Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on March 28, 2017
Sorry Matt F. I found this one had some good info but was hard to get through. Matt writs good books but this one lost me.
on April 12, 2014
I have been bitten by the running bug since I decided to use running to improve my fitness. I've always been athletic, but the one thing I was never good at was running. Having finished the Couch-2-5K, I was interested in learning how to properly continue my training. This is my sixth book, and while I was excited about some of the concepts (running at desired paces versus feeling your way to a pace), most of the book is dedicated to training plans. This is odd to me for two reasons. 1) There is a strong emphasis placed on flexibility and adapting training to the individual. Why then give 4 chapters over to plans for 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, and marathons? As someone with no desire to ever run halfs or full marathons, that's wasted space. But also, the plans don't fit my lifestyle or needs. 2) Although the author spends a fair amount of time talking about how accessible this method is for everyone, he clearly only means those who are already successful runners. Case in point, the entire program is predicated on the slowest 5k finish time being a little over 30 minutes. Really??? That seems pretty absurd given the number of articles and books I've read about how the average runner is somewhere around 12-13 minutes per mile.

If the goal is to give people information to train smarter and harder, to improve their speed through diligence and pace specificity, why eliminate such a large group of people? I was very disappointed after reading through everything to get to the training section and realize I was a full 15 minutes slower than the lowest TPL. Having no way to create an additional 20+ levels, there is no way I could follow this plan even if I wanted to. I really wish runners and trainers would remember that not everyone is trying to run a 5k in 15 minutes. Some of us just want to get to our own personal best. Even if that is a very slow 40 minutes...
on December 13, 2015
I liked M. Fitzgerald's other advice but this book didn't do much for me. The underlying concept of running better by outsmarting one's own brain to go beyond normal fatigue levels is really reaching.
on May 11, 2015
I've heard all these theories from other authors. I expected something that was ground breaking, more content on psychology, not on physiology.
on August 11, 2014
I didn't like the book. It is monotonous, repetitious and shallow. What's worse, it does not deliver what it's title implies. Every chapter and section seems to be preparing you for the next chapter where you would find real meat. Nevertheless, it never happens, because the next chapter is also promissing something for the next one. And so it goes, on and on.

It is a pity, because there is a promess in this brain training thing. I most certainly believe in the concept that what governs your failure and success is your mind. In large measure, your body just responds to what your mind thinks is possible, and prepares you to make possible.

Also, I like Tim Noakes works a lot. Perhaps because he wrote the preface, I expected much more from the book. But, the book is only a vague promess that never turns good. Not worth reading.