Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 128 reviews
on February 21, 2014
As an avid reader of the Ask A Clean Person column, I have been waiting for this book with bated breath! Jolie Kerr gets down to the nitty-grits of cleaning and breaks it all down in manageable tasks with hilarious asides. I, for one, will devour every single thing she ever writes. I mean that in a totally clean, non-creepy way.
on September 29, 2015
Jolie Kerr writes so interestingly, even about barf, that it sucked when the book ended. I also got some great streamlining my cleaning ideas. While I'm still not going to get on my hands and knees and scrub I can understand why a modern person would want to. I would love to have her come to my house, though, and teach me how to clean. She'd be horrified, but I have some weird things she didn't address because I have two boys.
on December 29, 2014
This book is so fantastic! Learn how to (and not to) combine simple household products to clean just about anything. Jolie has a good sense of humor & a wry look at her own 'addiction' to cleaning. I hate to clean, but she gives easy ways to go about tackling overall jobs, as well as specific problems. Many cleaning ideas i had figured out on my own, but some are new twists & some just perfect to have in the back of your mind, should they occur. Not long after reading this, my husband spilled purple grape juice on our down comforter in our trailer. i went right to the section on cleaning wine spills & told him what to do until he could get the comforter home a couple days later. i then followed up with Jolie's recipe, & voila'! no stain was left behind. This book would make an excellent gift for a "first time out on your own" person, or even someone that is already OCD about cleaning. This book quickly became a favorite reference!
on January 31, 2015
Can a how-to about cleaning be chock full of useful tips and funny? The short answer is a resounding yes! The longer one is that Jolie Kerr manages to deliver a no-nonsense but chuckle inducing step-by-step home cleaning guide for the masses with 'My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag...' - a title that by itself is attention grabbing and fun.

It's not often that how-to's are reviewed on T.T.P., and this is the first none-wedding planning title to make the cut, but it needed to be shared. Kerr's slightly self deprecating, tell it like it is style makes you feel as though your getting advice from a good friend and not reading it because your a disaster of a thirty-something whose never heard of laundry bluing and the amazing thing it does for your whites.

Bottom Line: If you've ever found yourself at a lose when faced with a mess, a yellowed shirt or just need affirmation that your using the right stuff on your floors, this slightly off-kilter guide should be in your arsenal. Doesn't matter if you consider yourself a clean freak or a slob, this one gets a T.T.P. guarantee. You'll like it, and you might even pick up a few new tricks for keeping the kipple* at bay.

*For those that need a definition, well, it is my humble opinion that you should read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' Really. Add it to your list now. Thank me in the comments later. In the meantime, the definition as provided by Urban Dictionary:
Kipple is a word coined by the remarkable science fiction writer Philip K. Dick. It refers to the sinister type of rubbish which simply builds up without any human intervention. Eventually, one day, the entire world will have moved to a state of kipplization.
on July 11, 2015
This book is going to be my cleaning bible. I did a deep clean of my apartment this weekend and things look better than when I moved in! I turned my duvet cover bright white again (pre-soak in OxiClean!), got rid of pit stains in my white shirts (ditto), and got the grease off of my step stool that hangs out by the stovetop.

Also my red patent leather shoe with the paint scuff on the side? Magic eraser. Who knew?!

Thank you Jolie!!
on June 8, 2015
The characters are all cleaning supplies of methods of cleaning so I guess one must say, Developed AND complex! I am a person who CLEANS and yet gleaned many many an important tip from this book delivered with a lovely droll sense of humor. Did you know for instance that using MORE laundry detergent does nothing to improve the cleanliness of your clothes. In fact your washed items become a receptacle for bacteria because of it. To unearth this little secret and so so many others, read her book. You will get some chuckles along the way as well.
on July 20, 2016
No plot here, this is a how-to on cleaning. But what a life-saver it has been. I am already an acknowledged Laundry Goddess, (if I can't get the stain out, then throw out the garment, because NO ONE else can), but I learned some things from this book. I did actually read the whole thing, and will likely send it to my daughter. With her messy toddler, she needs the advice!
on September 1, 2015
This is a great "how to clean your house" book. I bought it for my daughter when she moved into her first apartment. The author's writing style is breezy and funny. I rated it as "some sexual content" because she talked about getting semen stains out of your good sheets. Which Heloise never mentioned, to my knowledge. :)
on April 16, 2014
Jolie's writing is so charming as to be able to compel a generation of slobs to make our beds every day, deep-clean our kitchens and bathrooms, and all those other things no one ever taught us to do. I've followed her from the earliest days of the column, because her delightful personality shines through the page so it really feels like it's a good friend advising you how to clean the headlining in your car, rather than a how-to book. Jolie is cheerful, encouraging, and incredibly informative, all in a way that's entertaining enough that I read this in the bubble bath with no intent to clean anything (though of course I was excited enough after that I definitely got down with some Oxyclean). Can't recommend highly enough. Buy a copy for everyone you know!
on December 29, 2014
I love Jolie Kerr. If you've read any of her columns (aggregated at joliekerr.tumblr.com) you know that she combines irreverent wit with immensely practical advice. I despise cleaning, yet she somehow manages to inspire me to scrub. This book exceeded my already high expectations. I actually read it straight through because it was so entertaining. I've given it twice as a gift and turned both recipients into worshippers in the Church of Jolie.