Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 25, 2017
I absolutely love this shaver. It is the best I have ever used and I have been using electric razors since 1991. Been using Norelco all that time, but when I tried this razor, it gave me the closest smoothest shave I have experienced ever. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The reason I tried the Braun was that I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the Norelco brand. The shaves are not as close or as comfortable as the Braun. Also, in my opinion Norelco has slipped greatly in quality, and customer satisfaction concerns.
136 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on October 24, 2016
I don't know what has happened at Braun and the production of these replacement foils, but I've had a horrible time with the last 4 purchased. Over the last couple of years they don't seem to last as long. Packaging states that you should replace these every 18 months. WHAT!! I can't go more than 5 months without having to replace them. It just wears down so quickly compared to when I purchased these from over 2 or 3 years ago. I shave in the morning and at night, so there is not much stubble. I don't have thick facial hair and I'm a small person with a small face - so it doesn't take long.
The last one I purchased here on Amazon - after 3 months the foil cutter part separated from the razor as you can see in the attacked picture. I then called Customer Support with Braun and they offered to send me a NEW replacement. It took over 2 months to get it as the first one was sent to the WRONG address as the customer support person typed in the INCORRECT address. Then they want to send my replacement for my replacement that I didn't receive through certified mail and I had to sign for it. So, 2 months later I get the new one. Then I open the package and
GUESS WHAT - it's broken - see the picture below that has the plastic side of the razor (fresh out of package) is broken off!!!
Here's what I don't get. They now package these in a cardboard backed packaging that offers NO PROTECTION to these foil cutters. The previous ones you used to get were in the strong plastic packaging that protected and secured the foil cutter so it couldn't get smashed or easily stolen.
I am still unsure what to do with Braun replacements as I ended up finding ANOTHER one at a local Walmart as I didn't want to deal with the horrible customer experience that Braun now seems to have.

I'm not sure when it comes to replace my current Braun Razor if I would even consider a Braun. The lack of recognizing the failure of their foil cutters is the quality control problem they need to rectify quickly and before they continue to loose customers!!
review imagereview imagereview image
312 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on December 10, 2015
My one star rating has to do with Braun customer support. I bought this razor and I was very impressed with the quality of the product as well as the shave it provided. After 3 months of using the razor, I noticed that the battery started to leak. I contacted customer support and I provided a picture of where the battery was leaking (where the charger plugs in). I requested a replacement razor since this was clearly a manufacturer defect. The response was that they can't simply replace my razor and instead, I must send the razor to their service center where it will take 15 business days so that they can fix and send it back. I was quite disappointed to find out that Braun didn't supply a prepaid shipping label, so I had to pay to ship my razor to a Braun service center when I only had it for 3 months.

My razor was delivered to the service center on 11/6/15. It is now 12/10/15 and I still don't have my razor. I've contacted Braun customer support multiple times to try and get an update. Braun is unable to locate my razor and they are having issues communicating with their service center. So far, they are refusing to send me a replacement.

What's so disappointing is the fact that I really enjoyed the razor, but at this point, I'll never buy another Braun product again since I know they won't provide adequate support.
review image
1,016 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on January 4, 2017
I purchased the Braun 790cc several years ago. I could not have been more satisfied. The shaving head lasted maybe 9 or 10 months before I had to replace it and I was actually ok with that. The replacement heads were between $35 and $45. Not an unreasonable cost but they now only last about 4 months. Now I can't even find the replacement head for less than $100 and am actually lucky to find one at all. Braun used to have a stellar reputation, especially their razors, but unfortunately is now suffering with quality and supply issues. I would not recommend Braun until these issues are addressed. A real shame I might add.
264 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 29, 2010
I've accumulated quite a few electric razors over the years, with the three most recent being the new models from Norelco, Braun and Panasonic. So, thought I'd do a comparison to perhaps help those who are debating between these high-end models.

But first let's get a basic question out of the way: do you have to spend this much to get a good shave from an electric shaver? Absolutely not. Lower-end models such as the Braun Series 5, the 7000 and 8000 Norelco series and the Panasonic ArcIV are great shavers. What you get for the extra money is a slight improvement in the shave, a bit better design, and a few somewhat useful bells and whistles.

Build quality - all are very nicely put together. The Braun feels the most substantial; the 3D feels the most "plasticy."

Sound - the 3D runs very quietly; the Braun and Panasonic are far more "buzzy" but not too loud.

Overall feel - for me, the Braun feels the most comfortable to hold. Easy to grip even if your hands are wet. The Panasonic is a close second. The 3D feels the most awkward. Not horrible, but not all that comfortable either.

Dry shave: closeness - this is a tough call, with the Braun and the Panasonic both providing very close shaves. The 3D does a pretty good job, but my face does not feel as smooth as with the others.

Dry shave: speed - the 3D is the clear winner here. Just mows through my beard, with a total shave time of less than 3 min. The Panasonic takes about 4 min for a good shave; the Braun clocks in at about 5 min.

Dry shave: neck - this is the most difficult area for most shavers, and all of these models left a few errant hairs here and there. The 3D did the best but it comes at the expense of some irritation (see the next note). The Braun and Panasonic are about equal.

Dry shave: comfort - Braun is the winner for me, followed by the Panasonic. Zero redness even in the more sensitive spots (jaw line and neck). The 3D left me with some red spots on my neck. Nothing severe, but it is clearly a notch below the others on the comfort meter.

Wet shave - this is limited to just the Panasonic and the 3D. I'm not a big fan of wet shaving, but both of these do a very good job. The Panny works best with a very thin layer of gel-type cream; the 3D works best with a heavier lather (I got good results with Edge). Both provided close shaves, with the Panny a bit more gentle than the 3D. But, the 3D did a better job on the neck and jaw line.

**Update: Just tried the new Remington Alphagel shaving cream and that works very well with both the Panny and the Norelco. The scent is a bit heavy (menthol) but the no-foam consistency is a perfect match for a wet electric shave. Much better than any other shave cream I've tried. I reviewed the Alphagel if you want more info.

Maneuverability - this is where the Braun really shines for me. I have a mustache, and edging it with the Braun is a piece of cake. The 3D takes some practice, but it can do a decent job. Worst by far was the Panasonic - the huge head makes it very hard to create a clean edge around the `stash.

Auto cleaning - I love the cleaning station from Braun. Works well, cleans well, and the razor comes out lemony-fresh. The Panasonic cleaning station is OK, but is louder, takes longer, and the water-based cleaning solution is not as effective. I can't comment on the 3D station since the model I bought didn't come with it.

Manual cleaning - both the Panasonic and 3D are very easy to clean manually. They actually don't need the auto cleaning station (although it is handy for storage for the Panny). The cutters are removable from the 3D (unlike the Arcitec models) for extra cleaning every so often. The Braun can be cleaned with water, but it's hard to get it very clean since the cutter block is a single unit.

Lots more that I could say about these razors, but this review is already way too long. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the Braun. While not perfect, it excels in several areas and feels the best. It also offers three settings (gentle, normal and intensive) that vary the speed of the cutters, a feature the other two lack. I find that very helpful. Plus, replacement heads are easily available and often discounted (as are the cleaning cartridges). But, the 3D and the Panasonic are also very good shavers and will get the job done. If you are willing to spend the money, any one of these would be a good choice.

Note: I have the Braun 790cc-4 since I was able to get it at a fantastic price (on another site - sorry Amazon!) on Black Friday. But, under normal pricing situations, the 760 is cheaper and a better value. They work the same, with the differences limited to color of the razor, type of read-out on the handle, and the fact that the 760 lacks the "quick clean" feature in the cleaning station. None of these are really significant, so if you go with the Braun, pick the one that is cheaper.

But, you have to learn how to use an electric razor properly to get a good shave. Some quick tips:

1) Don't press hard - use an easy touch. If the heads are getting warm or hot, you're pressing too hard.
2) Shave against the grain when using a foil; shave in circular motions when using a rotary.
3) Stretch your skin taut when shaving your neck
4) Wait at least an hour after getting up before shaving (everyone's face gets a bit puffy when sleeping).

Happy shaving!

>>Update June 2012: Thought I'd post an update after 1.5 years of use. No complaints at all - works as good as the day I bought it. I'm also pleased to report that I have not yet had to replace the foil. Although I have several shavers, this remains my favorite, and I have yet to find another shaver that provides the same blend of solid build quality, ease of use, and outstanding shaving performance. It's still a 5-star razor in my book.

>>Update August 2013: Still working like a champ! Zero problems with functionality; fit and finish still looks very nice. I did end up replacing the head a couple of months ago, and it was surprising how much of a difference that made. I didn't really notice the foil and blades wearing since it occurs so slowly, but really noticed the improvement with the new head. I'm not going to wait so long to replace the head next time.

>>Update July 2014: Humming along without a problem. I did find that the head can be cleaned very well if I use an ultrasonic cleaner. Not nearly as quick and easy as using the cleaning station, but if you find yourself without any cleaning cartridges (as I did), an ultrasonic cleaner gets the head very clean. That method of cleaning does not add lubrication as the Braun cleaning fluid does, so I give it a quick spray with Norelco shaver spray after an ultrasonic cleaning.

>Update May 2016: Zero problems to report. Getting some wear on the silver parts and the handle has taken a ding or three due to getting knocked about while traveling, but the shaver continues to put in a good day's work without complaint. However, I recently had the opportunity to use the Panasonic ES-LT7N-S. I have to give the edge to that as my current favorite. It is new, so the price is still way up there, but Panny fixed a lot of the issues/complaints I had with their other high-end models. If your wallet doesn't complain about the price of the Panny ES, it's well worth considering along with the Braun 7 series.
3,800 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on September 4, 2015
I bought the Braun Series 7- 790cc Electric Shaver just about 1 year ago and wanted to wait until I needed to replace the shaver head before reviewing it. Per the instructions the shaver head should wear out in one year of “normal” use. Since that is a bit hard to define I will just describe “MY normal use” and let you decide where you fit in.
FYI: I bought mine on sale for $166.99 on Amazon.

For the record I have thin light brown straight facial hair and cannot grow a good beard. Just Google “Keanu Reeves Beard” and you will get the idea. I can usually go the weekend with little more than what others call a 5 o’clock shadow.
I use the razor every weekday for about 10 to 15 minutes to shave my face and neck in full. I shave in the car on the way to work (shame) and I tend to leave the razor in the car for most of the week not on the charger. (More below)
I rarely use the razor on the weekends, maybe 2 or so times a month.

Ease of use:
It fits well in my average sized hands. The vibration is noticeable but not at all uncomfortable even after extended use. The tilting razor head works very well to work its way around face contours and never requires an awkward position to reach any part of my face or neck. The sideburn shaver is less well positioned and requires a mirror and a weird hand position to get it right, holding the razor upside down and angled forward. That said it works as needed so Im not removing any stars for the odd positioning.

Shave Quality: Braun Series 7 -v- Gillette Mach 3 Razor
Prior to the Braun I was using exclusively the Gillette Mach 3 Razor to shave. I shaved only every other day with the Gillette due to the cost of blades and need to replace them after only 3 shaves. I will use a good shave from the Gillette blades to judge the closeness of the Braun.
With the blades I would usually shave against the grain to get a truly baby soft stubble free shave.
The Braun, and probably no electric foil razor, will ever really match that. However, the brawn is very close with just two or three circular passes. Around the neck is where it seems to fail a bit for me and often requires many (10 or more) passes in multiple directions before I stop feeling noticeable stubble. Otherwise the rest of my face feels like when I use the razor with the grain. That is just the slightest noticeable stubble. I have never felt any burning or irritation after shaving with the Braun. The closest I come to discomfort after shaving is a dry feeling that goes away after a few minutes. Visually I feel like I am well shaved and could go to any formal event without feeling the slightest bit grungy.

Charging:
I have yet to have it run out of battery power. Even after a full 5 day week of shaving without charging (or cleaning) it still worked perfectly without issues. I would dare say you do not need a travel charger for anything under a weeks vacation. Battery life has not depreciated at all after a full year of use.

Cleaning:
Here is where this razor beats the rest hands down. With the couple of electric razors I had tried and tossed in the past I had to open the head and bang/blow out the hair after each use or they would stop doing even a remotely good job. I have never had to open the Braun and manually clean it. Dropping it in the cleaning/charging station does the job 100% perfectly. I have been through 3 refills ($3 each) since I bought this almost 1 year ago and clean it usually twice a week. The rest of the time I leave it in the car and routinely will use it 3 or 4 days in a row before cleaning with no degrading of shave. After cleaning it in the charging station it has a fresh alcohol smell and on opening it is shiny and clean inside without even a tiny bit of hair left behind. I don’t know how long it takes to clean because it’s just drop it in, press the button and forget about it. If nothing else sells you on this then the cleaning station function should. Its just that great. I have added photos before and after cleaning. You can clearly see how great a job it does.

All in all I cannot see myself going back to the ridiculously expensive blade razors again and unless something genuinely better comes out I cant see giving up my Braun Series 7. Well maybe for a Series 8 but only time will tell.
review imagereview image
73 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on February 16, 2018
Spoiler: Overall, Panasonic makes the best shaver, Wirecutter reviews to the contrary notwithstanding. The pluses and drawbacks of my shaving experiences of closeness, comfort, utility and reliability for each, scaled 1-10 (worst to first):

Braun: Pluses: Solid 10 on reliability; it would be a BMW if it were a car. It's almost as heavy. It gets a 5 on utility because I don't find the displays to be intuitive and because when the trimmer is deployed the shaver head blocks my view of the trimmer edge, which makes trimming around the ears dicey. Also, the deployment design is stiff making it challenging to deploy the trimmer with slippery wet hands. Drawbacks: Closeness is a 4 for me, because so many passes around my lips and jawline are required that I get razor burn. In-grown hairs are the price I pay for missing. I also find that even if I shave in my evening shower after working out I often need to shave these areas again when I get ready for work in the following mornings. Comfort gets a 1, like shaving with a garden rake. There are 5 settings for "sensitive and gentle;" however any but the most aggressive setting means giving up already sub-par closeness. Overall, I give this comparatively expensive shaver a 3. The cleaning reservoir is just irksome to me, a shameless attempt to emulate Gillette...you know, over time the blades cost more than the razor. Neither Panasonic nor Norelco uses this costly gimmick.

Norelco: Pluses: This shaver is the most comfortable of the three, a clear 10 on my scale. Even in the usually sensitive areas around my neck, jawline and lips, Norelco glides. I also found this shaver to be highly reliable, a 9 on my scale. The only reason it isn't a 10 is because it lags a bit as it approaches the end of it's charge. A bonus is that this is by far the quietest of the three; it's whisper wakes no one during morning shaves. I give it a 7 on utility...the trimmer deploys easily and is engineered to be used with precision, even in hard to get at places around my ears. Ergonomically the Norelco is also superior, designed to fit comfortably and securely in hand. Changing the blades, which I find to be simple but awkward, is the other factor in the gap between 7 and 10. Drawback: For me it's a 1 on closeness. When I used this shaver, I shaved 2-3 times a day. This could possibly be because the shaver I purchsed, Philips Norelco Shaver 4100 (Model AT810/41), is not the top of the line as are the Braun and all of the Panasonics I have owned. Despite its many pluses, overall, I give the Norelco only a 5, because closeness is king.

Panasonic: Plusses: All of the 8 or so Panasonic shavers I have owned over the years have been tops for closeness, 10s all of them. Similarly, the shaver's gyroscopic floating head rates it a 9 on my comfort scale. Drawbacks: Reliability and utility are for me related with these shavers and they get a 3. Like those before it, the last model I purchased, Panasonic ES8103S Arc3 Men's Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Nanotech Blades, 3-Blade Cordless with Flexible Pivoting Head, had all the bells and whistles. As long as the Panasonic shavers' elaborate displays work, they are great. They signal how much battery charge remains and when to change the head (too frequently). The reason they score a 3 for me (and the reason I have owned so many of these shavers) is that they don't work very long, usually 3-6 months. Panasonic is good about replacing them until the 2-year original warranty expires. After that, the replacements are warranted for six months, which tells me that Panasonic doesn't expect them to work as new for more than six months. Overall, I rate this shaver an 8, because it's a 10 for closeness and comfort. Closeness and comfort are king and queen.

I wish there were a shaver that shaved as close as the Panasonic with the comfort and utility of a Norelco and the reliability of a Braun..Wouldn't that be the bee's knees? I also wish I could send my Braun back to Braun, but I'm a month outside their generous 60-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
20 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2016
Style Name: 7865cc|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
UPDATE: December 8, 2017...I have used this razor almost daily for over a year, both at home and on vacation, and it continues to perform in a 5-Star manner! I just replaced the blade/foil cassette this week when the status light came on, and I'm pleased with the renewed close shaves, even though I had no issues prior. This razor is still quiet, holds a charge for a week of daily use, and travels well.
I run the cleaning cycle on the average of once per month, so I've only replaces the cleaning fluid cartridges twice. (I use spray air to clean the head every other day.) I doubt if I will ever switch back to Panasonic razors after this machine's excellent and consistent performance!

I've been using an electric razor for the past 20-plus years; my last two razors have been made by Panasonic, and they've performed very well. When I had the opportunity to test and review this Braun model, I jumped at the chance to try out an "always clean and charged" variety. It's nice to start the day with a fresh, full-powered electric razor, provided said razor does a good job of shaving!

The Braun Series 7 is up to the task, delivering a close, comfortable shave...and takes less time than my old Panasonic does to achieve comparable results. Being new, it's appreciably quieter than my other razors; don't know how long that will last, but I appreciate it now! What's NOT quiet is the sound emitted by the charging base when going through the cleaning cycle. On the other hand, the cleaning cycle doesn't take more than a few minutes, so this isn't a war stopper. I also like the flexible shaving head, which glides over the various protrusions and angles of my noggin without causing irritation. I've found that locking the shaver's head in place while shaving my upper lip and also my neck improves closeness. I have tried the different "Intensity Settings", and prefer the full-strength Green Light power.

The only thing missing from this razor to make it 200% awesome is some kind of protective cap for travel. Even though the travel case is hard-sided, I can see potential damage to the foil head covering during transit. (I plan to use my Panasonic razor for travel, and keep this Braun at home, so no worries.) I also want to caution purchasers to lay a cloth down on your bathroom counter before opening the cleaning solution cartridge, as it got a bit messy even when carefully removing the cap.
13 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on December 23, 2016
Braun apparently discontinued the replacement blades/foil so you're throwing your money away if you buy one of these. A few 3rd party sellers currently have the replacements for double the price or more of what they were. Because of this I'm really upset with Braun and unless they correct this problem quickly I'll never purchase any of their products again.
95 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on December 24, 2015
The last one I used broke after a few months while shaving. It scratched up my face badly. See picture. Given the price tag, it's unacceptable to have such bad quality.
review image