Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,494 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,792 reviews
on December 10, 2015
My one star rating has to do with Braun customer support. I bought this razor and I was very impressed with the quality of the product as well as the shave it provided. After 3 months of using the razor, I noticed that the battery started to leak. I contacted customer support and I provided a picture of where the battery was leaking (where the charger plugs in). I requested a replacement razor since this was clearly a manufacturer defect. The response was that they can't simply replace my razor and instead, I must send the razor to their service center where it will take 15 business days so that they can fix and send it back. I was quite disappointed to find out that Braun didn't supply a prepaid shipping label, so I had to pay to ship my razor to a Braun service center when I only had it for 3 months.

My razor was delivered to the service center on 11/6/15. It is now 12/10/15 and I still don't have my razor. I've contacted Braun customer support multiple times to try and get an update. Braun is unable to locate my razor and they are having issues communicating with their service center. So far, they are refusing to send me a replacement.

What's so disappointing is the fact that I really enjoyed the razor, but at this point, I'll never buy another Braun product again since I know they won't provide adequate support.
review image
4040 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2011
I've used a large number of shavers over the years... most recently Norelco, Remington, Panasonic, and the Braun 360 complete 8595.... the Series 7 790 is hands down the best of them...

In general the Norelco and Remington I would describe as ordinary. They get the job done with more time, louder, and tend to be rougher on my skin in general.

The Panasonic has a good feel to it and a definite step up from the ordinary brands, but is a little unusual, heavy, and a little cumbersome with the huge head.

When I got the Braun 360 complete, on first use I was very surprised about how it clearly was so far above the rest, zipping through a shave in a smooth way and having a fit and finish that was very high end. The Clean and Renew is no joke and gives a crisp fresh feel every time and is really not very expensive when taken in context.

I dropped my 360 and broke the on off slider, so time for a new shaver... Braun was so much better in the past, how could I not buy it?

I don't believe in spending the extra bucks on luggage, watches, and various other stuff.... but in shavers it pays off... Same thing when getting higher model Brauns... why skimp $30 and give features when you have already committed to getting a great product?

So I got the 7 - 790... I put in the cartridge, charged it and tried it out.. and I have to say, the 790 is clearly a full generation better than the 360, which I didn't think was possible. It shaves in an almost surgical instrument kind of way.

Myths:
-Clean and renew is expensive: In use the $4 clean and renew cartridges last about 6-8 weeks in 5 day a week use. I've seen crackpot ideas like refilling them with seabreeze (dumb as you aren't putting the right cleaner lubricant on your expensive shaver and it barely saves any money).
- An expensive shaver doesn't stack up to a quality razor. BS, this thing definitely gives a better shave than I ever got with a blade with a lot less mess or time and no cuts ever.
- An expensive shaver doesn't make sense with quality disposables being so cheap. BS also, to get in the ballpark quality wise, you would have to be buying $3 each disposables.... it only takes 4 months of blades to pay for a new shaver and a year of clean and renew packs.

Hints:
- shave a very dry face, before washing in the morning. your skin expands a lot when moisturized, drawing your beard in and making in inaccessible to the shaver and showing a shadow much quicker as your skin dries out later, forget shaving in or after the shower
- wake up first and shave at least 30 minutes later, not only will you be better at it, faces tend to be somewhat puffy from laying down and result in a poor shave
- after shaving before putting the shaver in the base, pop the foil off and tap it a couple of times in the trash to get most (probably 90%) of the beard out.. it keeps the clean and renew fluid much cleaner and makes it last much longer as the base does a 'thorough' clean much less often.

Reasons I'm glad I broke my 360 complete (if I had known these, I would have just bought the 790 anyway)
- the fit and finish of the 790 is very very high.... like museum watch high.. ultra cool looking and constructed product
- the shave quality is much better than the 360 complete... almost surgical in feel, hard to believe I know because I thought the 360 was about perfect
- the 790, while having the same size head, has a much thinner and easier to hold body, the older Brauns tend to be a little beefy
- it has push button on off.... the older ones had a combo switch / trimmer slider which always was a little awkward to use
- the 790's trimmer juts way out from the shaver allowing a much better view for trimming sideburns etc. a HUGE advantage.
- the 790 has a quick clean feature, so you can start a cleaning cycle without it taking the shaver out of commission for hours.
- the hair lifting bar is very very good now at avoiding in grown hairs... if you have this problem, this shaver is the only one I've ever found that is effective at reducing them.

one of the few products in the universe that doesn't disappoint in some way.... buy it.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 531 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2016
I've had this shaver for years and I am not very happy with it at all. The shaver is just okay. Shortly after buying mine the locking mechanism for the blade head broke and no longer locks. That I can deal with, the true failure of this product is the blade. It's downright awful for what you have to pay for it. They sell it as lasting 18 months or more, but honestly after replacing mine with a fresh blade I find it only works for about 3 months and then the shave becomes sub standard to say the least. When the blade is fresh and new it works great. I'd say 95% of a quality cut as with a razor, but then it quickly goes downhill from there. About a month in you will find yourself shaving for 2x as long as you did when the blade was new, into month 3 and it's over. It no longer cuts nearly as well.

I know there are some readers that say there is a choice in blades and that some are made in China. I've purchased my replacement blades from Walmart, the packaging says made in Germany, but I'm just not seeing the quality. Find yourself another razor that does not require $45 blades every 2-3 months.
on September 4, 2015
I bought the Braun Series 7- 790cc Electric Shaver just about 1 year ago and wanted to wait until I needed to replace the shaver head before reviewing it. Per the instructions the shaver head should wear out in one year of “normal” use. Since that is a bit hard to define I will just describe “MY normal use” and let you decide where you fit in.
FYI: I bought mine on sale for $166.99 on Amazon.

For the record I have thin light brown straight facial hair and cannot grow a good beard. Just Google “Keanu Reeves Beard” and you will get the idea. I can usually go the weekend with little more than what others call a 5 o’clock shadow.
I use the razor every weekday for about 10 to 15 minutes to shave my face and neck in full. I shave in the car on the way to work (shame) and I tend to leave the razor in the car for most of the week not on the charger. (More below)
I rarely use the razor on the weekends, maybe 2 or so times a month.

Ease of use:
It fits well in my average sized hands. The vibration is noticeable but not at all uncomfortable even after extended use. The tilting razor head works very well to work its way around face contours and never requires an awkward position to reach any part of my face or neck. The sideburn shaver is less well positioned and requires a mirror and a weird hand position to get it right, holding the razor upside down and angled forward. That said it works as needed so Im not removing any stars for the odd positioning.

Shave Quality: Braun Series 7 -v- Gillette Mach 3 Razor
Prior to the Braun I was using exclusively the Gillette Mach 3 Razor to shave. I shaved only every other day with the Gillette due to the cost of blades and need to replace them after only 3 shaves. I will use a good shave from the Gillette blades to judge the closeness of the Braun.
With the blades I would usually shave against the grain to get a truly baby soft stubble free shave.
The Braun, and probably no electric foil razor, will ever really match that. However, the brawn is very close with just two or three circular passes. Around the neck is where it seems to fail a bit for me and often requires many (10 or more) passes in multiple directions before I stop feeling noticeable stubble. Otherwise the rest of my face feels like when I use the razor with the grain. That is just the slightest noticeable stubble. I have never felt any burning or irritation after shaving with the Braun. The closest I come to discomfort after shaving is a dry feeling that goes away after a few minutes. Visually I feel like I am well shaved and could go to any formal event without feeling the slightest bit grungy.

Charging:
I have yet to have it run out of battery power. Even after a full 5 day week of shaving without charging (or cleaning) it still worked perfectly without issues. I would dare say you do not need a travel charger for anything under a weeks vacation. Battery life has not depreciated at all after a full year of use.

Cleaning:
Here is where this razor beats the rest hands down. With the couple of electric razors I had tried and tossed in the past I had to open the head and bang/blow out the hair after each use or they would stop doing even a remotely good job. I have never had to open the Braun and manually clean it. Dropping it in the cleaning/charging station does the job 100% perfectly. I have been through 3 refills ($3 each) since I bought this almost 1 year ago and clean it usually twice a week. The rest of the time I leave it in the car and routinely will use it 3 or 4 days in a row before cleaning with no degrading of shave. After cleaning it in the charging station it has a fresh alcohol smell and on opening it is shiny and clean inside without even a tiny bit of hair left behind. I don’t know how long it takes to clean because it’s just drop it in, press the button and forget about it. If nothing else sells you on this then the cleaning station function should. Its just that great. I have added photos before and after cleaning. You can clearly see how great a job it does.

All in all I cannot see myself going back to the ridiculously expensive blade razors again and unless something genuinely better comes out I cant see giving up my Braun Series 7. Well maybe for a Series 8 but only time will tell.
review image review image
on December 23, 2016
Braun apparently discontinued the replacement blades/foil so you're throwing your money away if you buy one of these. A few 3rd party sellers currently have the replacements for double the price or more of what they were. Because of this I'm really upset with Braun and unless they correct this problem quickly I'll never purchase any of their products again.
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2016
WARNING! WARNING! BRAUN HAS PULLED ALL REPLACEMENT HEADS FROM THE MARKET, PRESUMABLY TO TRY TO FORCE 7000-SERIES OWNERS TO "UPGRADE" TO 9000-SERIES.

I bought this not so long ago. Pardon my side story but recently when the i-Phone-priced Google Pixel phones were released I decided to go ahead and purchase a few replacement batteries and a replacement screen for my Nexus 5X. I wanted to make sure it would last me for a while. I like Project Fi and don't want to pay big bucks for a fancy new Pixel. So.... when that happened I also decided to go ahead and grab a replacement head or two for my shaver. Only to find to my shock and horror that Braun had pulled them from the shelves EVERYWHERE! I remember them being like $30 to $35 when I bought the razor... and told myself I'd just get a new head when I needed it... according to the instructions 12-18 months if I recall. Well... now (still before needing it) I've noticed that you cannot buy them from Amazon, you cannot buy them from Walmart, you cannot buy them ANYWHERE.

Initially I was hoping that it was something that was out of good faith but not broadly announced for PR reasons. So... I searched google to see if there had been a recall or something. Nope. No recall. Just Braun (I suspect) trying to force folks to upgrade to a 9000-series. CAPITALISM AT ITS WORST. Legal, but shady. SHAME ON YOU BRAUN. I will never again buy one of your products, and I strongly discourage others from doing so.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2016
This is the absolute best electric razor that I have ever purchased bar none! I am a traditional shaver with a badger brush and good lather etc. However, I like a good electric razor for travel and hurried mornings as well. I have always eyed the Brains, but never wanted to pay the higher price. In these case, you get what you pay for. My Norelco is pretty good. I am just not a big fan of the rotary action. Plus you have to go over and over and over your face to do a decent job. My Remington is now in the trash... enough said.
The Braun Series 7. Ahhhh! Wonderful. Perfectly smooth, 3 speeds. I love the cleaning/charging station. What's not to love? My face felt smooth as a baby with no burn in about one minute.
I read some reviews and avoided the Series 9 for 2 reasons. First, apparently the shave head is too large to fit under your nose. Second, they don't make or sell replacement heads, and the thing has been on the market over a year. Go with the Series 7. You will love it. I am highly satisfied!
on January 11, 2017
As an African American I tried almost every shaving item available. From cream to depilatory powder to numerous other stuff, but still managed to get razor bumps and ingrown hairs. I even tried regular clippers and still no luck.
A coworker highly recommended the Braun, and I've never tried an electric razor before. I figured why not, as nothing else has worked. So December 16 2016 I placed an order.... Almost a month later and the razor bumps and ingrown hairs have reduced tremendously. I use the Braun 7-series every other day and add a little (?) just incase. Nothing, just a smooth shave from a great product. I paid full price, wasn't offered anything, and don't really write full reviews, but this one had to be told.
If you're thinking, don't think too long.
on April 17, 2017
I am writing this review specifically for other black men as there aren't many reviews which will let you know if this shaver can perform without causing irritation and razor bumps.

This is an amazing electric shaver. I am a black guy and this is perfect for my sensitive skin. I was using a straight razor and it was causing irritation and scarring, which darkens the skin on my neck. However, the straight razor was the closest shave that I could get. Since I began using the Braun series 7 I have had ZERO irritation!! No razor bumps, no scarring, and I am still getting a close shave. The scarring that I had has began to clear up. The levels are adjustable so if you have sensitive skin you can turn down the intensity and closeness of the shave. This is a dry shaver only and it works better if you use it before you get in the shower. It doesn't shave as close if you use it after the shower.

The one that I ordered comes with a charging base which also cleans the razor so it's a fresh clean shave every time. I will not use a straight razor to shave ever again. I am very pleased with this electric shaver!!
on April 22, 2017
I have waited well over a year to review this shaver just so that I could say I fully understood its nuances. Having used all of the major brands/styles of shavers over the years I, unfortunately, can't recommend this product.

It definitely takes me longer to get a close shave than any other razor I've ever used (even the cheaper models). The center shaving element can cut you if you are not careful or are a little over aggressive in your shaving.

The cleaning & charging station is nice to have and does keep the razor reasonably clean. It can clog over time though resulting in a razor that never gets clean and it leaves a residue that you have to wipe off. The cleaning cartridges are an added consumable expense that you have to consider. However, if you are spending this much on a razor it's probably not much of a consideration.

The biggest problem is the cost of the replacement blade. It has almost doubled in price and now costs 35% of this shaver's cost. For that price, I could buy a cheaper competing shaver, use it until it's dull, throw the shaver away, buy a new one...and still save money over this replacement blade.

The older reviews may sing this shaver's praises but the times have changed...