Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
* His first ever live DVD * Filmed in high definition video * Mixed in stereo and surround sound * Bonus features include extra track, 15 minute documentary, and photo gallery From his early days with the Steve Miller Band, to his smash hits as a solo performer, Boz Scaggs has been a respected musician for decades. Greatest Hits Live features Scaggs in concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, and as Scaggs himself says, "It's not just any band that can pull off this song list." From the jazz-tinged "Harbor Lights," to the desperately blue "Loan Me a Dime," to hit songs including "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle," Greatest Hits Live provides a powerful overview of the artist's most recognized work.
2. Slow Dancer
3. Heart of Mine
4. It All Went Down the Drain
5. Harbor Lights
7. Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' but the Blues
8. Breakdown Dead Ahead
9. Look What You've Done To Me
10. I Just Go
12. Miss Sun
13. Lido Shuffle
14. Runnin' Blues
15. Loan Me a Dime
16. We're All Alone
Singer-songwriter-guitarist Boz Scaggs has kept a fairly low profile since his heyday in the '70s and '80s--a circumstance more than rectified with Greatest Hits Live, a great-looking, great-sounding concert recorded in San Francisco in 2004. For the most part, this is Silk Degrees-style Boz, drawing from a large catalog that favors ballads (some quite lovely, like "Harbor Lights," "We're All Alone," and "Look What You've Done to Me") and deft pop-R&B-jazz à la Steely Dan (albeit with more soul and less verbal wit and sophistication). But while "Lido Shuffle," and other expected hits are here, so are several grittier, bluesier moments, including Earl King's "It All Went Down the Drain" and extended versions of the big band blues "Runnin' Blue" and the slow lament "Loan Me a Dime" (a tune from Scaggs's 1969 solo album that featured great guitar playing by the late Duane Allman). With a fine band, 16 songs, a running time that approaches two hours, some of the best DVD sound you'll ever hear, and crisp, clear visuals, Greatest Hits Live is a portrait of a veteran, durable artist who's still in his prime. --Sam Graham
- Tracks: Lowdown, Slow Dancer, Heart of Mine, It All Went Down the Drain, Harbor Lights, Jojo, Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' but the Blues, Breakdown Dead Ahead, Look What You've Done to Me, I Just Go, Georgia, Miss Sun, Lido Shuffle, Runnin' Blues, Loan Me a Dime, We're All Alone
- Photo gallery
- Behind-the-scenes documentary
- Bonus track: Harbor Lights
Top customer reviews
I've always liked Boz Scaggs radio play music, but wasn't a real serious fan. Well, this DVD has absolutely changed all of that!
I can't get enough of this concert. Every aspect of this DVD, visually and musically, blows my mind, with it's craftsmanship and understated style. It opens with the coolest rendition of the mega hit "Lowdown", and you think, where can it go from here? Well, let me tell ya', that was just the warmup. Pour yourself a good glass of wine, sit back, and enjoy the show.
Boz Scaggs is one of those artists who has worked hard at his craft over the years, and has managed to gather together some staggering talent for this night. I'd never fully appreciated his rich, signature voice, his skill as a singer, or the quality of his songs and musical compositions, and it's been such a treat to discover a new favorite.
The band is top tier, and the perfect filming and editing put me right there to watch these pros at work. This show is tight and properly rehearsed, but with room for rock, jazz, and blues improvisation as the evening moves along. Some of the solos and grooves that are being laid down are jaw dropping. And I'll admit to some heavy infatuation with the lovely backup singers, Barbara Wilson and Monet'. They are magic together, especially on "Jojo" and "Breakdown Dead Ahead". And if you don't shed a tear at their harmonies at the close of "Look What You've Done To Me", you have no soul. There are ten people up on that stage, and that potential is used to the fullest.
I was also unaware of what an accomplished blues singer and guitar player Boz is. It seems like the blues may be his true calling. His version of Fenton Robinson's, "Somebody Loan Me A Dime", is beyond words.
Boz Scaggs' stage persona is low key, relaxed, and very cool, like the experienced old dog that he is. He leads the band with subtle gestures, and accepts applause with humility. He's a likeable soul, as are all of the band members, and they are all obviously enjoying "this special night".
Looking forward to sharing this with friends some evening. Should be a hit.
The concert DVD to which all others must be compared.
I had them wound up as far as they could go and all I got was a little clapping, what about a little ambiance??
The whole surround music thing seems to be dying so I am glad I kept my two channel system......!
Also great recording, sound engineering and visual production.
I feel like I need Tony The Tiger to come in and sum up. But, anyway, you get the idea. A must have concert for any Boz fan, and a great place to start for anyone else.
The performance and the audio and video quality are superb. The use of HD cameras clearly shows. Having both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio on the DVD is fantastic. I wish every DVD would do that. The DTS is clearly the winner. DTS puts you front row center with a presence that Dolby can't match.
This DVD is best experienced on a large-screen HDTV with DTS 5.1 audio. It's as close to being at a live Boz performance as you can get. Nothing can beat a live Boz performance, but the DVD is clearly the next best thing. However, whatever your TV and audio setup, you've got to have this DVD in your music video collection.
Boz just gets better with age, and seeing and hearing his greatest hits as he performs them "live" is like hearing them for the first time. It would be impossible for me to pick one song on the DVD as my favorite. They're all great.
Boz' voice is haunting, but it's not just his voice that makes him a unique jewel. His songs are original and magnificent in their lyrics and musicality. In today's world of sound-alike, interchangeable performers, there's no one else like Boz Scaggs.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Blues > Contemporary Blues
- CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock > Album-Oriented Rock (AOR)
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Contemporary
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Singer-Songwriters
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Soft Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Vocal Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > R&B > Soul
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock > Blues Rock
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > TV