other people mentioned in your Email could be 100% correct, they certainly can be doubted, but don't let that lack of credibility be a basis for ignoring the facts from the grand jury.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 1:55:47 PM PST
Michael Wasz says:
Fact is - Giants fans (of which you are one,) obliviously support your team's players despite the truth that is presented before you.

Blind loyalty is great, until someone opens your eyes.

Take a peek...go ahead...see for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2006, 2:16:07 PM PST
I think what most people are missing here is the fact that the commisioner the GMs and all the players that are against steroisd use had no trouble reaping the benefits of increased attendance, revenue and media coverage. in fact they knew it was a problem and did nothing except promote these players Sosa and mcgwire then bonds to draw national and world attention then sit back and cash checks. funny how bud selig all at once became concerned when the FBI alerted the MLB to the problem 20 years ago. so maybe we should boycott all MLB games why you are at it read the post about Lance armstrong everyones favorite hero if you think he wasnt doping then we are all sadly misled. i am a bonds fan but have never been naive enough to think he wasnt taking some type of supplement or legal or illegal. just look at some of these guys they look like linebackers

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 8:40:25 AM PST
I don't think the "He never got caught" argument is a valid one, particularly due to the fact that he never had to take a steroids test. It's pretty easy to say you never failed a test if you never had to take one. Let's be done with it and have him undergo testing for a while. If he passes, he's off the hook. If not, he should be gone. This also goes for every other major league player. I have no problem with his statements, but given what he's done and how he looks, the rule of "Trust, but verify" should come into play.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 4:39:59 PM PST
Zen says:
I second that!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 5:03:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2006, 5:04:53 PM PST
Why don't we boycot this book? I thought Grand Jury testimony was supposed to be sealed. The only people we know for sure have done something illegal is Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams. They have breached documents that are supposed to be protected. Let's also not forget he has never been convicted of a single thing. I think it is a good question to ask why Congress didn't talk to him. Maybe because they knew everything they needed too. I am all for banning him if something can be proved, but this is just a couple of guys trying to make a couple of bucks through reporting on documents they are not even suppose to have access too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 8:05:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2010, 9:55:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 8:07:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2010, 9:56:17 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2006, 8:13:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2010, 9:56:06 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
Game of Shadows
Game of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada (Audio CD - March 23, 2006)
4.1 out of 5 stars (149)