Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on August 6, 2003
UPDATE 3/5/08:
I have to say, I was wrong but thankfully kept the Cuisinart mentioned below. I still love the design of this Braun, but I apparently got one of the several defective ones and am not taking a chance on another. While I knew the coffee on my 1st was not quite as hot as the Cuisinart, the coffee on this one came out lukewarm and stayed that way, which also made for weak coffee, and cold once you put milk in there.

I have already started the return process of the Braun, moved the Cuisinart to a counter without overhead cabinets, and learning to deal with the design flaws mentioned below. The coffee from the Cuisinart is much hotter which my husband does love (and I do after experiencing the cold and weak coffee out of this 2nd Braun). I still miss the external water level and the ease of preparation of the Braun. If they will now come up with one I can rely on, I will be glad to go back to Braun. I would still rate it 3 stars for design if I could, but have to give my 2nd purchase a 1 for quality.

UPDATE Feb 2008
After nearly 5 yrs: It is slowly dying, so I started looking for another coffeemaker, and not really wanting to spend another 70+. I bought a nice Cuisinart Brewcentral from a local club store - a little cheaper, wanted it quick, and it was "pretty". I really took the design of this Braun for granted.
Summary - Don't need near the clearance to lift the lid, the swing out filter basket is awesome, and at 5' 8", even I appreciate the external water level indicator as opposed to looking down into the back of the Cuisinart's. I don't really use the "sneak a cup" but the rare time I have, it worked fine. I'm not a coffee die-hard (though I drink coffee almost daily, and occasionally we drink a full pot) so all I can say is, it's hot enough for me, even using a little cold milk, and I've never had a problem til now. The fact that it's dying, doesn't deter me from wanting another!
Lid - You're only lifting half the lid as opposed to a whole lid for most coffee makers.
Pouring/Reservoir - This Braun has more room to pour the water into the reservoir and I can pour with my preferred left hand; Cuisinart is narrow and I can only pour with/into the right, and maybe I'll get used to it but unless you remove the filter basket first, there's a good chance you'll splash water on the filter. The Braun has almost no chance of splashing water on the filter, even with an open basket. I leave the filter basket closed while pouring water into the reservoir, then open when I'm ready to put the coffee in.
Carafe - Sure you have to be careful not to pour too fast with any carafe, and this is no exception, but at least I can get all the liquid out easily; the Cuisinart leaves liquid in the carafe (I use the carafe to pour the water into the maker, especially with the Cuisinart since the water level indicator is hard to read).

Original Review: 2003
{I have never been a coffee drinker, but decided rather than drinking a caffeinated soft drink, especially on cold mornings, I wanted to try it. I had never bought a coffee maker, but decided on this one after reading reviews and Consumer Reports. It is easy to use, I love being able to program what time I want it to come on, and for how long it should stay on. The filter basket pops right open with the press of a button, though I prefer paper filters to cleaning the gold filter. The water filter is great, I've had no signs of hard water residue. I now drink coffee nearly everyday, yet I still only like the chocolate flavored ones, and even my husband is drinking coffee and requesting it in the mornings!}
on June 21, 2009
Our last KF580 just bit the dust. We looked for another in the nearby city without success. The replacement we tried didn't work out so I ordered one on Amazon.
The complaints that other reviewers have mentioned of leaking, weak and grinds in the coffee may be caused by simple carelessness. If the filter is not put in all the way than closing the filter draw will cause it to fold over. Now the water goes outside the filter and grinds will go into the coffee and into the automatic shut off. This will cause a weak coffee with grinds. The coffee maker will leak from then on until the grinds are removed from the valve. The grinds are easily removed by holding the filter holder under running tap water while holding the valve open with a finger on the valve lever.
on March 31, 2013
This coffee pot drips and spills when pouring, unless you are really careful, especially when it is full at the 10 cup level. I had a Braun coffee maker that lasted 15 years prior to the purchase of this model. I loved it ! I am dissapointed that I did not get the same quality with this one. I have had it for about five years now and tolerate the spills but can't understand who would re-design a pot that works so poorly when the original was so great. I think Braun products were made in Germany and now in China.
on January 26, 2003
I love my morning coffee and now love making it as well. I have had an older Aromaster from Braun and used it for a very long time. This was an upgrade and I must say that we are very happy with our coffee maker now.

Update: December 29, 2007 (4 years and counting...)
My first review was published on January 26, 2003 -- I wanted to post an update this coffee maker. It is still going on strong, has caused us no problems what so ever. The fact that we no longer have to buy or use filters is a huge plus for us. My coffee drinking husband is still extremely pleased with the purchase and the coffee maker!

Just wanted to post an update....
on October 9, 2006
Wish I had heeded the advice of most of the reviewers before I purchased this. I went ahead and purchased this because it was replacing a Braun coffee maker that we had had for 10 - 15 years. After it got the new plastic taste out of it, it made good coffee. Even without the Brita Filter. Just like all the reviewers indicated, the carafe leaked and spilled badly unless you poured very slowly and carefully. Unfortunately, it has quit working after only 2 1/2 months. The seller, Etronics, is declining to do anything about it saying it is now outside of their 30 return period. That will be the last thing I buy through them. Like uhh, since they sell Braun,one would think they would have some recourse through Braun and try to help their customers. So, here I am between the proverbial rock and a hard place, try to find a Braun warranty center and wait for it to get repaired or replaced, or just bite the bullet an go buy another. (want to bet it won't be a Braun?) Additionally, what do we do for coffee in the mean time? Such are the hazards of purchasing an electric appliance on the internet.
on January 9, 2007
I purchased this unit after reading another review saying it won some award for best tasting coffee. I thought that I would like that the coffee is hotter than my old Black & Decker unit, except it is so hot the coffee tastes scalded to me. Also, using the same Star Bucks coffee as in my previous unit, the coffee produced comes out quit silty. I only make 2 cups at a time and think it may produce a better cup if one were making a 6,8 or 10 cups. The only postive I can think of is it is aesthetically pleasing.
on July 29, 2007
Gotta have my coffee every morning and don't like to wait very long. If you don't use the auto timer so it's ready for you when you get up you can still get 10 cups of great coffee in about 7 minutes. It's not your $20 coffee maker though. I had one of those before I decided to step up to this Braun. The Gold filter and the Brita water filter combine to make one very smooth pot of coffee.
on February 27, 2008
This coffee maker leaves a lot to be desired. The coffee is not as hot as I would like it to be. The old Braun coffee makers were far superior to this one. It does not have the functions of the old ones, where you could set the strength. It also does not have an alert to tell you coffee is finished or that the pot is shutting off. I am somewhat disappointed in this coffee maker.
on April 29, 2005
My previous coffe pot, a cheapie Black-n-Decker, developed a habit of overflowing; because the cheezy "sneak a cup" mechanism would not function properly, creating the equivalent of a flooding toilet.

Well, I spent $$$ right here on Amazon to buy the Braun instead, and guess what? I now have an overpriced flooding coffee toilet.

I have owned this unit for around 6 months now, and on a given day, it will..

a.) produce the Flooding Coffee Toilet effect, with grounds and coffee everywhere (15% chance)

b.) Leak so much coffee during brewing that what started out as a full pot ends up as an 8-cup pot with the remainder on the counter (80% chance). Careful observation indicates this is due to a badly designed "sneak a cup" feature. The coffee creates a surface tension on the base of the basket, and trickles off to the edge of the coffee maker instead of dripping into the carafe.

c.) Deliver the expected pot of coffee (5% chance)

[note on option b.: I keep the coffee maker on a tray, because I got tired of cleaning up after it]

I will -not- buy another Braun. I should have boxed this unit up and returned it to Amazon the first week I had it. I kept saying to myself "It must be good, it was rated the best!"

Well guess what? I would rate it a ZERO STAR, but the least Amazon will let me give it is a 1.
on March 25, 2008
I have owned this coffee maker for about a month. It is just a coffee maker, and no more. The coffee is not hot enough for my tastes, and there are virtually no features worth discussing except that it has the swing away basket which makes it easy to fill with coffee. I am truly disappointed in this product.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question