Boye Crochet Dude Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Handle
|Price:||$6.67 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details|
|You Save:||$1.22 (15%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- BOYE-Crochet Dude Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Handle
- It fits all hook sizes from B/2mm to K/6.5mm. . Imported
- This package contains one 4-1/2 inch long handle with eight washers in assorted sizes
This item is available because of the Add-on program
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
BOYE-Crochet Dude Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Handle. Use this tool to get a better handle on a crochet hook while working on any project! It fits all hook sizes from B/2mm to K/6.5mm. This package contains one 4-1/2 inch long handle with eight washers in assorted sizes. Imported.
Top customer reviews
I should say that I only have a couple of Boye hooks, all too large for this handle. So I am using different brands of hooks and I am sure that Boye designed these specifically for their hooks. While there are generally only subtle differences in brands with similar styles of hook, any little difference could affect how the washer from this fit. That said it did mostly work with my Susan Bates and generic bamboo hooks.
Let's start with the negatives:
- The material that this is made of holds onto everything. Set it down where one of your hairs or the cat's or dog's fur is and it will pick it up and hold onto it.
- The color chart. There are several washers that are basically the same color and the coloring on the charts themselves makes it tough to determine what you're looking at. The only reason you can tell these specific washers apart is because they're the opposite end of the available size charts so the holes are visibly larger or smaller.
- Some hooks may fall in between the specific sizes on the washers - if one is too tight and the next one too large, you'll have to decide if you want to put a lot of effort squeezing it in to the smaller washer or easily sliding it into the larger washer and facing the hook wobbling in the handle some.
- Since this does target people with hand issues, it could be tough to set up. The little notch of plastic that catches to open and close it is small and the same color as the rest of the plastic. It can be tricky to both open and close
- It is definitely more friendly to your hands than using hooks alone (That's why you're considering this item, right?).
- If you have a tendency to set your hook down and forget where -- this will make it much easier to find.
- If you primarily use the larger hooks that fit in this handle they work the best / move around the least in the handle. The k (6.5mm) hook almost doesn't need it's washer.
- Will take some getting used to, especially if you've been crocheting a long time with hooks alone
- Not exactly well made. This can turn into a negative later. I've attached a picture that show how the rubber that is on top of the plastic was not flush but instead kind of ragged. Also the green piece is basically pulling away from the plastic part -- and that's with no real use beyond a few practice stitches with each hook size.
If you're patient enough to sort of tweak the washers around to get the right fit (or find your own washer alternative) and don't mind it being a bit tough to set up, this is a good tool. It's not perfect and feels like a slight redesign is in order but it does do the job.
*EDIT* I've changed my review from 3 stars to 2. It's just too awkward to use. The hooks move around too much, I've now tried it with a Boye brand hook and they didn't work any better than the others I have. A nice concept, it just doesn't work well.
I started having hand problems in the early 90s. I had it all! Soreness, numbness, tingling and sharp shooting pains with certain hand movements such as the kind you subconsciously do while crocheting. After all the surgeries it finally came down to having to leave my job and learn something new and stop my beloved crocheting. The hooks were too small for me to grasp. Such as it was until about ten years ago when I decided to pick up my hooks and resume the one thing that brings me total happiness! But again, the hooks, while not having used them for a great period of time, were still too small.
My husband bought me entire sets of hooks with larger handles which gave me relief but still slowed down my activity with the yarns. Then I saw this handy little item in a catalog. Being a longtime customer of Amazon I naturally had too look this up. Not only a great value for the price but also much less inexpensive that the catalog price.
Not knowing what to expect my handle arrived. I immediately grabbed my hook and tore my package open. The only thing that could be improved upon is the instructions for usage. I quickly figured it out though and got the hook placed in the handle and picked a pattern and yarn and set to crochet away.
Okay, right away, the handle fits nice and snug in your hand. The upper part of the handle, the green portion, is perfect! This is where you'll grip the handle the most. You'll notice that you can create your stitches much more easily. You'll find it much easier to keep tension on your yarn with your other hand because you're not concentrating on the pain in your hook hand wrist. You'll see your personal "crochet style" return with nice even, flat stitches. The handle is so comfortable you'll soon forget your even using it because once again your focus is on your chosen pattern and your piece progresses as it used to.
Changing hook size is easy and quick for those who work up a pattern that requires two or more hooks for completion. I even crocheted up a small pouch to keep my washers in so I wouldn't lose them. I cut the tiny washer color from the back of the package and dropped it into the pouch as well. When changing hooks I just quickly glance at the chart to see which color washer goes with which size hook and its just that easy!
I love this handle so much I bought a second and I'm seriously thinking of buying a third! Chances are you'll love the handle just as much! I've used Boye hooks for years so I've already had faith that any product with the Boye label is made with a quality you can trust. Amazon, of course, has made it easy to get the crochet accessories from the company you love! So, seriously, if you suffer that pain of repetitive motion do yourself a favor and just try this handle out! Bet you'll be buying a second too!
The Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Hook Handle is amazing, though! The instructions were easy to follow and makes crochet hooks from "B" (2.25mm) to "K" (6.5mm) easy and comfortable to hold with the help of various sized "washers" that help steady the hook within the handle. I can finally crochet during a whole television show or movie without having to "shake out" even once! I feel so much more productive - what a relief!
I will be purchasing another of these for my mother who has similar carpal tunnel issues, but doesn't want to stop her charity crocheting projects, and would recommend to anyone and everyone who has a hard time holding those little tiny hooks - the Boye Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Hook Handle is quite a resourceful tool.