Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on June 21, 2017
This is a fascinating tale of how companies brand their products and celebrities brand themselves and how we consumers fall hook, line and sinker for their psychological marketing tricks. Put simply, from the Pepsi we drink to the Prius we drive, we are brandwashed suckers. And even when you know how the wizard behind the curtain is doing this, you'll still buy your favorite products. Author Martin Lindstrom is branding expert, so the secrets he reveals are sometimes his own.

The book is a bit dated--it was published in 2011--but that doesn't matter much. The truths are still the same. (Perhaps even more so!)

• Find out why you're more likely to buy a perfume with a celebrity name, why you buy "green" products (and why you don't) and why you still buy the toothpaste you used as a child.

• Find out how companies actually sell HOPE--and we believe it and then buy it and pay a lot for it.

• Find out how all stores--from clothing to grocery--play carefully programmed music that encourages you to buy more.

• Find out how credit card companies can tell from the stuff you buy whether you are more or less likely to pay the bill.

• Find out how companies keep track of your every move--from those ubiquitous loyalty cards to cookies on your computer. (And Lindstrom is writing about what they did in 2009! Imagine how much more sophisticated it is now!) And why do they do this? Simple! To make money--your money that you spend. It's called data mining, and it means that companies know not only how much you make and your education level, but also (are you ready for this?) your motivations behind what you buy. The goal is to predict what you will buy--and then get you to actually do it. A quote from the book: "The typical shopper has no idea how much he or she is being monitored." Indeed.

This is an eye-opening book for even the savviest of consumers.
on January 13, 2016
I loved the infusion of behavioral economics...given a choice, people behave in a manner consistent with their attitude. So learning the tricks that companies use to shape our attitudes, in an easy-to-read, relatable manner was awesome. Wait, maybe I was manipulated into buying this book! :-)(Worth it, no doubt)
on January 7, 2016
Really changes the way you think about modern advertising and product design, by showing how the folks who are paid to design and market the goods you buy put A LOT of thought into every little aspect, and it's no accident you like certain products, or THINK you like them.
on March 19, 2016
I purchased this book for an English paper on subliminal persuasion in the media. This book is well written, informative and at times funny.
on April 6, 2016
Evil marketing tricks revealed, yep! As I suspected....and as you suspect, its all true and worse.
on April 3, 2017
I'm sure this book just barely scratches the surface of our post privacy world. Consider its lessons carefully and opt out of the manipulation machine.
on January 10, 2012
"Brandwashing" was introduced to me by a friend who was familiar with Martin Lindstrom's work. I read it fairly quickly (considering being a somewhat slow reader) because the book is written in a way that is almost Gladwellian, mixing concepts in with interesting stories. But however interesting they may be, they seem to get old somewhat quickly. Instead of using three or four longer stories within the context of a term, he uses 30-some examples, and at some point, you feel like saying, "I get it Martin, move on." Also, with no pun intended to the title of the book, the entire piece reads almost like a brainwashing book to try to get us to stop branding ourselves, which is quite impossible in today's world, as Martin briskly notes in his introduction. Only at the very very end does Martin bring it together and explain what this means to us, but it took over 250 pages to get to that point, unfortunately. In fact, for the majority of the book, I felt like I was reading Consumer Reports, with the crazy studies that they try to pass off as absolute fact to get you to change your behavior.

Don't get me wrong, this book is fascinating and eye-opening, to say the least, mixed with a best-selling author style of writing, as I know Martin brings to the table. I still give it four stars because of this and recommend it to those interested in the topic, but warn anyone buying it to take whatever is written with a grain of salt, rather than simply believing what's in writing, as many are susceptible to doing.
on July 9, 2015
Everyone should read this book and learn how we are being manipulated! You won't ever look at a commercial or advertisement the same way again!
on March 23, 2017
I'm enjoying this book. I've learned new things.
on April 2, 2017
This was a great peek into the tricks of the advertising trade. Written in an engaging, almost conspiratorial style, you can almost feel the author elbowing you in the ribs as he reveals the tricks used to ensnare us.