Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 697 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 795 reviews
on April 13, 2012
This album is so good, the best $5 I have spent in years. I don't normally write reviews on music - music is subjective and you need to listen for yourself to decide, but this album is so different and refreshing from what most are doing right now, I feel compelled to promote it.

Forgive me for the comparison, but this album sounds like Otis Redding and Janice Joplin had a daughter backed up by Duane Allman. Brittany Howard's vocals are flat out amazing - thank god she didn't end up singing American Idol generica, I am sure there are producers who would have loved to snap her up and steer her that way.

Please listen to this album, buy it, tell your friends - that's the only way to keep this kind of music going. The album's first track, "Hold On" is, in my humble opinion, the only track with a radio-friendly hook, so I don't expect any other tracks will get much air-time, but here's hoping.
55 comments| 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2013
I see that Amazon has corrected the misinformation on this page. So I'm changing my rating to 5 stars. I love the CD and The Alabama Shakes, but I was REALLY PO'd when Amazon misrepresented this Movie Marrs CD offering as "We All Raise Our Voices to the Air".

Alabama Shakes is a folk - rock - blues synthesis band which uses a lot of licks from such hill country blues greats as R.L. Burnside as well as all the down home 60's rock and folk instrumentals we all love. Their voices are perfect together and everything about this CD shines.
on December 14, 2012
I am old, and I have way too many CDs. Yet I buy new ones weekly, and when I listen to them, I wonder why. Even if they are really good, they'll never crack my play list, and after a while, they will be forgotten.

Then, along comes Alabama Shakes, to remind me of why I buy new music: So I don't miss something like this. On the first listen, I knew I'd be playing this disk over and over for the remainder of my days.

Experienced listeners will note R&B hooks that date back to the beginning and before, but tempered by jazz, swampwater blues, Americana, and... is that The Strokes? With all these recognizable influences, the songwriting still manages to be fresh. How can people this young understand this much about American music?

With a singer happily described by another reviewer as the love child of Otis Redding and Janis Joplin, Alabama Shakes is the most promising new band I have heard in a long time.

PLAY IT LOUD!!
on January 3, 2013
Alabama Shakes is yet another discovery I made in a very fruitful year of 2012!

Having enjoyed Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, I've kinda accidentily stumbled upon this band...I gave it a try and wasn't dissapointed!

They are a band that you'd expect to hear in a good ole coffee-shop or a jazz\blues saloon!

They've got the groove and vibe of the 60s Motown era SOUL, Blues and Rythm & Bass!

The sound of the instruments is very vintage and analog-ish! The vocalist has a kinda Tina Turner meets Aretha Franklin and Janis Joplin kinda voice which suits the music PERFECTLY!

Overall I'm pretty much pleased with my purchase, despite the package was very late...

Good quality vinyl and polygraphy, all clean and tidy mint manufactured in the USA + a nice bonus 7" vinyl 45 with 3 additional extra songs and a download code!

For a price like that, I can say it's one of my best buys!

Give it a try, it's a new band, but trust me if you're an OLD SCHOOL SOUL, if you realy dig the 60s stuff, you will absolutely LOVE this one!
on June 15, 2012
I know I've heard all of these songs before or at least these types of songs but . . . something's different. It's like all the best elements of music from the likes of the Rolling Stones, Etta James, Janis Joplin, the Beatles, Sonic Youth and many more were somehow transmogrified (sorry, I had to use that word) into new songs in an entirely new way. Brittany Howard brings a raw emotion along with the talent to lift each song up like a wave rising out of the ocean and expressing every high and low with genuine feeling and unbelievable rhythm. The band ain't too shabby either. They do a heck of a job integrating their instruments into Howard's vocals. Without them Howard would still sound pretty good but the band adds a ton of dynamics to the songs. The sound of the guitars on this release are classic and simple. I can imagine the amps used were some type of throwback variety. The drums sound very raw but clear and especially outstanding during the verse/bridge of Rise to the Sun. The bass sounds great and the organ is a perfect addition.

I listen to every song, over and over with the exception of Heartbreaker. For some reason it sounds like meandering circus music. It'd be all right if was about half as long but for what it is I can't get through the whole thing.

If you're thinking of getting Boys and Girls, get it. It's pretty transcendent stuff.
on February 20, 2017
What can you say about that voice? I love this band and getting this album was like an extra dessert after dinner.
on June 22, 2016
This is a great CD, fuzzy R&B belted out by Brittany Howard. The distortion on the first track is intentional, evidently to simulate amp buzzing. I listen to clips of a lot of CD's before I buy, and this is one of the few good ones. The sound is generally fine for this type of music, perhaps not audiophile quality, but certainly not objectionable.
on September 5, 2015
I purchased this as a present for a friend who absolutely loves Alabama Shakes. And in turn, I ended up loving Alabama Shakes myself.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to listen to the sound on vinyl as I gave it away. But thanks to autorip I can listen to the mp3 files. I love purchasing vinyls that come with autorip, it's like getting a 2-for-1.

They captured such a soulful sound which I love (and even my dad was confused that they are a relatively new band because of the reminiscence of an older soulful time).

I love the whole album, but some of my favorite songs include:
Hold On
I Found You
Heartbreaker
On Your Way
on September 4, 2015
I enjoy the music, but this is a really bad recording of the best song on the album...... Hold On.
Toward the last minute of the song it's almost too bad to listen to. I get the artistic part of introducing distortion, but this is too much. The entire spectrum of audio is distorted with an annoying buzz clear through to the end of the song. I've seen them in concert and heard the song on You-Tube versions and it's not there.
Really poor job on the part of the producer of this album. I thought I may have received a bad cut, but the 2nd CD from Amazon sounded the same.
Too bad, it's a great album otherwise.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I tuned into Alabama Shakes from their rocking track "Always Alright" on the Silver Linings Playbook (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) CD. This CD opens with the addictive "Hold On" with its positive feel about overcoming adversity, "So bless my heart, bless my mind, I got so much to do, I ain't got much time." "I Found You" also pops with a retro sound based in a roots rock mold, "I remember all them days I waited so patiently until God brought someone who's gonna be good to me, and he blessed my soul." As a singer, Brittany Howard pulses huge amounts of emotion into her songs like "Heartbreaker." "Be Mine" is another riveting track with the band giving Howard a punchy backdrop on which she laces her vocals, "All them ladies don't know you like I do, that's why I call you my baby." All tracks are strong including "Rise to the Sun" & the final two tracks "I Ain't the Same" & "On Your Way." This is a band can blow the roof off the house. Don't miss it! Enjoy!